• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

should i buy or not

blevis213

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 apex se
2001 srx 700
2000 srx 700
2021 sidewinder srx
Guys leaning on pulling the trigger on the 2021 srx. Only have a week to make a decision so lets hear why or why not to buy it. Plan on studding it and using it on the lake only. Leaving it stock for the first year then after that all game. The one thing i know i don't like is the light blue decals which will come off or tell my dealer to see if yamaha can just leave them off. Just need a little kick in the a** to help make a decision. thanks

Go for it!!!
If you are looking at only doing lake runs the srx is untouchable even stock!! You will leave all other makes in your snow dust!!
Once you tune it the acceleration will blow your mind!!!
You can always get a costum wrap if your not crazy about the color

I was on again off again too. Way less $ for Venom but same concerns. Still working? If so odds are a year from now you will still be. If not where you are somewhere else. $ now is worth more than it will be a year from now. Reward yourself for going through this Virus. Put the $ down. If something really bad happens $500 is not goin to matter either way. I did it. Glad I did!

I say buy it if all is well with your job and financial situation.

This might help you to pull the trigger....

upload_2020-4-12_9-50-3.png

upload_2020-4-12_9-53-43.png
upload_2020-4-12_9-51-14.png
upload_2020-4-12_9-52-26.png

I was on again off again too. Way less $ for Venom but same concerns. Still working? If so odds are a year from now you will still be. If not where you are somewhere else. $ now is worth more than it will be a year from now. Reward yourself for going through this Virus. Put the $ down. If something really bad happens $500 is not goin to matter either way. I did it. Glad I did!
What did you put money down on?

I debated the SRX as well. Really LOVE the blue. I've had 3 R1s and an R6 in blue. Can't get enough of it!
In the end I decided I could live without the electric shocks and heated seat and went with the 2021 L-TX SE.

I went ahead and spring ordered a srx. If work closes and things dont go well I'm out my 500 and saved x amount of dollars for the sled. If I keep working through all this I get a new sled. It's a win win for me.

Guys leaning on pulling the trigger on the 2021 srx. Only have a week to make a decision so lets hear why or why not to buy it. Plan on studding it and using it on the lake only. Leaving it stock for the first year then after that all game. The one thing i know i don't like is the light blue decals which will come off or tell my dealer to see if yamaha can just leave them off. Just need a little kick in the a** to help make a decision. thanks

If I were to buy again, the SRX would be it for me.
And where you say lake only, it’s made for you if you like or need that speed thing. Go team Blue!

Keep them coming guys wallet is starting to creek lol. Is there any major issues with these sleds? Did yamaha fix the clutch rollers issues? Also read a lot about drive and jack shaft bearings not holding up along with upper gear bushings or something along that line, thanks guys

I had a 2008 40th apex , great sled great motor . Up until I tried the 2018 50th sidewinder there was no stand out reason to buy a new sled ( it faster than any other sleds ) .
When you ride the cat chassis with the turbo you can’t go back .
Added bonus is in 2020 they have updated the front suspension for better handling. Which I have been told by multiple people it’s a big difference .
2021 pics you can see they have updated the chain case cover , what else have they updated ? I like the 2018 enough that I have ordered a Srx this year to .

Keep them coming guys wallet is starting to creek lol. Is there any major issues with these sleds? Did yamaha fix the clutch rollers issues? Also read a lot about drive and jack shaft bearings not holding up along with upper gear bushings or something along that line, thanks guys
Upper gear bushing is a problem that goes away by changing gear at oil change ( 40 $) . The rest is comparable problems other sled manufacturers have .

So , lets get one thing straight , there is no chance in Hell , that Yamaha will leave off decals , at least not if asked ! You have a better chance of them being left off by accident ! Your dealer on the other hand should be able to do whatever you want , within reason .
It appears you are coming off a 14 Apex.
If the above assumptions are correct here is my 4 cents worth .
I too came from an Apex (2015 , can't now remember the model , but it WAS the greatest sled I ever had )
I bought a 17 SW LTX -LE , the minute I heard it had a factory turbo , all other details were , at the time , inconsequential /irrelevant , whatever !
I have never shied away from 1st year releases from Yamaha , as they have a better than most reputation , and my previous experiences have been favorable .
I kept my Apex for 2 1/2 years , in case I did not like the total SW package , but after not riding it once in that time sold it to a friend.
When you sell a sled to a friend , that tells a lot about how you value that sled.
In hindsight the initial mistake I made was waiting 2 seasons and a bit before adding a mild tune (Hurricane 240 stock muffler) .
The reason I decided to go to a tune was , finally after 2 years of riding my SW , is because some Skidoo kids , gave me the lets go , on the lake , and I gave them a spanking.
It felt good , and I thought an even bigger spanking would feel even better .
Even in the mild state of tune it enhanced the fun factor a worthwhile amount, particularly on the tight trails of Muskoka .
I choose this tune , as I wanted the least complicated tune with the most bang for the buck tune.

