• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Knockout kit

There is a bit of interference fit. There is a step in the ring. You don't need a press to install it, a brass hammer or just flip it over and press it down on a flat surface and put your weight on it.
If it did get loose, I don't think it can go anywhere.
This seems like a better solution than those that were using Loctite. I never liked that idea.

Mine have been shipped, but I dont have them here yet
It seems to me that items that have to get shipped across the border have been taking a bit more time lately.
I ordered a part from a shop in Canada that is only 2 hours away and it took a week to get here.

i would bet that the grease acts like a cushion between the splines, the thicker and more pasty the grease is the better.. prob a really thic silicone grease that does not thin when heated.... prob also will act like a fluid dampner, ... as long as you do not fill it too much with grease that when you push snub back into place...it doesn't hydraulic the seal and push it off seat.

There is a bit of interference fit. There is a step in the ring. You don't need a press to install it, a brass hammer or just flip it over and press it down on a flat surface and put your weight on it.
If it did get loose, I don't think it can go anywhere.
This seems like a better solution than those that were using Loctite. I never liked that idea.

Loctite still should be done to hold the bearing in the housing to keep it from pushing inward. Nothing wrong with that, we've been doing it for years.

Loctite still should be done to hold the bearing in the housing to keep it from pushing inward. Nothing wrong with that, we've been doing it for years.
I agree there, I used a bit of red when installing this "kit"
I was talking about using Loctite on the splines to try to get rid of the clutch rattle. Making that stub shaft connection solid to the crank seemed like a bad idea in my mind.

The only way this thing can actually retain grease is if the seal (oring) goes onto crank far enough to be past the end of the male splines. Oring can't seal on splines.
I would want to see measurements. At this moment, I'm not 100% sure the stub goes in far enough to get that oring in far enough to work.
Maybe can do some measurements when they do an install.

This will extend clutch life as well as there will be less 'hammering' of the clutch components with the grease being a cushion.

The only way this thing can actually retain grease is if the seal (oring) goes onto crank far enough to be past the end of the male splines. Oring can't seal on splines.
I would want to see measurements. At this moment, I'm not 100% sure the stub goes in far enough to get that oring in far enough to work.
Maybe can do some measurements when they do an install.
I'm thinking it does and will hold the grease well knowing where it goes now.

Pulled this pic from the other stubshaft post too.

1701563415369.png

I'm thinking it does and will hold the grease well knowing where it goes now.

Pulled this pic from the other stubshaft post too.

View attachment 174328
Well, this pic helps to show my question. Notice how short the distance is between where splines end (as you travel inward) and where the main bearing is. The oring on this gizmo would have to end up in that zone for it to be able to seal around crank.
I hope someone can measure depths to confirm.

Well, this pic helps to show my question. Notice how short the distance is between where splines end (as you travel inward) and where the main bearing is. The oring on this gizmo would have to end up in that zone for it to be able to seal around crank.
I hope someone can measure depths to confirm.

I can measure it when my kit arrives. I'm sure it seals on the shaft, if it didn't it would be worthless right.

If you look at the picture Stain provided in post #60, you can see they have the 0-ring offset towards the engine.
I agree it has to seal to keep the grease from working its way out.

I ordered this kit today. But the web site at TD makes reference to some 2017 Sidewinder's use a different shaft that this kit will not work with. Does anybody know how to tell the difference without tearing it down?
Well I will answer this myself. On my 2017 RTX the kit went on no problem. After I figured out that the stub shaft only fits one way. As one spline is slightly different.

Back