• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

There is more than one possible issue and always has been since electric start was put on sleds. #1 is the solenoid sticks on. That means starter is running all the time. Eventually your oneway bearing engages enough to spin the starter at engine rpm. It burns starter up very fast then. Once it siezes it can easily take out teeth on starter,ring gear and from turning can fry your stator when it acts like a generator. #2 is it just isnt aligned properly or ring gear is subquality. #3Remember the starter is always engaged just not turning because the oneway bearing doesnt allow it once engine speed is higher than starter speed. This One way can fail this could cause grinding noise and intermittent engagement. This could be what is going on with your Studroes. Try to think positive. Only Viper/7000 I saw starter fail it was just a bad starter. Hopefully not a common thing and really sucks Studroes.

As bad as it is it's under warranty and it happened in your garage and you didn't need the rope of shame

Ya well check this out 2015 mtx just over 500 mi on it GALLERY=media, 485]1 by N2DEEP posted Jan 21, 2015 at 9:26 PM[/GALLERY]
starter guts everywhere
I lost all my faith In yamaha, both my vipers like hanging out at the shop more than on the snow for a number of reasons

Ya well check this out 2015 mtx just over 500 mi on it GALLERY=media, 485]1 by N2DEEP posted Jan 21, 2015 at 9:26 PM[/GALLERY]
starter guts everywhere
I lost all my faith In yamaha, both my vipers like hanging out at the shop more than on the snow for a number of reasons

Wow, 2015s aren't immune to this problem? That sucks............

Mine #*$&@ the bed last season at the 700 mile mark. IT was acting funny a couple of starts during a ride last March and then just stopped working; cost me a $400 and 2 hour ride back in a tow truck. Dealer replaced it under warranty.
In hind site and as of late, the times when it does not fire up and if I re-engage without turning the key completely off and recycling the fuel pump again it sometimes kicks back during that next attempt. I very firmly believe that kick back is what is causing these failures, especially ones where parts break loose. My failure last year did not have any grinding it just did nothing. If not for anything else, I glad it died that way and not after grinding metal into the crank...

The fact that Yamaha did not supply the ECU with their motor is very questionable and IMO very suspect as to the need to reflash and the starter failures. And mine has been starting erratically again. Goes from cranking like an old worn out car to firing up like the fuel injected beast that it is. May have to d that reflash after all, just sucks transporting it back and forth.

Wow just got a call from my dealer. I dropped my wife's 14 ltx with 1000 mi on it for the revers not working and a blown front shock, when they went to fire it up to bring it in the shop it BLEW ALL THE TEETH off the starter. So now i have 2 sleds side by side with the motors out. Thanks Yamaha I love riding my $34,000.000 receipt around its so fun and you should see the looks I get, their like hay man where'd you get that bitchin piece of paper, I'm like f#%k ya man it's a YAMAHA don't get one they'll give you big bitchin paper cuts lol. I think you just lost me Yamaha too bad

Mine went at 1032 miles dealer pulled motor and oil pan said it was a $1500.00 warranty clame

Are most starters going out on sleds with starting issues? I do know there were a few nytros with starters going out. Don't know the cause of those. Just wondering if its the starting issues with the viper doing it.

Subaru2006

I can say that yes mine had a starting issue, it didn't start very consistently, hot or cold it didn't matter, but it always started. Dealer has done 3 and so far, all of them have done the same exact thing as what mine did

Ok so guys who have had this happen already, how many miles do u have on the new replacement parts?
Would love to hear the warranty discussions on this one. Who is at fault, Yamaha or Arctic Cat? I know for us Viper owners it's purely Yamaha but I'm sure Yamaha holds AC responsible for everything besides the motor. Is this a starter issue or is it caused by the ignition/fuel injection?

Would love to hear the warranty discussions on this one. Who is at fault, Yamaha or Arctic Cat? I know for us Viper owners it's purely Yamaha but I'm sure Yamaha holds AC responsible for everything besides the motor. Is this a starter issue or is it caused by the ignition/fuel injection?

I would like to think it's related to either ignition or fuel causing the engine to kick back while trying to start. I thought this would have been corrected with the new ECU flash programming.

I blame YAMAHA what is that old saying "when you lay with cats you get fleas".

Wow...im glad i bought this thing more an more every day! i guess the bottom line is we all knew including me we were buying a cat with a yami paint job. all sleds have issues. being a first time yami owner and hearing these quality issues is messed up!!! maybe i should have stuck with Skidoo at least they handle good my viper is terrible. thats tonights project, mess with the suspension. i hope this sled works out i paid through the a## for it!!

Back