• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SRX vs 2022 Mach Z

If a winder guy went on 850 skidoo forum and said they are okay except for the brutal oil mileage that requires many sidetrips on a saddlebag tour, more than half of the engines explode before warranty is up (they definitely do in my part of Ontario anyways), the intake roar above 50 or 60 mph is irritating, they are quite smelly to ride behind and they feel like stinky mini bikes compared to a setup Winder but I do like them quite a lot anyways how do you guys think that would be received by the Doo faithful? I think you guys are forgetting this is the Yamaha forum. We have done the three classic fixes to our winders and RR crosshaft upgrades. I watched my son put 8,000 kms on this winter on his nearly 300 hp Winder with a paddle track with one blown belt and a used 400$ apex clutch that fixed the roller problem. He rides it balls out no matter the conditions so I dont think blowing two shocks apart needs to be included. He found one minor irritant this winter with it though. If he catwalks it on the rear idlers for half a km in 4 feet of snow on a pipeline the knock light will flash on premium and he has to drop the front end, no biggie though. 70 mph catwalks arent safe anyways lol. If a doo of any stripe can take what he has done to my old winder for 24,000 kms and still work perfectly I will be truly inpressed. I am looking forward to next winter when my buds Machs hit the snow. One of their favourite sayings a few years ago was how much does it cost to lose when a couple of us had stock vipers with their lacklustre performance. I bought my 50th LE under warranty for 13 cdn with 1,800 kms so Im in about 15 the way its set up now. I dont think their 26,000$ Machs are going to gps close to 130 mph like my Winder will day in day out lol. Pretty sure I will get to ask how much it costs to lose. And just like AJ Lester said its the chest beating gotta have the fastest guys that are buying them. Last point the media never mention that our yamacats flat out have the least bump steer feedback in the industry still, everytime I ride a doo through a bumpy crnr with my 50 yr old contractor elbows I remember though.
Nice post... ST thinks anyone that buys a big gun sled like a Mach, just wants to be the fastest across the lake. TOTAL FALSE INFO. For me, it was never about that... I don't really care about going anything faster than 110-120. The reason I bought my sled was because I was sick of all the mags and OEM's that sell the big 850's that claim they pull so hard past a 100mph in any condition, which is NOT true. The 998 pulls extremely hard between 30mph and 110mph with authority, which is perfect for groomed trail riding and that is what I do. There isn't an 850 today that pulls this hard and that is with the 998 being in stock form. As I said earlier in this thread, the Procross just flat out handles better than any G4 sled. I have ridden them, they push real bad and it is NOT a confident inspiring machine to drive.

On another note... Doo used to be a great sled for trail riding, but they went away with that when created the G4 and changed the R Motion to exhibit more weight transfer. My belief is that they listened to much of the complaining from ST guys and maybe other mags about their direction they would like to see sleds go, which IMO, is to have a sled lift the skis all the way down the straight away and then come down for the corner, but still rail, which IMO, is NOT possible. Inside ski lift goes through the roof. Its kind of what created the Cross Over versions that you see now. But, I don't care what anybody says, that does NOT make a good trail sled. You can ride them on Groomed trails, but its not great at it. Thats transfer of the rmotion went across all lines including their MXZ line, which results in a sled that is just NOT good at handling. Other than CAT, the other 2 OEM's don't listen to their customers, they listen to the mags and to me you are not getting accurate info as to what people want.

Nice post... ST thinks anyone that buys a big gun sled like a Mach, just wants to be the fastest across the lake. TOTAL FALSE INFO. For me, it was never about that... I don't really care about going anything faster than 110-120. The reason I bought my sled was because I was sick of all the mags and OEM's that sell the big 850's that claim they pull so hard past a 100mph in any condition, which is NOT true. The 998 pulls extremely hard between 30mph and 110mph with authority, which is perfect for groomed trail riding and that is what I do. There isn't an 850 today that pulls this hard and that is with the 998 being in stock form. As I said earlier in this thread, the Procross just flat out handles better than any G4 sled. I have ridden them, they push real bad and it is NOT a confident inspiring machine to drive.

