• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

w
Ha I bought the 33/35 helix and rollers. Forgot about spring...... Probably need that?
well i bought the kit and springs but forgot to buy the helix at hay days. Was so excited to be at my first hay days that i forgot a bunch of stuff i wanted to look at!! LOL

I love the strong helix and stock 3-3 setting for hard pack trail conditions.
All my best MPH and results are with this setup.

On my race setup at 28-29 psi I use STM clutches and run a different helix setup.

Very loaded question that will bring many replies......

For me, this would be the CHEAPEST ONE THING that "MAY" help give better belt life, ease your mind on secondary coil bind, and likely help performance down low. Many other things MAY help too, but they are all more costly and very well may not be needed for good belt life.

So for the 35(TP) / 29(Dalton) bucks or so, a spring would be a simple thing to at least start with.

BTW they are both Orange(TP) or Black/Orange(Dalton)

Dan
I have an early build (2/17) LTX/LE 50th. Should I get the orange spring and billet helix right away or at least put some miles on first? I'm an average trail/big mile rider, most likely only pin this thing on rare occasions! I have 1 loose roller now and they are a blackish/grafite color witch another member posted is the old roller. Had my dealer run the vin. and no recalls on my sled. So I'm totally confused now about the secondary!

I have an early build (2/17) LTX/LE 50th. Should I get the orange spring and billet helix right away or at least put some miles on first? I'm an average trail/big mile rider, most likely only pin this thing on rare occasions! I have 1 loose roller now and they are a blackish/grafite color witch another member posted is the old roller. Had my dealer run the vin. and no recalls on my sled. So I'm totally confused now about the secondary!
I put 1600 miles on my stock Winder last year with zero issues with belts. My belt still looks new and all three of my stock rollers are touching the helix. I do however have a primary roller that is froze. I have since bought a thunder products clutch kit that comes with heavy hitter weights, orange primary spring and glide washers. I also got the orange secondary spring and 33/35 helix. I will be getting the new secondary rollers and primary rollers under warranty first before I put all the new stuff on . You might want to try the sled stock and put some miles on before trying anything and if you do decide to go with the spring and helix why not just blow a few more bucks like I did and get the whole kit?:-o

I run a lot of thunder stuff and have for years. I have the 911 cover, heavy hitters, glide washers on my current winder. Not so sure about the orange PRIMARY spring. And not bashing any of thunder products As I have and like them/ Just not a huge fan of the Orange primary. I know of one that showed paint missing and binding even with glide washers on winder.. Maybe it was a isolated bad spring. I like the Yamaha yellow/green/yellow in primary

I put 1600 miles on my stock Winder last year with zero issues with belts. My belt still looks new and all three of my stock rollers are touching the helix. I do however have a primary roller that is froze. I have since bought a thunder products clutch kit that comes with heavy hitter weights, orange primary spring and glide washers. I also got the orange secondary spring and 33/35 helix. I will be getting the new secondary rollers and primary rollers under warranty first before I put all the new stuff on . You might want to try the sled stock and put some miles on before trying anything and if you do decide to go with the spring and helix why not just blow a few more bucks like I did and get the whole kit?:-o
I'll admit I'm not to savvy when it comes to clutching. The adjustable primary weights always scared me. So never ran them or full out clutch kits other than new secondary spring and helix when I rode Cats. My 07 Attack clutch's are bone stock with nothing done to them other than new secondary buttons in 16'500 miles! I got 13'000 miles out of the original 8dn belt! So I left my fingers off the clutch's. I do like my sled to run at 100% and be as reliable and dependable as it can be. My buddy I ride with has a 12 XF turbo Cat, we do next to zero off trail riding and no racing, but being it's just the two of us we do big miles 250/300 a day. The issue that has me worried mostly is the rollers. Do I have the updated ones or not?? For me, the orange secondary spring and billet helix would be to eliminate the possibility of coil bind, that's it!

