• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lots of testing and believe we have the offset nailed down

this thread should not even exist,fix the root cause of the problem and its not machining anything!!Quality Control!!!

I thought removing the float in the secondary clutch was supposed to help?
Yes that's the idea. I was bringing that up as a possibility for something to change on #1 . Is he running a bunch of float? if he is lock it down and see if he continues to blow belts

Thunder Products have you done any testing with the Utimax XS825 belt ? Not that it is a cure all but I have been having real good luck with it on my old turbo Viper and now on my Winder

TPAY243 - Yes, we have tried all kinds of belts, Carbon Fiber 40C4313, 40C4340, Ultimax XS825, Arctic Cat belts 0627-102, Stock 8JP and 8DN.

So belt blower #1 continues.. Different kind of break though.. That could be a clue! So IMO this kind of blow is not heat related, but more binding and or belt whip. So is #1 have float on the secondary? Knapp mentions the possibility of the secondary hanging outward on hard pull? If floating in secondary.
Possible binding >spring , roller. I know when I blew 2 belts in the first 500 miles I could almost do it at will.. Hard pull let off and back on it fairly quick. So the belt kind of hangs and has slack and BAM like a whip. Breaks fairly clean in one spot.. NOT into 500 pieces. M2C

Sled #1 has 1MM of float

this thread should not even exist,fix the root cause of the problem and its not machining anything!!Quality Control!!!

Exactly

So I had a chance to look at the 2018 BTX, the clutch had definitely moved in. I pressed it out and cleaned bearing and housing, put green loctite and pressed back in. Now it took some force to press out and in, I under stand the slap of the clutch blowing a belt is quite severe at high speed, if the bearing is so tight in the housing is the loctite enough to keep it in place? Also when re seating the bearing I pressed it in by pushing on the internal end of the stub shaft, is there any concern by forcing on the inner race doing it this way?

So I had a chance to look at the 2018 BTX, the clutch had definitely moved in. I pressed it out and cleaned bearing and housing, put green loctite and pressed back in. Now it took some force to press out and in, I under stand the slap of the clutch blowing a belt is quite severe at high speed, if the bearing is so tight in the housing is the loctite enough to keep it in place? Also when re seating the bearing I pressed it in by pushing on the internal end of the stub shaft, is there any concern by forcing on the inner race doing it this way?

Each one i have done i freeze the shaft/bearing in freezer for 1 hr than put housing in heat(oven or anything that will reach 250.
The bearing slides in no issue this way

Good approach, and to press out? I guess a collar to slide over stub shaft and press on inner race would be safest, when I pressed out I went directly on clutch end of shaft, in hindsight probably not the best approach. Thanks yamamarc!!

Anyone removed the stub shaft from a 2021?? I tried when brand new. Came out so far then hit a hard stop. used bolt, a washer and large socket as a slide hammer to remove. wrapped on it for a good while and it wouldn't come free, so put it back together.

wondering now though if i should try again?

Anyone removed the stub shaft from a 2021?? I tried when brand new. Came out so far then hit a hard stop. used bolt, a washer and large socket as a slide hammer to remove. wrapped on it for a good while and it wouldn't come free, so put it back together.

Warm the engine up to temp and try it again. The internal seal is what's holding it up, once the seal is warmer it will come right out.

Warm the engine up to temp and try it again. The internal seal is what's holding it up, once the seal is warmer it will come right out.

Thanks Mike.

I can see inside, it’s that far out! Just hits a hard stop and won’t go further. Will give it another try!

Thanks Mike.

I can see inside, it’s that far out! Just hits a hard stop and won’t go further. Will give it another try!

Yes, you gotta fix that.

Just warm the engine, and pull it off, it will be much easier once warmed up.

Mine was a pain.
I got the housing out so far then turned the housing not to be aligned with threaded holes and used 1/4" bolts, nuts and washers to get it apart (like a jacking bolt)

How long are you guys letting the locite cure? I've got the the offset just under 58 mm, 57.72 on the first sled, going to tackle mine next week. Yamamarc I see you are in Massey, how are the trails up your way this year? I used to spend a lot of time In Espanola this time of year doing dredging work at the Domtar mill and every year I'd plan to bring my sled up but never did. And are you putting any sealant on the housing when you bolt it back up?

How long are you guys letting the locite cure? I've got the the offset just under 58 mm, 57.72 on the first sled, going to tackle mine next week. Yamamarc I see you are in Massey, how are the trails up your way this year? I used to spend a lot of time In Espanola this time of year doing dredging work at the Domtar mill and every year I'd plan to bring my sled up but never did. And are you putting any sealant on the housing when you bolt it back up?

I let it set for 24hrs(not sure the actual curing time.. no sealant needed on flange.

Right on trails are starting to get beautiful...I am doing this riding today.
When will you be up in Espanola? I work next Monday to Thursday then on vacation for a few weeks. If you come up and want to ride give me a shout!!

705 923 0113
Marc

20210211_073811.jpg

Changed jobs, no longer go up but did for a good ten years or so, planted trees up near Massey back in the nineties as well, used to stay at that motel with the dinosaur on the lawn lol. Would have loved to take you up the offer. Used to dredge up in Onaping as well at the Glencore mine.

The green loctite has worked for the ones we have done.

All of these snub shafts come apart hard. In the press they come apart with a bang, literally scare the crap out of you.
To the comment above where the slap of the movable sheave slams the fixed sheave, I would have never thought of these snub shafts moving in the way they do.

Back