• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Dammage Due to Ice

One trip last winter it was -35 degF one night coming home from about 75 miles away. Hard pack trails. By the time all 3 of us got back our studs and tracks were all grinding and rubbing bad due to ice buildup. It was just like SaskAttack posted. So we have to be mindful of checking underneath to see what's going on.

I never had icing problems like shown in the pictures shown on here.

Yes many times in Northern Ontario.. Coldest was -44 c, took a few hours and all the hair dryers in the motel to get my apex to start lol..

I only ride on the South shore of Lake Superior.
It doesnt get that cold here. The coldest i rode my Sidewinder has been is about -25°f.
Most of the time its above 0°f.

We seem to see a few more "issues" riding around here that some others don't. Can't find straight temp pic but gives you an idea. Tall windshields rule!
oEF08C1m.jpg

Repaired my tunnel. Its requires alot of disassembly to do the job.

When you guys are replacing your worn out driveshaft take a good look at the top of your tunnel. Push up on the front of the tunnel at the fwd heat exchanger to check this.

I could push my tunnel up by hand creating at least 1/2" of gap to let snow in the engine compartment. Rivets ripped out of the tunnel.
Another issue for blowing belts...

I used hose pinchers and pinched off the coolant hose where it comes thru the tunnel on the left side. That pipe goes up to the filler neck so I didn't loose much coolant.

15587.jpeg
15590.jpeg

Here is a couple pics of my repair. One plate on top of the tunnnel.

15584.jpeg

The bottom I made two plates. One is a filler plate to but up against the lip on the heat exchanger and fill the gap between the tunnel and lip on heat exchanger. Heat exchanger is .080" thick here. The second plate goes over filler plate and lip on heat exchanger sandwiching the top plate, tunnnel, filler plate, and bottom repair plate.

15581.jpeg

Also installed coolant hose protectors under tunnel.
I am happy with the repair and it really stiffened up the front of the tunnel.
Barn of parts wedgey thing is going in driveshaft when done. New top gear and need to weld my tensioner bolts.

Repaired my tunnel. Its requires alot of disassembly to do the job.

When you guys are replacing your worn out driveshaft take a good look at the top of your tunnel. Push up on the front of the tunnel at the fwd heat exchanger to check this.

I could push my tunnel up by hand creating at least 1/2" of gap to let snow in the engine compartment. Rivets ripped out of the tunnel.
Another issue for blowing belts...

I used hose pinchers and pinched off the coolant hose where it comes thru the tunnel on the left side. That pipe goes up to the filler neck so I didn't loose much coolant.

View attachment 150999 View attachment 151000

Here is a couple pics of my repair. One plate on top of the tunnnel.

View attachment 151001

The bottom I made two plates. One is a filler plate to but up against the lip on the heat exchanger and fill the gap between the tunnel and lip on heat exchanger. Heat exchanger is .080" thick here. The second plate goes over filler plate and lip on heat exchanger sandwiching the top plate, tunnnel, filler plate, and bottom repair plate.

View attachment 151003
Also installed coolant hose protectors under tunnel.
I am happy with the repair and it really stiffened up the front of the tunnel.
Barn of parts wedgey thing is going in driveshaft when done. New top gear and need to weld my tensioner bolts.
That aint going anywhere! Well done!

I had mine apart this summer to place more rivets along the top of the heat exchanger. I know what you mean by a lot of work.
Nice job. Pretty solid now.
MS

It funny that you had the lip of the tunnel tear out from the rivets but your louvres didn't look like they got bent/folded down.

The ice on mine flattened that row of louvres. Had to bend them all down
MS

It's a lot of work but I shouldn't have any more issues in that area. Late last winter I started to have belt issue again and now I know why from snow coming in. Below the engine inside the frame would be all ice right up to the top of the frame rails.

It funny that you had the lip of the tunnel tear out from the rivets but your louvres didn't look like they got bent/folded down.

The ice on mine flattened that row of louvres. Had to bend them all down
MS
Good point. It could be just water freezing in between the exchanger and tunnel expanding enough to loosen rivets. Then flex.

Back