• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tune differences

So for 91octane users we are still limited to 270hp even with header and pm tunes.
Terrible thing to only have 270hp.

I ran 3r pefi for 3000 miles and no issues without header. Safe is as safe as the operator.
The header is lower boost(2 psi) same hp
Flex I would assume is better.

The big intercooler will permit you to run the SAME horsepower longer as it keeps iats in check. IMO the big intercooler hanging off the front says, "Hey look at me, I have a big turbo with 500hp." Then you get smoked by a sled running Powertrail and everyone laughs at you.

A header allows more power with less boost on lower octane, which are the advantages. All things being equal, a sled with a header will outrun a sled without it. The disadvantages are as you state; They are pricy and there is a risk of burnt bellow, possibly sled burning down etc.
Ill take me 500 Hp and lower IAT's . LOL

Are they proven to work?
I have one and I drilled the plate out behind the intercooler which you can see on Tommcat website. I don’t see a big difference but idk. The problem is the damn intercooler is always covered with snow/ice. I’ve never used hurricane under hood which I assume is better?
Short distance performance it doesn’t matter unless you run back to back to back.

The big intercooler will permit you to run the SAME horsepower longer as it keeps iats in check. IMO the big intercooler hanging off the front says, "Hey look at me, I have a big turbo with 500hp." Then you get smoked by a sled running Powertrail and everyone laughs at you.

A header allows more power with less boost on lower octane, which are the advantages. All things being equal, a sled with a header will outrun a sled without it. The disadvantages are as you state; They are pricy and there is a risk of burnt bellow, possibly sled burning down etc.
I wouldn’t think the risk of running a header is any more risk then changing from the stock tune to a aftermarket tune! Besides the cracking where is the risk? Or is it because of the cracking!

I wouldn’t think the risk of running a header is any more risk then changing from the stock tune to a aftermarket tune! Besides the cracking where is the risk? Or is it because of the cracking!

The stock manifold has more airflow between it and the fuel tank, that is what I gather from the comments.
Cracking (and ruining a trip) are certainly one of the bigger considerations as well.

Terrible thing to only have 270hp.
Not really my point, but I have seen
-cai intake adds 5hp
-pm adds 10-25 depending on flow
-header adds 10hp
So some may think adding 1 and 2 gives about 15 more hp.

Dave lists 270 as the limit for 91 and pretty much anything higher than that requires 93. He does have header specific tunes and I'm curious as to what changes with the header tunes. The engine can breathe easier so my guess is boost and timing may be pulled (not a bad thing!).

Last edited:
Makes me wonder when we are going to see flex fuel e85 tunes.

Not really my point, but I have seen
-cai intake adds 5hp
-pm adds 10-25 depending on flow
-header adds 10hp
So some may think adding 1 and 2 gives about 15 more hp.

Dave lists 270 as the limit for 91 and pretty much anything higher than that requires 93. He does have header specific tunes and I'm curious as to what changes with the header tunes. The engine can breathe easier so my guess is boost and timing may be pulled (not a bad thing!).
As mentioned in another post, the advantage to the header is increased response and the same power level at a lower total boost psi. hurricane 270 runs 15 or so psi on header tune vs 17-17.5psi on stock manifold.

What does Hurricane do to the stock manifold that makes it worth 1200.00 upgrade? Thats more then his header? What is the difference in Power compared to his header?

As mentioned in another post, the advantage to the header is increased response and the same power level at a lower total boost psi. hurricane 270 runs 15 or so psi on header tune vs 17-17.5psi on stock manifold.

That must be header plus appropriate muffler? The implication is that the stock manifold is a LOT more restrictive.

What does Hurricane do to the stock manifold that makes it worth 1200.00 upgrade? Thats more then his header? What is the difference in Power compared to his header?
IDK for sure but from what someone posted here in TY, they cut it apart, port/reconfigure it, weld it back together.

Dave discusses his manifold in this post

Back