• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My RTX LE 50th BUILD THREAD-ROCKERDAN

Mirrors for Procross HandGuards

I had used the BRP "2 screw" type handguard mirrors on my 14 etec. They are the ones that were used on the solid color BRP factory guards in 14 and prior, before the new clear guards came out which have a swivel mirror now.

These ended up mounting really nice, and are very stealth looking! With these procross guards, they are quite wide and stick out further them most ive seen, this allows the mirror to be mounted within the guard pretty much, and still allows for a acceptable view rearward. Before anyone asks, no they dont replace a full size mirror, but I have been using this size/style mirror since 06 on all sleds, and I just want to see the headlight of bud, that all i care about, and they dont vibrate, and they will pass Qc. mirror laws.

I wanted to use the stock large head black torx screws that come in guards kit, so I had to drill out the last hole on the procross guard, which holds on the cover plate on back, with tiny screws....Removed that last outermost tiny screw, drilled out hole with a 9/64'' bit, and then used the new black screw. The screws drew in the plastic bracket of mirror, bending it to match, and made them very tight. I added a small patch of two sided tape to backside before screwing, so they can never swivel/move. Solid!

Dan

IMG_9826.JPG
IMG_9827.JPG
IMG_9828.JPG
IMG_9830.JPG
IMG_9831.JPG
IMG_9832.JPG
IMG_9834.JPG
IMG_9835.JPG
IMG_9837.JPG
IMG_9838.JPG
IMG_9839.JPG
IMG_9840.JPG
IMG_9841.JPG

Like the cat hand guards...but I would want to be able to turn the LED's on and off when I want. What kind of switch would I need?

GPS- Garmin 2797

I did a large in-depth write up last winter when Tom asked me to install the same 7" GPS onto his SW that I had on my Doo...So I wont go into too much detail here.

My Detailed Garmin 2797 GPS Install link: https://ty4stroke.com/threads/7-inch-bigscreen-gps-garmin-2757-on-sidewinder-crash-pad.147501/

Basically removed my 1200 DOO setup, and installed it directly onto the SW which only needed a few tweaks. So it did not take long at all this time round. Making the bracket is most of the work, and mine did not need much to make it fit the SW.

I cant say enough about having a 7'' screen on your crash pad, its incredible for touring, or just local trails...and close enough to tap on screen with ease. Best setup ive ever had on a sled, and this is the 3rd sled now with this exact setup. Love it!

I always wire into the +12v accessory "switched" plugin. This allows for several things, the GPS fires up with key, same as my truck. No need to turn it on, No need to turn it Off, and you can use it trailside with key "ON" to checkout where you're headed.

I only had to trim down the backside of the ''crash pad" cover abit to get a custom looking fitment.

Dan

I like to use the Battery tender pigtails, and on these sleds the pigtail plugs directly into the ACC. Pigtail.
IMG_9927.JPG
IMG_9929.JPG

IMG_9930.JPG

IMG_9931.JPG

IMG_9932.JPG

IMG_9933.JPG

IMG_9810.JPG

IMG_9811.JPG

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3432.JPG

IMG_3433.JPG

IMG_3434.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG

IMG_9805.JPG

IMG_9806.JPG

IMG_9807.JPG

Notice the VENT, I got rid of the goggle bag day 1. Holds too much heat IMO.
IMG_9808.JPG

IMG_9809.JPG

Last edited:
Ski's - BRP Pilot 6.9

Most of you have seen the write-up I did on this install last winter on my bud Tom's sled. So I wont go into all the detail again, and will link that thread to this post.

My Detailed pilot 6.9 install thread: https://ty4stroke.com/threads/pilot-6-9-skis-installed.146599/

I pulled them off my 1200 Doo and I'm running them this season with Woody's 8'' Executive carbides(center) #WSD 9500 , which I got from CB Performance. Stock 4" square bars outers.

Just a couple pics......

