• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts.... Tunnel Cooler Hose Protector

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
The tunnel protectors/coolers on the sidewinder are connected in the front via rubber hoses. These hoses are exposed in the tunnel, and proving to be somewhat vulnerable to tears and leaks from ice chunks/ rocks/ debris ect that find there way front in the tunnel.

I've spent some considerable time laying underneath the tunnel on my creeper just brainstorming ideas. The use of studs in a track really limits what I can do under the tunnel. I think I've got a concept that will work. The guard will attach utilizing the front foot well bar mounting bolt. A longer bolt would be needed, but its an easy switch out since the nut is easily accessible without removing the tank.

Below is a photo of my concept and a photo showing the bolt used to mount the guard. By no means is this final. Just sharing my progress so far.

IMG_2397.jpg
IMG_2399.jpg

Travis....Very similar to what I was thinking.

I assume it extends forward, off the tube cooler, overtop of the rubber coolant hose. Does it completely cover it?

Secondly..... If you leave it short as shown, you will likely tear lugs and possibly even track clips when lugs contact the edge. I was thinking you could make it full length, all the way rearward to the stock tunnel protecters which are thicker/taller, so lugs could not tear.

What I would do then, is drill out the entire length, so snow dust can still aid in cooling the tube cooler.

Don did this exact same thing using sliders....he drilled them out, and were designed to be longer stud protectors, but since he extended it long it also helped coolant hose.

Dan

The lip is only 1/8" thick. Final design would have it sitting flush against the cooler and I would also chamfer the edge so there is no lip to catch the track lugs.

Nice work Travis! I too like the short simplicity of just protecting the hoses.

Looks nice so far! Should even work with my 1.75” track! Can’t wait till final product is available!

I picked up two sidewinders that were sold through insurance, and interestingly enough one of them was actually totaled from the torn hose and damaged tunnel around the hose. Finished stripping the other sidewinder yesterday so now i have a bare tunnel to work with and finalize something.

I picked up two sidewinders that were sold through insurance, and interestingly enough one of them was actually totaled from the torn hose and damaged tunnel around the hose. Finished stripping the other sidewinder yesterday so now i have a bare tunnel to work with and finalize something.
Travis , shoot me a PM as soon as you got your first ones made up brother, my sled is all apart as im installing cross shaft, idlers, and she is ready for the coolant hose protection.

I like the idea of two mounting holes too. Great job as always.

Dan

Keep me posted as well.

Food for thought on the coolant hose protector. I like how you used duplicity with another bolt in the tunnel to mount the protector to - it would like make sense to have it anchored in 2 spots, even if a rivet was used as well as the the bolt for the stir ups to keep the bracket in line and keep it from pivoting on the single bolt.

MS

Keep me posted as well.

Food for thought on the coolant hose protector. I like how you used duplicity with another bolt in the tunnel to mount the protector to - it would like make sense to have it anchored in 2 spots, even if a rivet was used as well as the the bolt for the stir ups to keep the bracket in line and keep it from pivoting on the single bolt.

MS
I have been talking bout this with Travis for awhile, final design will be ready soon hopefully.

Back