On another note... Doo used to be a great sled for trail riding, but they went away with that when created the G4 and changed the R Motion to exhibit more weight transfer. My belief is that they listened to much of the complaining from ST guys and maybe other mags about their direction they would like to see sleds go, which IMO, is to have a sled lift the skis all the way down the straight away and then come down for the corner, but still rail, which IMO, is NOT possible. Inside ski lift goes through the roof. Its kind of what created the Cross Over versions that you see now. But, I don't care what anybody says, that does NOT make a good trail sled. You can ride them on Groomed trails, but its not great at it. Thats transfer of the rmotion went across all lines including their MXZ line, which results in a sled that is just NOT good at handling. Other than CAT, the other 2 OEM's don't listen to their customers, they listen to the mags and to me you are not getting accurate info as to what people want.
After being on a trip with all 2021 850 s and riding them back to back , I would say skidoo s latest 2021 XRS - x suspension is the closest handling to the sidewinder ( anything prior from skidoo was terrible handling) Polaris is wheelie machine still . It would still be a easy choice of sled for me to pick after riding the sidewinder.

The Apex was slow to win the Pro Action, trailing arm SRX/ SXR crowd. Most of us that bought Apexs kept our 2 stroke SRXs but found after a couple years we never rode anything but our Apexs and ended up selling our old pro Action sleds that were collecting dust.
History is repeating itself as the Sidewinder is going the same route the Apex did because many years after the SW release they are starting to sell at greater numbers. I know of 8 riders now that have ordered new Winders that had no interest in them 4 years ago.
We Yamaha faithful are slow to accept change and I must say my Side Winder is by far the best sled I have ever owned and my Apex is for the most part collecting dust just like my 2002 SRX did.
JM.02c

Probably some truth in that. I’m of the uncommon crowd. I sold my Attak and bought a clean used Sidewinder STX DX. Had it for a year, my long time ride buddy went and sold his Winder and his two Apex machines. Completely sold out and went the side by side route and doesn’t look to be coming back. Pretty much looked like my sled trips were drying up. The guy that now owned my Attak happened to be selling for health issues so I bought it back. I ended up selling the SW shortly afterwards.
I didn’t want that much $$ tied up in a sled with no one to ride with.

Last year I did a trip with Don VX1R but this year I did not even ride my sled. Bad snow winter, Covid shutting down establishments and I recently changed jobs and got a new puppy. Maybe some day I’ll be back.

One note, these SW’s need the premium shocks. Mine didn’t ride that great in the whooped trails with the standard gas bags.

Agree. That's why I made some changes and actually rode the Apex equally this year. Simple seat and bar riser change opened up new possibilities. At least two inches higher all around. If that didn't change things she was gone. But, it did in a big way! It was very comfortable and in a weird was felt like it handled better. So now I am doubling down and going to add some premium shocks all around to make it my long mileage cruiser.

My Attak GT has 2” of extra foam in the Seat but now I have a new Seat Concepts replacement for it being my seat cover is worn and slippery. I also have the 2” bar riser. Makes a big difference for me. Biggest issue has been skis, tried Curves didn’t like, those ended up on the SW which I hated. Then I put SLP Mohawks on Winder and they were awesome on that sled. Put them on Attak when I bought it back and they pushed a bit. I now have a new set of C & A Crossovers for it and will be selling Mohawks.

My biggest question is does anyone think the new Mach Z deserves to be called a Mach Z? Honestly, I feel it should have been badged as a Mach 1. I guess time will tell, but based on things I’ve heard from guys with seat time on the new Z, no one is blown away. To date the only companies that have built sled worthy of names like Thundercat, SRX, XCR and Mach Z are Yamaha and Cat. Will the Z be worthy, I have my doubts.