The second mistake I made was not upgrading to the 270 SS tune , at the beginning of this year , when it became available , or at least the 240 SS upgrade.
The only reason ,that I convinced myself existed , was I was going to upgrade to a new SW , or so I thought .
That never happened , as it turned out to be such a short season , I never got around to even the 240 SS upgrade , as I didn't want to miss even one day of riding , as it might of been my last ride of the year.
Still 2 more cents to go !
I am very fortunate to have a sled that appears to have come out of the box and dealer prepped, pretty well as intended ( as many have) , as opposed to others who have not had the great experience that I have .
I have had some issues , most sleds do , but anything I have encountered , has not cost me a day of riding , most issues covered under warranty, and has been well worth it.
Even when it kinda felt that the sled was a little sluggish , that I thought was caused by warmer temps, it turned out to be a primary spring that was snapped in 3 pieces , but was still performing better than any sled I ever had !
When the spring was replaced , I was once again reminded of how , WOW this sled is .
I blew one belt , after driving a half hour straight in a foot and a half of powder on the lake at 7000 + rpms . Not really smart .
I replaced a track after 11,000 klms. due to not tightening the studs in 2 years , resulting in a pullout/tear that could not be ignored. Again not smart .
After 4 years I am starting to accumulate a reserve of slightly worn stock belts , as I did for years on my Apex's.
So my recommendation is , ride it stock for a weekend , and you won't want to get off it.
By the end of the 1st weekend or maybe 2nd , you should be ready for your initial oil change , and you will know if you want more .
If you decide you want more get as much more as you want , can handle, or can afford , and hang on tight and enjoy .
This sled is amazing , as intended !
JUST DO IT !
(I'm exhausted , my typing finger is sore ,and I'm going for an Easter nap )
HAPPY EASTER .

P.S. You will not just be riding this sled on the lake.
Hell ,you will wan't to drive it to work , no matter where you live !!!!!

So , lets get one thing straight , there is no chance in Hell , that Yamaha will leave off decals , at least not if asked ! You have a better chance of them being left off by accident ! Your dealer on the other hand should be able to do whatever you want , within reason .
It appears you are coming off a 14 Apex.
If the above assumptions are correct here is my 4 cents worth .
I too came from an Apex (2015 , can't now remember the model , but it WAS the greatest sled I ever had )
I bought a 17 SW LTX -LE , the minute I heard it had a factory turbo , all other details were , at the time , inconsequential /irrelevant , whatever !
I have never shied away from 1st year releases from Yamaha , as they have a better than most reputation , and my previous experiences have been favorable .
I kept my Apex for 2 1/2 years , in case I did not like the total SW package , but after not riding it once in that time sold it to a friend.
When you sell a sled to a friend , that tells a lot about how you value that sled.
In hindsight the initial mistake I made was waiting 2 seasons and a bit before adding a mild tune (Hurricane 240 stock muffler) .
The reason I decided to go to a tune was , finally after 2 years of riding my SW , is because some Skidoo kids , gave me the lets go , on the lake , and I gave them a spanking.
It felt good , and I thought an even bigger spanking would feel even better .
Even in the mild state of tune it enhanced the fun factor a worthwhile amount, particularly on the tight trails of Muskoka .
I choose this tune , as I wanted the least complicated tune with the most bang for the buck tune.

The second mistake I made was not upgrading to the 270 SS tune , at the beginning of this year , when it became available , or at least the 240 SS upgrade.
The only reason ,that I convinced myself existed , was I was going to upgrade to a new SW , or so I thought .
That never happened , as it turned out to be such a short season , I never got around to even the 240 SS upgrade , as I didn't want to miss even one day of riding , as it might of been my last ride of the year.
Still 2 more cents to go !
I am very fortunate to have a sled that appears to have come out of the box and dealer prepped, pretty well as intended ( as many have) , as opposed to others who have not had the great experience that I have .
I have had some issues , most sleds do , but anything I have encountered , has not cost me a day of riding , most issues covered under warranty, and has been well worth it.
Even when it kinda felt that the sled was a little sluggish , that I thought was caused by warmer temps, it turned out to be a primary spring that was snapped in 3 pieces , but was still performing better than any sled I ever had !
When the spring was replaced , I was once again reminded of how , WOW this sled is .
I blew one belt , after driving a half hour straight in a foot and a half of powder on the lake at 7000 + rpms . Not really smart .
I replaced a track after 11,000 klms. due to not tightening the studs in 2 years , resulting in a pullout/tear that could not be ignored. Again not smart .
After 4 years I am starting to accumulate a reserve of slightly worn stock belts , as I did for years on my Apex's.
So my recommendation is , ride it stock for a weekend , and you won't want to get off it.
By the end of the 1st weekend or maybe 2nd , you should be ready for your initial oil change , and you will know if you want more .
If you decide you want more get as much more as you want , can handle, or can afford , and hang on tight and enjoy .
This sled is amazing , as intended !
JUST DO IT !
(I'm exhausted , my typing finger is sore ,and I'm going for an Easter nap )
HAPPY EASTER .

P.S. You will not just be riding this sled on the lake.
Hell ,you will wan't to drive it to work , no matter where you live !!!!!
Dangit now I want one too!

Back