• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stock Sidewinder Blown Belts

Its NOT the belts. IMO.. Yes some might last longer then others.
Its the spring bind and HELIX ANGLE.. 1500 miles on 38 helix.. 1000 with 8JP, 500 with 8DN(no blown belts).. Blew 2 carbon belts in first 350 miles with stock secondary(not machined) and helix
Stocker helix is to shallow. The last 380 miles I put on my set up was amazing.. It took 1500 miles to get mine dialed but I pounded the belt(8dn) for 380 miles on FAST wide open trails.. A lot of on(WFO) off throttle just to see If it would pop.. NO LUCK.. Many runs over 100(at least 12).. I pulled 106 speedo At 3/4 throttle. 120-123 WFO.. ran flawless.. 60 MPH pounded it and pulled skis on 137 skid
Straight 38 helix, thunder weights, YLW/GRN/YLW primary spring with glide washers.. secondary pocket machined, stock spring wrapped @ 3/3. 8dn..
HH thunder weights have 3/4 slug in heel, aluminum 3/8 (0.9) grams in middle, 7/16 steel and two thin washers in tip.. 9000-9100 on the punch - settles at 8500-8600-climbs to 8800.. This is on hard pack trail with 192 studs, TD eco trail flash, stock gears, speedo... Ice/lake would be a smidge more IMO.

Awesome jonlafon1!

Just saying...... Throwing the 250 kit and her and blowing belts or having problems = no fun!

Doing it right can bring many miles of smiles! Nice work!

just a theory...I noticed in my first 300 miles....my primary, the movable was sticking... without a spring etc....just dry cycling it..and there were casting flash on my secondary which when dry cycling seems to "hang" up...I dremeled all the surfaces smooth...

for those who are belt blowers and all are to spec...Id be curious do see if they dry clycled the secondary and primary and look for "stiction" or binding?
X2. That's what i think blew my belt. Was only going 60. Clutches were cool. Took apart & can feel some "stiction". Over summer i will make changes when ALL the analysis' are done. It may be just some machining or better bushings or maybe whole new secondary...

The stock helix is to shallow I use Gforce ajustable helix with 41/37 angle and for those that don t want to buy different weight, removed 3 g under the tip of the stock weights, your rpm will go up to about 8700 then slowly clim to 8800 to 8900 rpm and not over rev to 9000/9100 rpm than go back to 8800 rpm, that way your sled will stay at it s max hp and not loosing some time to over rev and go down to proper max rpm/hp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 417
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 418
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 436
Our venting is similar. I did mine with zero miles on sled.

Attachments

• IMG_0344.JPG
    IMG_0344.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0346.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 380
40G4313 Or 40C4313 gates is what I run in my 270 hp viper I change them out @ 2000 miles and they don't look terrible. I have a STM roller secondary with a 46-40 helix tho. The stock 35 helix in the winder seems like it might be 2 much. If I were you guys I would check my alignment and center 2 center, make sure there R no broken mounts or looseness in the motor, then give one of these belts a try. I was smoking 8jp's at around 800~1000 miles before I tried these belts. Clutches should be cool enough to grab with your hand and hold for as long as you want, any hotter and you have clutch issues. Hope this helps.

495 miles Bone stock..... belt dust and warm/hot secondary. flat spots on rollers, Original belt. Best run 117 speedo good conditions. no gps
Last 500 miles....Machined secondary, Thunder rollers,still original belt. 5 different people jumped on for consecutive 1 1/2+ mile out and back WFO back to back runs in 2" slush @ 104 GPS that i thought for sure would put that belt out of it's misery, but it survived.

40G4313 Or 40C4313 gates is what I run in my 270 hp viper I change them out @ 2000 miles and they don't look terrible. I have a STM roller secondary with a 46-40 helix tho. The stock 35 helix in the winder seems like it might be 2 much. If I were you guys I would check my alignment and center 2 center, make sure there R no broken mounts or looseness in the motor, then give one of these belts a try. I was smoking 8jp's at around 800~1000 miles before I tried these belts. Clutches should be cool enough to grab with your hand and hold for as long as you want, any hotter and you have clutch issues. Hope this helps.
I really like those carbon belts ALSO.I believe them to be VERY FAST and sticky.
But I smoked two of them in 350 miles. Thinking that STM is better then the winder secondary.. Maybe I will try another some time

1800 Miles on my stock belt. A lot of wide open pulls, many miles just cruising at 70 mph. Only thing done to my clutches is I have the helix shimmed .080" and its wrapped at 3-3 still. Also have Hauck secondary rollers, clutch offset is just 60.85mm. Running Osp belt adjuster and belt is sitting flush with top of secondary sheave.

The stock helix is to shallow I use Gforce ajustable helix with 41/37 angle and for those that don t want to buy different weight, removed 3 g under the tip of the stock weights, your rpm will go up to about 8700 then slowly clim to 8800 to 8900 rpm and not over rev to 9000/9100 rpm than go back to 8800 rpm, that way your sled will stay at it s max hp and not loosing some time to over rev and go down to proper max rpm/hp.
What vents are those clutch side?

I just had my stock LTX-LE serviced by my dealer, all of the rollers were flat-spotted. I blew a belt at 1,029 miles. 1,465 on it now. Dealer advised replacement rollers are new, different then originals. They replaced the heat shield also. Now if only it would snow again.

3,600 miles, changed belt at 700 due to flatspotting it getting stuck. 2,900 miles on current belt , still looks good but ready to change it before I blow it.

Are the dealers replacing the belts? Mine had less than 500 miles on it and I think if you get a new sled and your belts lasts less than 500 miles they should replace it. What if something is damaged by the belt do they cover that.

We headed to North Bay the Wednesday before family day weekend I had the use of a Sidewinder LTX DX for the weekend. The sled had 1080mile on the clock when I picked it up original belt I put another 580 miles on over our three days of riding various conditions from -25C to plus 8C rode that machine like it was stolen the entire time no issues. The machine was bone stock hit 118 mph speedo on Nipissing. 6 Sidewinders on the tour 1 blown belt 800 miles on his machine stock belt. I was totally impressed with this machine my only gripe was the shock package when the trails got rough but not bad for a base sled.

A real good riding buddy of mine and I where out for a +12 c slush ride. Actually super fun

He complained the belt felt bumpy. This is the stock belt with 4500 miles!!!

I changed it with a new one but the stock belt looked mint.
So what I'm saying is there is some sleds with no issues. His is stock everything with cat rollers

Back