My biggest question is does anyone think the new Mach Z deserves to be called a Mach Z? Honestly, I feel it should have been badged as a Mach 1. I guess time will tell, but based on things I’ve heard from guys with seat time on the new Z, no one is blown away. To date the only companies that have built sled worthy of names like Thundercat, SRX, XCR and Mach Z are Yamaha and Cat. Will the Z be worthy, I have my doubts.
Well.. the company that builts the Srx is Articcat in an old Articcat chassi with a Yamaha motor in it. Do you think that the Mountain max name deserves the name on the 100% Articcat sled?

Probably some truth in that. I’m of the uncommon crowd. I sold my Attak and bought a clean used Sidewinder STX DX. Had it for a year, my long time ride buddy went and sold his Winder and his two Apex machines. Completely sold out and went the side by side route and doesn’t look to be coming back. Pretty much looked like my sled trips were drying up. The guy that now owned my Attak happened to be selling for health issues so I bought it back. I ended up selling the SW shortly afterwards.
I didn’t want that much $$ tied up in a sled with no one to ride with.

Last year I did a trip with Don VX1R but this year I did not even ride my sled. Bad snow winter, Covid shutting down establishments and I recently changed jobs and got a new puppy. Maybe some day I’ll be back.

One note, these SW’s need the premium shocks. Mine didn’t ride that great in the whooped trails with the standard gas bags.

I went through that same thing with my friends/riding buds when their kids were growing up. But I really enjoyed snowmobiling, and I wasn’t about to give up a hobby I really enjoyed. So I went by myself anyway. To be honest, it was just fine...and I drive 9-10 hrs one way to ride where I do. Did not mind one bit riding alone. Always met guys when I stopped somewhere to eat and relax. Made some new friends up where I rode too, and had the option to ride with them from time to time too. But I gotta admit...I enjoyed riding alone when I did. It wasn’t the problem/issue I imagined it might be. Did it like that for about 13 yrs.

Friends are back into it now again since 2018, and it’s a great time. But I wasn’t about to give up sledding cuz they couldn’t go anymore while their kids were growing up, but that’s just me.

I think the name Mach Z was appropriately chosen. I beat that sled 25 years ago, and I'll beat it again next year winter. Different design …….. but same outcome, why change the name??

Call it whatever you wish.. I just could not look at that sled every time I wanted to walk up to it and ride it.. That thing is UGLY... I wonder if I could close my eyes and get on it and then ride it? Throw a cover over it every time after riding it and during storage?

I believe DOO finance threw engineering a bone this year and said build a MachZ using existing resources, because if they had the time everyone thinks they did to build one, they would have one that is going to blow the sidewinder out of the water. With the 2 or 3 they have circulating and none for customers to try, it leads me to believe that they don't have the exact configuration to beat the 998 and I believe it was a last minute decision and they are going to try and muster something together over the summer months to make it worthy of the name. Maybe Mach1 would have been a better decision. I was a long time DOO guy and I know if I was buying it, I would be pissed if it could not run with the 998. Maybe a Mach1 or just a 180hp 900R Renegade until they see what the demand is like and if that is the direction they want to go, then build a Block Buster sled. I still cant see them even keeping that 180 long as I still believe BRP cant stand the fact that the 850 etec would get out sold as that is where they make the most money which is on the 2 strokes.

DOO may or may not have enough for the 998 but all local dealers love the Mach Z , they sold their allotments extremely quick .

They blow up... My dealer has a couple a season. Also My buddy has an 850 XRS, with about 500km on it, had to replace the oil tank and oil pump so far.. Then he bought a used 2020 Polaris 850 to add to his collection and it had 4000 miles on it, and it blew up. Took out the crank seal up in cochrane, ontario. However, it has a 4 year warranty and was fixed and he bought it with a rebuilt motor. If you want to see reliability, then the 600's are reliable, but once you get into the big displacement, its alway been trying to contain the heat that they produce. But a 2 stroke is a 2 stroke... Not very reliable regardless of how the OEM markets it.

Funny thing is I remember Olav Aaen saying 2 stroke twins over 600cc will not be reliable.

Back