• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stock Sidewinder Blown Belts

Let's see your on brake and gas same time and you blow belts and it Yamaha fault? 2nd this is the most HP in Yamaha sled by far almost 50 more than the next sled they have! A Mach Z on its best day 160 hp vs 200 hp or more Yamaha.

1300 miles blew 3 belts. Stock sled.
First belt snapped at 300 miles. Sled went to dealer and had offset checked and flat rollers replaced.
Second belt exploded at 735 miles.
Third belt snapped around 1300 miles at 105 mph.
Shimmed helix and set at 6 and 1 after first belt blew.
All belts were broke in properly and clutches cleaned every 2-300 miles.
Primary runs hotter than secondary.

Let's see your on brake and gas same time and you blow belts and it Yamaha fault? 2nd this is the most HP in Yamaha sled by far almost 50 more than the next sled they have! A Mach Z on its best day 160 hp vs 200 hp or more Yamaha.
You're missing our point. This happens ALOT & it's not because of user issues. We're not "blowing" belts, we're GRENADING them! It snaps in half & destroys pans, clutches & fairings. The 200 HP is NOT the problem. You're right, my 150 HP Apex does not have the HP & torque this 'Winder has, but i haven't driven this thing as HARD as i drove my Apex either. If i ever use this 200 HP, i'm not confident it will make it out of the driveway. There are guys that drag race with over 600 HP & don't SNAP belts, so i say there is an issue. I also believe WE here on TY will find the solution. Heck, NOS goes through belts like a crack addict putting on weight to be a Sumo wrestler. There are a few lucky guys out there that i believe will be on this forum very soon.....looking for answers & belly pans

buyrite01 - First...are you implying I hold the brake while squeezing the throttle ???

if this is not a belt or unit issue and rider only how come my 200hp turbo nytro blew 1 belt in 6000 kms and 270 hp turbo nytro blew 1 at 3000 kms looks like machine or belt issue to me..saw one winder last weekend blow belt right through side panel and belly pan

just a theory...I noticed in my first 300 miles....my primary, the movable was sticking... without a spring etc....just dry cycling it..and there were casting flash on my secondary which when dry cycling seems to "hang" up...I dremeled all the surfaces smooth...

for those who are belt blowers and all are to spec...Id be curious do see if they dry clycled the secondary and primary and look for "stiction" or binding?

Its NOT the belts. IMO.. Yes some might last longer then others.
Its the spring bind and HELIX ANGLE.. 1500 miles on 38 helix.. 1000 with 8JP, 500 with 8DN(no blown belts).. Blew 2 carbon belts in first 350 miles with stock secondary(not machined) and helix
Stocker helix is to shallow. The last 380 miles I put on my set up was amazing.. It took 1500 miles to get mine dialed but I pounded the belt(8dn) for 380 miles on FAST wide open trails.. A lot of on(WFO) off throttle just to see If it would pop.. NO LUCK.. Many runs over 100(at least 12).. I pulled 106 speedo At 3/4 throttle. 120-123 WFO.. ran flawless.. 60 MPH pounded it and pulled skis on 137 skid
Straight 38 helix, thunder weights, YLW/GRN/YLW primary spring with glide washers.. secondary pocket machined, stock spring wrapped @ 3/3. 8dn..
HH thunder weights have 3/4 slug in heel, aluminum 3/8 (0.9) grams in middle, 7/16 steel and two thin washers in tip.. 9000-9100 on the punch - settles at 8500-8600-climbs to 8800.. This is on hard pack trail with 192 studs, TD eco trail flash, stock gears, speedo... Ice/lake would be a smidge more IMO.

Last edited:
Its the spring bind and HELIX ANGLE..
Stocker helix is to shallow. The last 380 miles I put on my set up was amazing.. It took 1500 miles to get mine dialed but I pounded the belt(8dn) for 380 miles on FAST wide open trails.. A lot of on(WFO) off throttle just to see If it would pop.. NO LUCK.. Many runs over 100(at least 12).. I pulled 106 speedo At 3/4 throttle. 120-123 WFO.. ran flawless.. 60 MPH pounded it and pulled skis on 137 skid
Straight 38 helix, thunder weights, YLW/GRN/YLW primary spring with glide washers.. secondary pocket machined, stock spring wrapped @ 3/3. 8dn..
HH thunder weights have 3/4 slug in heel, aluminum 3/8 (0.9) grams in middle, 7/16 steel and two thin washers in tip.. 9000-9100 on the punch - settles at 8500-8600-climbs to 8800.. This is on hard pack trail with 192 studs, TD eco trail flash, speedo... Ice/lake would be a smidge more IMO.
Thank you for sharing your set up. But one question what do you have for a muffler on your machine?

Thank you for sharing your set up. But one question what do you have for a muffler on your machine?
Welcome..TD turbo force. I know I don't run stock and I may have hijacked this post a bit- my apologies .. I jus t cant say enough about how I love my sled right now.. had a lot of bumps along the way but man this thing IS SICK

Its the spring bind and HELIX ANGLE.. 1500 miles on 38 helix.. 1000 with 8JP, 500 with 8DN(no blown belts).. Blew 2 carbon belts in first 350 miles with stock secondary(not machined) and helix
HH thunder weights have 3/4 slug in heel, aluminum 3/8 (0.9) grams in middle, 7/16 steel and two thin washers in tip.. 9000-9100 on the punch - settles at 8500-8600-climbs to 8800.. This is on hard pack trail with 192 studs, TD eco trail flash, stock gears, speedo... Ice/lake would be a smidge more IMO.

I for one am thrilled for you ! ; )

With just under 2500 miles I have only blown 1 belt on my stock Winder. That was at 1100 miles after running several back to back 1/2 mile drags.

But!!!!!!! No Joke and I know what your all going to think. I have a customer with 1500 miles on his Stock Winder and has blown 13 belts. 6 8jp's and 7 8dn's. Some at around 50 miles.
Yes Very hard to believe but true. This customer openly admits he rides the sled like he stole it 100% of the time. Hard braking sliding into corners hammering the throttle while braking and never waits till belts are broken in. He was just in the store today picking up 12 more spares and a belly pan. At least is honest and knows what breaks the belts. Yes clutches are all is spec and aligned.

I would not use this info as the norm, But if you guys ride your Winders like this you will break belts!!!!
THIS IS NOT A BELT OR UNIT ISSUE RATHER A RIDER ISSUE.

I say Hong Kong Phoey, he's got issues with clutchs / motor mounts / alignment something has been overlooked.

So 500 miles and I blew my first belt. The conditions werent that great, loose snow and long straight trails. We ran 70-80 most of the day and I pulled 109 so far on it. On the ride back I saw a nice flat spot and squeezed the throttle. It sounded like a grenade going off. Blew the belt right off it. I realize these are the worst conditions for a belt, but I could ride my Apex way harder and not replace a belt for 2000 miles. Mine is bone stock.

Back