• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blown Belt

ClutchMaster probably nailed it. Maybe thats one reason for me not blowing belts. I like to glide into corner and let the clutch pull me down which helps plant the front... Then throttle through. Now I'm just old & slow. I use my brakes twice a season. Wether I need to or not.
Agree...a few times the other day I chose to slide to a stop sign, just playing white nascar in my head and each time, the audible squeal taking off of the convertor not shifted back. Not the best for a belt. Smooth in and out of corners is usually fastest too.

will my belt snapped rite into..... there was no other belt parts dwn inside....cleanest break you could ever imagine....i was expecting to see a million pcs ...
How hot was it when it blew?

it wasn't hot.....got rite in there and put new belt on... clutches were only warn to the touch

Should be easy to figure out then. At what speed did it break?

my buddy and i were playin .. my rtx vs his ltx....his being stock and mine wicked up (270 r) ...we both don't like getting on her hard out of the hole ... we like rollin starts....lol

Last edited:
Secondary probably didn't downshift enough. Might need slightly stiffer spring. But with a clean break and if that breakage not happening alot, I might just chalk it up to coincidence.

I think that when I drive slowly and hit the gas and the boost increases, the secondary does not shift fast enough due to strong spring or too little angle on the helix. Then it pulls the belt straight off. It happened to me both on hard trail and in deep snow. (Hurricane 270 r)

yeah i can see that happening .... mine is 270 race as well ...forgot to put race in my post a couple back....lol... just has so much grunt that I'm not used too

I think that when I drive slowly and hit the gas and the boost increases, the secondary does not shift fast enough due to strong spring or too little angle on the helix. Then it pulls the belt straight off. It happened to me both on hard trail and in deep snow. (Hurricane 270 r)
Same happened with mine...

Changing my setup to hopefully take care of that.

Wow great info

I know a blown belt is inevitable since I still have an 07 Attak. What concerns me is I have seen a few photos of blown out plastic from the belts grenading on the SW. I have never before witnessed a blown belt on a sled resulting in replacing body work. Since there are embarrassingly no parts supply to speak of I guess those riders are frankensled patching these holes and that sucks to me. Even if the part was available sure makes a blown belt more expensive. I'd really like to wrap up a spare belt and keep it under the clutches under some kind of plate to protect the pan and the next victim. I know Belanger sells a piece that seems expensive. Can I use it and place a wrapped spare belt under it? Does anyone know of any solutions for this?
Barn of parts has one for our machine s, fairy inexpensive for piece of mind.

THe belt sitting to low will not cause any loss on top end?

Belt deflection has zero effect on anything past engagement.

You may be thinking a shorter belt, shorter belts will go to a higher top speed only because its starting in a higher gear to start with, and shift to a higher gear at full shift, as long as it does not bottom out anywhere in the secondary at top speed.

THe belt sitting to low will not cause any loss on top end?

Once the sled drives off, and the secondary begins its shift....the helix moves off the adjuster, so now the "shift" or "where belt rides" is determined by the springs. So the deflection will help things on initial drive off, but after the shift begins its all controlled by what components are in the clutches.

Shorter belt on the other hand will MPH more since its a different ratio. Good proof is the longer 8DN vs. Stock shorter belt.

Dan

Once the sled drives off, and the secondary begins its shift....the helix moves off the adjuster, so now the "shift" or "where belt rides" is determined by the springs. So the deflection will help things on initial drive off, but after the shift begins its all controlled by what components are in the clutches.

Shorter belt on the other hand will MPH more since its a different ratio. Good proof is the longer 8DN vs. Stock shorter belt.

Dan
Yep yep ^
Deflection to loose and sled will bog and feel sluggish off the line. That’s about it. If you have notched weights it will trench, rpms will go up down, up down, up down when going at low speeds. No affect on anything after that.

Back