IMG_3418.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

Last edited:
Mods overview VIDEO

And for those that are as sick of reading and pics, as I am of typing right now...Here is my longwinded video "overview" of the mods I've done so far in the first day or two of having her home, along with some previews of mods to come.

Sit back and enjoy...lol (that is a joke)

Dan

Last edited:
Thank you for all of this!

Are you planning on a tether switch ?

If so, instructions/photos will be appreciated! Thanks!

Dan, I just have to say I’m feeling extremely lucky and honored to have bought the same sled as you!!
Your sure to cost me some money here but it looks like every penny will be well spent. My boss and the wife won’t
Particularly feel the same way as he see’s my face glued to the I pad and the wife see’s the UPS truck rolling up again.
Keep them pics and posts a rolling.

Ice Scratchers - Ski Mounted - ''Trail Blizzer'' by QualiPieces

Came across this design in another thread here on TY a few weeks ago. PowderFalcon posted some pics of his setup, and the "anti-swivel" design caught my eye instantly. I knew I only wanted the ski mounted type, but I was veering away from the cable style as I had seen them spin often. So with this anti-spin design, I really felt these were nice, and look good too. I don't need them often, so I wanted something that looked good removed and easily attached for those certain days when I may need the extra cooling.

The Trail Blizzer really is a top quality kit, and they look great with the cable being covered and not exposed.

I will leave the plates on the ski's, and then just keep scratchers in my tunnel bag along with a 14mm socket and can slap them on in no time on the trail. Also I will add a large flat washer to the backside of the 14mm bolt, to help support it against the plastic ski leg.

I decided to drill the holes and mount them behind the spindles, as I know the pilot skis need all the strength they can get in those front legs. 1/4" hole for the smaller bolt, and 3/8'' hole for main bolt.

They can be hooked up onto back of ski's, but I only plan to run these when needed, and remove them for all normal riding. Not a fan of the hook/holders ect...not the greatest looking.

IMG_9821.JPG
IMG_9822.JPG
IMG_9823.JPG
IMG_9824.JPG
IMG_9825.JPG
IMG_9842.JPG
IMG_9843.JPG
IMG_9844.JPG
IMG_9845.JPG
IMG_9847.JPG
IMG_9848.JPG
IMG_9849.JPG
IMG_9850.JPG
IMG_9853.JPG
IMG_9861.JPG
IMG_9862.JPG
IMG_9863.JPG
IMG_9858.JPG

Last edited:
Dan this is great, due to neccessity I have decided on the following effective immediately:
1) Throw away brand new never installed Powermadds and buy Cat Procross lighted hand guards + mirrors - way cooler
2) Throw away Yamaha tuner skis and buy Pilot 5.7 or 6.7 - way better
3) Buy Windshield bag - extra storage always better
4) Buy Aluminium lift - cooler than my old steel lift
5) Buy suite of clutch kit+flashes + muffler + flasher - Around December - critical
6) Swap out Woody signature studs and install Golddiggers - better (signatures not for me)
7) **LinQ - up for debate over deluxe tunnel bag

Last edited:
You're worse than I am with buying new parts for a sled you haven't ridden yet.

Just curious about that ultimatax belt? Myself and my buddies have never had good luck running aftermarket belts on all our past and current yamahas. Seems like the 8jp is working fine even with those long radar runs the TD guys do.

LOL, yeah been doing this pretty much the same way for close to 40 yrs! At 53 the parts now are just more expensive! haha

If you read this site, you dont have to go far to see many 8jps blown. Being that belt was made for a 135hp sled, it does make me wonder if the belt could be just not enough for this big power? Then others will chime and say they ran it on there viper turbo with no issue. So I think the jury is still out on belt life and clutching, and what may be causing issues.

I had heard and read a few guys who did some testing and liked the ultimax for longevity. So I will give one some test time. I had always liked the gates belts for performance, but I dont think they have any more longevity then a 8jp does.

This season will be interesting, to see how belt life is, and what guys come up with.

Dan

Back