• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Grenade

Terry please report exactly which secondary springs you have tried.

Yamaha springs - Pink, White, Silver

Thunder Products - Light Blue

Cat - Red/White, Stiff Green

Dalton - Red

I keep going back to the stock SW secondary spring...It works well with all the clutch kits I have tested. Sucks that it coil-binds and the secondary has to be machined or use a different helix where the pocket is machined deeper.

NOS, do you think we would benefit by taking more than .070 inches out of the spring pocket?

i don't own a sidewinder but have been following this forum because i'm interested in it. has anyone tried getting a primary clutch and a 2ndary (both calibrated of course) from say an Apex to try to see if this resolves the issue? just curious

I'm wondering if terry has tested the red/white on different positions such as 0/1 0/2 and or 9/1

Yamaha springs - Pink, White, Silver

Thunder Products - Light Blue

Cat - Red/White, Stiff Green

Dalton - Red

I keep going back to the stock SW secondary spring...It works well with all the clutch kits I have tested. Sucks that it coil-binds and the secondary has to be machined or use a different helix where the pocket is machined deeper.
hey nos I know you mentioned that the sidewinder secondary will fit on a viper! Have you tried the secondary from a viper on a sidewinder??
Just a shot in the dark but I hate hearing\reading about belt issues on this sled!

curious as to why more people have not tried using the button secondary clutch off a nytro/viper.

Last edited:
Guys!!!!

Bitching will get you nowhere here.....

EVO had my SW and blew a belt with 8 miles on the odometer.....8!!!!

Testing in the yard with no snow. I knew the stock clutching was too heavy and belt squeeze was too much. Put in #1 clutch kit, then #2, then #3, then #4 and #5 with no issues with blowing another belt...so I thought "Must have been a flaw in the belt when EVO had it....#*$&@ happens"

Ran the piss out of my 8JP belt and after 600+ miles of hard off-trail, back to back fast speed runs....the belt popped on me while I was showing off in front of some Cats. The bang was so loud...instead of laughing cause I blew a belt, they were concerned I was hurt.

New 8JP belt and now after 1,200 miles. It was time to make some fast speed runs on revised #2 clutch kit. At 130mph GPS, the belt blew in half and actually pushed the side panel out with the belt "sticking it's tongue out". The reason why the belt blew was because the belt climbed over the inner sheave and was pinched between the engine and clutch. How do I know this? Because my gearing only allows me to run about 116mph....but I am overly machined for overdrive. There isn't even a magic-marker mark on my primary anymore.

I have machined both my clutches, set my offset to 61.2mm...and can honestly say when I found out the coil bind was happening, I thought that was it. Machined clutches for friends and has it got better? Hell yes!!! Are we or they still blowing belts? Yup....but now it's after a few hundred miles.

Tried different springs in the secondary and the ones that have less wire diameter will knock off mph on top end. We all have our dimensions checked over to make sure the offset distance is correct. Trying different clutch kits. I don't know what to try anymore....but I believe my sled will not blow a belt if I re-gear. These are my results and have tried everything.

View attachment 126775View attachment 126776View attachment 126777

You should write Yamaha and see what they say! That would be interesting !

Just putting it out there...possible "belt problem" and a mix of both belt and clutch?

To many people with big miles and zero belt problems this is getting way out of hand! Guy just rode over 2 thousand miles zero belt problems, Ben running 150mph zero belt problems, OSP say secondary clutch is great zero problems, I have ran over 1000 miles and did countless top speed runs over 124 mph zero belt problems!

I'm probably going to curse myself, but I have 800 miles and no problems yet besides had one roller with flat spot and replaced with Cat ones. I'm heading to Houghton MI this weekend so i hope i just didnt jinx myself!!

Iguess I understand that some think others are complaining too much but I ask this question. Knowing the differences in hp etc. , I do not recall many complaints about Apexes blowing belts. Even those that have superchargers, turbos etc. Just saying. I got a pretty fair deal on my sled, but those guys in paying 15, 16 grand or more should expect a belt to last 1,000 miles....at least.

Back