I'll admit I'm not to savvy when it comes to clutching. The adjustable primary weights always scared me. So never ran them or full out clutch kits other than new secondary spring and helix when I rode Cats. My 07 Attack clutch's are bone stock with nothing done to them other than new secondary buttons in 16'500 miles! I got 13'000 miles out of the original 8dn belt! So I left my fingers off the clutch's. I do like my sled to run at 100% and be as reliable and dependable as it can be. My buddy I ride with has a 12 XF turbo Cat, we do next to zero off trail riding and no racing, but being it's just the two of us we do big miles 250/300 a day. The issue that has me worried mostly is the rollers. Do I have the updated ones or not?? For me, the orange secondary spring and billet helix would be to eliminate the possibility of coil bind, that's it!
IMO, I would think your sled has the updated rollers in it from the factory, I don't bielieve Yamaha stocks the problematic rollers that flat spot. Hopefully the updated rollers don't flat spot. Time will tell, if I were you and like to ride big miles, try the sled first bone stock, break it in and go from there.

"I know of one that showed paint missing and binding even with glide washers on winder.."

Me too and I'm not real happy about it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing to worry about.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rollers because I'm pretty sure you have the updated ones since they were addressed early last season. Even if they do flat spot they will be covered under warranty. I would be concerned if all three rollers aren't touching the helix though. All three of mine are on the stock helix and if they weren't the new helix is suppose to solve that issue. With my luck all three won't touch on the new helix. LOL! You sound like me when it comes to riding. I don't like to mess around much with my sleds and my Wife and I love groomed trail touring that's why we ride 4 strokes. I just figured since I'm keeping my SW stock as far as the engine goes I will at least try to make it perform as good as a stock one can with a little clutching help. Good luck with your SW I'm confident you will really like it. I had my doubts when I bought mine but now I'm really happy with it. Also don't let all the negative reports about belts and stuff bother you because most of these guys ride like maniacs.

"I know of one that showed paint missing and binding even with glide washers on winder.."

Me too and I'm not real happy about it. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's nothing to worry about.
I have a couple springs laying around, we can change it out.. You may just have got one that's just off a bit.. I experienced this in the past with primary springs. Its like every once in a great while you get one that just binds and works for SH&%. Happened to me with other brands.

I run a lot of thunder stuff and have for years. I have the 911 cover, heavy hitters, glide washers on my current winder. Not so sure about the orange PRIMARY spring. And not bashing any of thunder products As I have and like them/ Just not a huge fan of the Orange primary. I know of one that showed paint missing and binding even with glide washers on winder.. Maybe it was a isolated bad spring. I like the Yamaha yellow/green/yellow in primary
I was unstanding it was the new secondary orange 4 coil spring,to stop coil bind,but check with guys who have already received one.

What did you end up with on your whole clutch set up?

Out of all the clutch kits I have tested and used....The Thunder Products kit is what I use/used mostly last year with a 33/35 helix. But the new ACY weights from one stop work awesome also. The Thunder kit is install and go with the availability to change if need be. ACY weights are put in and go, but to get low and smooth engagement, you will need to purchase a primary spring.

I was unstanding it was the new secondary orange 4 coil spring,to stop coil bind,but check with guys who have already received one.
Beast,I was writing about the orange PRIMARY spring from Thunder. I have the new secondary orange spring to try this year.

The Yamaha replacement rollers are also flat-spotting....buy aftermarket rollers and you won't have a problem.

The Yamaha replacement rollers are also flat-spotting....buy aftermarket rollers and you won't have a problem.
Terry, thanks for this. I have been gathering up all the goodies I need for winter and like to get it all before I head north for good. And the rollers were one of those items(cheap) that I keep thinking just buy a set "just in case". And just not have to worry anymore. Seems like alot good aftermarket ones out there too now. I think it will be a good thing to have ready.

So you must have seen some of the "new" stock rollers already not faring so well?

Back