• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020-2021 season, Sidewinder testing and racing. Hit my goal of 140+mph

As all of you know, I like to ride my sled and race it also.

This sled was crate loaded in the back of my truck in Minnesota, brought home and was doing clutch testing right away in October of 2016.
From then, it went to EVO Powersports to get a flash, exhaust and boost gauge. Ran EVO's tunes till January, 2021.
Every year has been winter trail riding, off-trail fun and swapped over to asphalt to race the MSADRA series in in summer in Michigan.

This past weekend was a huge success for me as I met my goal of 140+mph (142mph on datalogger with GPS) out of a stock suspension, stock clutches and full bodied sled.... just like off of the showroom floor! Best part is I am not studded, picked or running any kind of speed track. I am 100% XTX 141 with a Cobra 141/1.6 track, 21/41 gearing and stock everything except for EVO exhaust, Thunder Products Clutching components, EVO charge tubes & EVO BOV and Hurricane 300 flash with closed loop. Using a Redline 40R4313 belt and loving it!

Temps were around 30°, wind was about 8-10mph, skies were blue and the snow was settled and crusted with soft snow underneath.....
Every 660ft run was 130-132mph while drag racing and then I was wondering about top mph. Hmmm, I scouted out a path and went for it. When I stopped and checked my data, I was smiling! Everyone was like..."Man, you were movin!!!!"

Love the sled after all the little things have been addressed
Some pics from new till now...

View attachment 160432 View attachment 160433 View attachment 160434 View attachment 160435 View attachment 160436

Here is one video out of several that was showing the skis didn't touch at all.

Very impressive! What type of data logger, are you able to share data log here?

Very impressive! What type of data logger, are you able to share data log here?

Thanks to @HURRICANE this sled is a monster!

It's datalogging from Hurricane to an I-pad that I am still learning how to operate. But, it is my dash now and shows the engine functions. But the datalogging is priceless for tuning and recording runs. I just bought all of this recently and hooked it up 2-3 weeks ago.

My son taught me how to do a screen shot last night....LOL. Now I see a camera on the side where I could take a pic...LMAO!

This shows the max mph and trying to get the screen to stop on the exact point is hard. I was already off the throttle at this point. But shows the tune I was running also. If there was a knock, it kicks it down to the next tune which would be 270SS.

But I love this technology to record everything. The pic at the bottom is one I found on the internet showing how it is mounted.

142 pic.png

i-pad.jpg

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have no experience with machining clutches. Where do you machine?

I machine the bottom of the sheaves on the primary clutch....so the sheaves can come together more. I blend the sharp corner that is left by machining.....smoothen to the sheave angles. But I do not touch the sheave angles themselves.

The secondary I machine the "hub" or the 3 towers between the sheaves when fully shifted out. But again, I do not machine or touch the sheave angles from factory.

****And this is done because I wanted to get the most full shift out of my clutches with the gearing I am running... This is something I do for testing and accept responsibility of my own actions, if the clutches come apart****

These speeds are crazy fast and I make sure I am either on the racetrack or somewhere I have scoped out to make sure I am safe and nobody else will be hurt if I either crash, parts fly off or have to bail (my motto is "never bail", but you never know what is going to happen at 142mph)

These machines are crazy fast off of the showroom floor and should be respected t all times. When you think you have full control is when something will happen. Be safe out there!

It's datalogging from Hurricane to an I-pad that I am still learning how to operate. But, it is my dash now and shows the engine functions. But the datalogging is priceless for tuning and recording runs. I just bought all of this recently and hooked it up 2-3 weeks ago.

My son taught me how to do a screen shot last night....LOL. Now I see a camera on the side where I could take a pic...LMAO!

This shows the max mph and trying to get the screen to stop on the exact point is hard. I was already off the throttle at this point. But shows the tune I was running also. If there was a knock, it kicks it down to the next tune which would be 270SS.

But I love this technology to record everything. The pic at the bottom is one I found on the internet showing how it is mounted.

View attachment 160477

View attachment 160478
Ok you have the Gap data logging and flasher. Yes this is really cool I have it as well and could not do without it now. Once you get use to using and interpreting this data you will like it even more. Just so you know the speed is not gps speed it’s coming from your sled as track speed in the data you are showing. Try this, go back in your log and turn on just speed (not track speed) and maybe rpm and boost, turn off engine temp and all the other stuff. This will clean up your data and give you a good look of your run.

Are u sure these speeds are correct.
Seems fast for the power level.
I know my 18 with the 141 read much higher than actual due to the different drivers with 3 inch pitch.
Try a Dragy out, or use the speedometer69 app.
I think you will find that your mph is off by over 10 mph at least

Last edited:
I machine the bottom of the sheaves on the primary clutch....so the sheaves can come together more. I blend the sharp corner that is left by machining.....smoothen to the sheave angles. But I do not touch the sheave angles themselves.

The secondary I machine the "hub" or the 3 towers between the sheaves when fully shifted out. But again, I do not machine or touch the sheave angles from factory.

****And this is done because I wanted to get the most full shift out of my clutches with the gearing I am running... This is something I do for testing and accept responsibility of my own actions, if the clutches come apart****

These speeds are crazy fast and I make sure I am either on the racetrack or somewhere I have scoped out to make sure I am safe and nobody else will be hurt if I either crash, parts fly off or have to bail (my motto is "never bail", but you never know what is going to happen at 142mph)

These machines are crazy fast off of the showroom floor and should be respected t all times. When you think you have full control is when something will happen. Be safe out there!

View attachment 160477

View attachment 160478
Are you running a header Terry?

Wow those are some crazy speeds. The sleds around here don’t run close to your 660’ speeds in 1500’ on similar tunes and glare ice. It takes a big turbo sled slammed to the ground with speed tracks and 30+lbs of boost to run low 140’s in 1500’.
Your sled is on point, congrats and great job.

That big turbo sled with a speed track was only going full throttle half track or less due to unsafe shutdown for those speeds. But I do agree a full bodied trail ready sled at similar power was only 135 ish and it was ice but not good ice.

You should really come out next year and join the fun.

Last edited:
Ok you have the Gap data logging and flasher. Yes this is really cool I have it as well and could not do without it now. Once you get use to using and interpreting this data you will like it even more. Just so you know the speed is not gps speed it’s coming from your sled as track speed in the data you are showing. Try this, go back in your log and turn on just speed (not track speed) and maybe rpm and boost, turn off engine temp and all the other stuff. This will clean up your data and give you a good look of your run.

Yes, learning with this and getting to know it better.
The reason I have the Max track speed is because when I go thru the files, it shows up the Max speed....otherwise I need to filter through the entire file and find top speed.

Are u sure these speeds are correct.
Seems fast for the power level.
I know my 18 with the 141 read much higher than actual due to the different drivers with 3 inch pitch.
Try a Dragy out, or use the speedometer69 app.
I think you will find that your mph is off by over 10 mph at least

I have GPS mounted on my riser/ handlebars and read 140mph

Got to use a TD gps speedometer, will measure all distances, great tool.

We have that, but have not hooked that up on my sled yet.

Back