• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TPI 911 Cover, Tough Guy Spring, & SW Helix with EVO Flash 4

I just had to mention this. The 911 cover idea and many more clutching innovations came from a guy named Duane Watt. I hope I spelled his name right. He had a business called Hi Tech performance. He was a machinist and a great innovator and a great person to deal with. I first used his products on my 93 Vmax4. I had a 911 cover and a roller secondary conversion that used an Arctic Cat secondary. He also developed the Paragon secondary and more. I had many phone conversations with him in those days and he was a fountain of knowledge. I often wonder if he is alive and well and what he is up to.
ya back in that timeframe we had my 95 zrt 800 with a lightnenpro roller cover,sounds like same set up and I remember the paragone secondary too,we had some fast stuff way back than,just no suspension...ha ha maybe 6" at best lol,but sleds layed down flat for fast speed runs.

Curious as to how this set up is working for you, especially the TP secondary spring? Any heat or belt issues?

Last edited:
Curious as to how this set up is working for you, especially the TT secondary spring? Any heat or belt issues?

Works great!!, Engagement is right where I like it, Short burst of top end are good.. cruises nicely. My only complaint would be the fuel economy but that's because I can stay out of the throttle.

Works great!!, Engagement is right where I like it, Short burst of top end are good.. cruises nicely. My only complaint would be the fuel economy but that's because I can stay out of the throttle.
Good to hear. Hard to stay off the flipper. Then again, if you don't like speed, probably not the model to get. Lol

Would this 911 cover make any significant improvement on a stock Sidewinder?
I have not run a sled without a 911 cover for years.. Always felt it was a MUST on cat clutches as it strengthened the towers so much more and the cheap plastic bushing on late model cats primary was laughable. The massive cover bushing is the shi& IMO.. the sheave adjuster is awesome for smooth primary engagement.(like butter). I already have a cover for the 22 sidewinder.. Some on this site will say they are a waste, I disagree.. Plus the guys over at Thunder are a great source of knowledge and always posts on here! Lon from back a few years(previous owner of thunder clutching) ago knows a few things about clutching also! Running a boosted sidewinder with stock primary clutch? Add the 911 !!!

I agree with jonlafon1, the 911 cover will add strength on the clutch towers but with that said keep a close eye on that primary. Even a stocker has its issues on these sleds. If you tune it up I would be looking at other options for a primary. Many post about throwing weights on stock clutches.

I have not run a sled without a 911 cover for years.. Always felt it was a MUST on cat clutches as it strengthened the towers so much more and the cheap plastic bushing on late model cats primary was laughable. The massive cover bushing is the shi& IMO.. the sheave adjuster is awesome for smooth primary engagement.(like butter). I already have a cover for the 22 sidewinder.. Some on this site will say they are a waste, I disagree.. Plus the guys over at Thunder are a great source of knowledge and always posts on here! Lon from back a few years(previous owner of thunder clutching) ago knows a few things about clutching also! Running a boosted sidewinder with stock primary clutch? Add the 911 !!!
I agree with jonlafon1, the 911 cover will add strength on the clutch towers but with that said keep a close eye on that primary. Even a stocker has its issues on these sleds. If you tune it up I would be looking at other options for a primary. Many post about throwing weights on stock clutches.

Agreed with everything said here. Our 911 cover strengthens the stock primary towers.

But, the key here is checking your clutch often for issues that our 911 covers will not cure. #1 is rollers! Pull your sidepanel and see if your primary rollers spin. If they do not, you have a stuck roller where the bushing has walked out, pinched itself between the side washers and will not move. This can cause huge issues. #2 would be visual distortion or cracks in the primary sheaves from heat or stress.

Just trying to convince myself here, for an all stock Sidewinder. All of the photos of broken primary posted, is not from the towers being week but weights going out. So what is left for improvement is the smooth engagement due to adjustability and wider/better oilite bushing?

Last edited:
Just trying to convince myself here, for an all stock Sidewinder. All of the photos of broken primary posted, is not from the towers being week but weights going out. So what is left for improvement is the smooth engadgement due to adjustability and wider/better oilite bushing?

Yes, it is from weights and the section of the moveable sheave breaking out...due to roller or bushing issues mainly.

Our 911 cover improvements are longevity and minimal wear because of the oilite bronze bushing (clutches we know that have over 13,000 miles on without a rebuild), strengthens the towers (as mentioned), have the dial adjust so you can bring the moveable sheave closer to the belt for smoother engagement, but another nice feature is the ability to adjust weights or work on your clutch without having to mess with the primary spring tension. Just take out the 6 cover bolts and the moveable sheave slides in with no pressure because the 911 cover and dial-adjuster are holding the spring tension. Makes it so much easier to get in, blow any type of debris out of the clutch and so much easier to inspect or work on the primary.

Anyway to adjust belt to primary sheave clearance without the 911 cover? Or is this the only way?

Anyway to adjust belt to primary sheave clearance without the 911 cover? Or is this the only way?
No other way that's EASY. The spider has a shim/washer that can be changed but its a JOB. . As the belt wears some you can move the sheave in with the adjuster ever so slightly.

What you guys found the belt to primary sheave clearance in stock form to be? Somewhat acceptable? Same or worst then on the Apex clutch?

Back