• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lots of testing and believe we have the offset nailed down

**Update**

Belt blower #1
Going to try locking down the secondary today
After trying that, going to switch to a previous style primary as for how many belts this thing has blown in the last month (almost up to 10 belts now), the SW primary is not looking good. The cast tower scallops are bent over and the clutch is starting to stick.

**Update**

Belt blower #1
Going to try locking down the secondary today
After trying that, going to switch to a previous style primary as for how many belts this thing has blown in the last month (almost up to 10 belts now), the SW primary is not looking good. The cast tower scallops are bent over and the clutch is starting to stick.

Been there done that. If the clutch is sticking its done. Time for the old style Apex clutch and like you said then lock the secondary down. I found I have to lock the secondary down. If it floats out like mine does, (because I use shims inside the secondary for belt deflection) and it just freely floats outward doing this, it it's put under power, the secondary does not move inward until you let off the power, I don't care how well it is greased and moves while just sitting there. Try it on the stand with the brake on or track dyno and you will see what I'm talking about. The secondary stays stuck outward, it does not move inward like it is supposed to.

Now if you still float like the stock sled does using shims or a deflection adjuster against the helix, where the helix pushes the secondary into position at low speed or idle, this does no seem to be as big an issue. It's already against the inside bearing as you apply power so it never gets time to actually float out while under power. IMO its best to just lock them into position so they line up at full shift.

Can you and is it advisable to lock it down when using a belt deflection device.

What is "locking down secondary"?
Sorry I'm poor in english..

And what is the best way to lock it down?

**Update**

Belt blower #1

Original clutch is on my bench and the rollers are completely stuck. The clutch needs major help....

Sled has Apex (previous style) clutch now installed.

No phone calls yet, so just waiting to hear back.

**Update 2/15/21**

All belt blowers, #2 on on.... are not having issues anymore and with more miles on everyday/weekend, they are on the same belt after the 57.5-58mm offset change.

Belt blower #1 is back in my shop. Not a belt blower anymore....but the belt is hitting something as the belt is trimming the top cogs off on one edge. See pic

634947637.jpg

**Update 2/15/21**

All belt blowers, #2 on on.... are not having issues anymore and with more miles on everyday/weekend, they are on the same belt after the 57.5-58mm offset change.

Belt blower #1 is back in my shop. Not a belt blower anymore....but the belt is hitting something as the belt is trimming the top cogs off on one edge. See pic

View attachment 159685

Yes it is. Possible its ballooning into the clutch guard or something? So what if you just wrap up the secondary spring tighter to eliminate the ballooning? I tested one of your orange secondary springs on my drill press scale in the winder secondary, and ended up putting more wrap on it then you guys were recommending by quite a bit, no adverse effects at all, just need to adjust clutching a bit for the tighter wrap. It gets rid of the whip and ballooning of the belt, backshifts better and keeps a better hold on the belt. I saw no loss in speed or ET either so really a win win what I see.

Yes it is. Possible its ballooning into the clutch guard or something? So what if you just wrap up the secondary spring tighter to eliminate the ballooning? I tested one of your orange secondary springs on my drill press scale in the winder secondary, and ended up putting more wrap on it then you guys were recommending by quite a bit, no adverse effects at all, just need to adjust clutching a bit for the tighter wrap. It gets rid of the whip and ballooning of the belt, backshifts better and keeps a better hold on the belt. I saw no loss in speed or ET either so really a win win what I see.

Depends on the riding the user does and which weights they use make a difference. Also watching belt temps.

Most of our customers should be running 3-2 with our orange secondary spring.

Yes, going to check everywhere for ballooning of his belt.

Mike, How stiff is the orange spring on your press compared to the stock or Dalton B/O? I have always had great luck with the thunder spring from 40-60 degrees of wrap. I have used it stock, with Powertrail SM and now MS 16. I am currently liking 60 with the MS 16 SM tune with a 35 helix and xs belt. Also have never blown a belt even when offset was set at 60mm (now 57.8)from factory and used the JP belt with stock motor. I live on a 31 mile lake and do make many long high speed runs.

Last edited:

Back