• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tired Of Sloppy Steering At Plastic Bushing And Steel Collar

It's been a while so thought an update was due and a good laugh to go along with it. Checked the original Steering Bushing Kit that I installed in my sled after a second season and is still as tight as the day they were installed. This is the original design I came up with for some serious durability instead of that factory tinker toy stuff.

Stopped by the dealer (wont mention the name) were I bought my sled and he asked me if I had anymore of the Steering Bushing Kits available. I said sure why the interest and the response was we are selling are rental sleds and want the steering to be tighter. Great marketing for the factory Yamaha parts eah.

Stopped in again and he took me to one of the sleds and said check out this Phazer steering. I laughed and said nice upgrade dude to bad it's not factory stuff.

UP bushman said:
It's been a while so thought an update was due and a good laugh to go along with it. Checked the original Steering Bushing Kit that I installed in my sled after a second season and is still as tight as the day they were installed. This is the original design I came up with for some serious durability instead of that factory tinker toy stuff.

Stopped by the dealer (wont mention the name) were I bought my sled and he asked me if I had anymore of the Steering Bushing Kits available. I said sure why the interest and the response was we are selling are rental sleds and want the steering to be tighter. Great marketing for the factory Yamaha parts eah.

Stopped in again and he took me to one of the sleds and said check out this Phazer steering. I laughed and said nice upgrade dude to bad it's not factory stuff.

You should charge the Yamaha dealership $100 for your kit...a bit of vindication for their high priced parts.

UP bushman said:
....Stopped by the dealer (wont mention the name) were I bought my sled and he asked me if I had anymore of the Steering Bushing Kits available. I said sure why the interest and the response was we are selling are rental sleds and want the steering to be tighter. Great marketing for the factory Yamaha parts eah.

That's a good little story - congrats on your success. I feel bad for some of the dealers though - they can only install Yamaha parts that are available to them - they are sort of caught in the middle. I just had mine fixed under warranty so the next time it will have to be a more permanent fix like yours

My dealer installed your kit. The mechanic was really happy with it.

I'm still left with some work to do. I need new ball joints on the spindles and bushings in the bottom of the spindles for the ski's. Does anyone know of any aftermarket options? I had all of these parts replaced once under warranty and they didn't last very long.

The cause is the grime and dirt that gets on the ball joints and then grinds away creating excessive play. I'm also interested in any boots that may be available to protect the ball joints.

Suggestions?

Update on the Bushing Kit Phazer riders it will be snowing before you know it. So another inspection of the Bushing Kit reveals no wear or slop in the Pivot Arm after another season of riding. I do alot of carving in the powder we get in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan which adds alot of pressure to the steering system. This has proven to be a quality fix for a very reasonable price.

I will get them installed and give them a good test and report back. We can do a seasons wort of damage in a weekend or two :)

Or worse if its the powerlines in Munising......

yam177 said:
I will get them installed and give them a good test and report back. We can do a seasons wort of damage in a weekend or two :)

Or worse if its the powerlines in Munising......

Yep the course took out a few of my rivits.

Back