• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Finally have my Sidewinder

Back when the 850 first came out Doo boasted about 4 stroke reliability and it will use 40% less oil than the previous 800. They were wrong on both counts. First they still blow up. Just go on DooTalk and read about it. Guys blow them up all the time. This year they are blowing cranks. Add the fact they are hard on belts and probably use 40% more oil than the 800'they replace.

Doo guys had a field day when the 840 Polaris was blowing up this year but I don't think the 850 Doo is much more reliable. I hate to say this but the most reliable 2 stroke on the market are probably the c tech Cat engines.

No offence, but your constant 2-stroke complaining and posting plagues every forum. You read way to much then you need to post in those forums only to bring them to the top because you have feelings to share, then read them again the same day. Push your keyboard away once in a while!

Dan

Back when the 850 first came out Doo boasted about 4 stroke reliability and it will use 40% less oil than the previous 800. They were wrong on both counts. First they still blow up. Just go on DooTalk and read about it. Guys blow them up all the time. This year they are blowing cranks. Add the fact they are hard on belts and probably use 40% more oil than the 800'they replace.

Doo guys had a field day when the 840 Polaris was blowing up this year but I don't think the 850 Doo is much more reliable. I hate to say this but the most reliable 2 stroke on the market are probably the c tech Cat engines.

I hesitate to get this thread derailed yet again but here's the most dependable, reliable, and proven 2-stroke motor on the market today, and it's made by Yamaha!....

Not to mention that it's got world class handling and comfort with the front Telescopic Strut Suspension that's just begging for you to take some sweet jumps!

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/2-up-touring-utility/models/vk540

VK540.JPG

I've got a pretty strong feeling that YMC (Yamaha Motor Corporation) just might have what some of us have been waiting for coming in the near future in a new 2-stroke.
black-curtain.jpg

Last edited:
that's the difference between a cat speedo and doo speedo. On snow even an 850 has a hard time breaking 100 on a cat speedo or GPS

Dan
Yeah Dano you said it. Reading any DT top speed thread really makes me laugh, guy showing their gauge top speed, many with ice rippers which we all know SPIN bigtime, along with the incorrect speedos...grrrr

BRP should be embarrassed to sell their sleds with huge digital speedos, and then sell GPS kits. So they are blatantly lying about their speeds to everyone who then posts their speeds.

Maybe BRP will fix the discrepancy with their new 7" wide gauges cluster(very nice cluster for 20202) , naaa, my guess is BRP does not correct it at all.

Dan

I hesitate to get this thread derailed yet again but here's the most dependable, reliable, and proven 2-stroke motor on the market today, and it's made by Yamaha!....

Not to mention that it's got world class handling and comfort with the Strut Suspension that's just begging for you to take some sweet jumps!

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/2-up-touring-utility/models/vk540

View attachment 148307

My dealer often mentions a 880 YAM 2s engine. He claims its been ready for a few seasons and YAM will be bringing that out sooner or later. I sure hope this is true, and would love to see a new 880 2s YAM built engine. All the 2s YAM engines I had were strong and never went down.

Maybe this is the engine that YAM will fill the 150hp slot with??? YAM needs to have a 150hp engine/sled IMO that is priced with the other brands in this range. Since the Apex is gone now, i think it should be filled.

Dan

My dealer often mentions a 880 YAM 2s engine. He claims its been ready for a few seasons and YAM will be bringing that out sooner or later. I sure hope this is true, and would love to see a new 880 2s YAM built engine. All the 2s YAM engines I had were strong and never went down.

Maybe this is the engine that YAM will fill the 150hp slot with??? YAM needs to have a 150hp engine/sled IMO that is priced with the other brands in this range. Since the Apex is gone now, i think it should be filled.

Dan
I feel that both Polaris and Doo have gone backwards as far as 2 stroke reliability with their big bores. Their 600's seem to be pretty reliable as are the Cat 2 strokes. Is this because of the big power they are getting from them along with running them on the lean side? Probably but what I don't understand is both Doo and Poo had crank bearing issues on their 850's. I think this is pretty unacceptable with the technology available today.

Supposedly Polaris has solved this issue for 2020 but Doo changed the way their cranks received oil for 2019 and they were worse than the previous design. Cat may not have the best performing 2 strokes but they seem to have the most,reliable.

I'm sure if Yamaha indeed wants to get back into performance 2 stroke engines they have the ability to build them as reliable as they possibly could be. I always loved their 3 cylinder 2 strokes.

IMO the reliability of large displacement twins (800-850) can not be attained. Unless some new tech is released, they are currently at their limit. So many are eating up the marketing hype about lightweight and are drinking the Kool Aid. Most people can't tell the difference between a full tank of gas and an empty tank (80lbs) and say 4 strokes are too heavy. I bet if the OEMs of 2 strokes were to go back to triples all these reliability issues would all but vanish. I didn't say 100%, but I bet the engine failures would be few. How much heavier would a triple 2s be over a twin these days (25-30lbs)? And don't forget the sweet symphony a triple makes! just my 2 cents.

IMO the reliability of large displacement twins (800-850) can not be attained. Unless some new tech is released, they are currently at their limit. So many are eating up the marketing hype about lightweight and are drinking the Kool Aid. Most people can't tell the difference between a full tank of gas and an empty tank (80lbs) and say 4 strokes are too heavy. I bet if the OEMs of 2 strokes were to go back to triples all these reliability issues would all but vanish. I didn't say 100%, but I bet the engine failures would be few. How much heavier would a triple 2s be over a twin these days (25-30lbs)? And don't forget the sweet symphony a triple makes! just my 2 cents.
My 02 viper and 05 v max 800 do sound SWEET .And they still rip !

Dan

Same here. Have heard it mentioned 2 years in a row from dealer. Supposedly Cat was to use it last year and again this year in their mountain sleds...

Remember this one? 1983 SRV 540cc 2S bullet proof
View attachment 148309

My younger sister had one of those back in the day. We called it her Volvo, whereas she had a Volvo vehicle with mega miles on it that just would not quit, and this thing was much the same. Only prob was gas mileage, 8 mpg.

That motor has been around for decades!!

Sold her last sled years ago. 98 SRX with can and gears.

I think the big twins that are making 165hp are pushing their limits of reliability.

But I also think these clean new 2s engines are so close toleranced, and burn so hot to pass EPA they will never have longevity. I think this is why the Cats last longer as they are not a true DI, more like a SDI.

2s owners are now buying with longer warranty, then dumping them. Most every newer 2s owner knows full well to NOT KEEP or OWN any of these new 2s without warranty. These engines cost huge dollars to rebuild/replace. I dont see how anyone would want one out of warranty, and makes me wonder who ends up with these sleds after 4 years.

I admit they are a blast to ride, and yes the weight is instantly felt between the 4s and 2s when the trails are beat up. Fun factor is maximized. Just too bad they cannot last.

Say it all the time, there is no perfect sled. While I love 4s reliability and longevity and ability to make big power with the turbos, if you are buying a new ride every 2 or 3 yrs anyway, you can certainly swap over to 2s power for a lightweight change and not worry. But if you are one who keeps them a long time, 4s is a MUST for sure. But no one sled is the end all be all especially if you ride tight trails and then also ride big wide open trails. Winders shine on those big trails and I would never want a 2s for those type trails full time.

I still think we need a 150hp 4s from YAM to fill that spot....if the Viper with its lighter weight, and no ice in tunnel, were to get bumped to 150hp, that would be a nice option for many. I know it seems like not enough power, but remember the NA 4s engine is SNAPPY corner to corner, where the Winder is NOT as good stock corner to corner and needs a early spool tune to get that more fun down low. For big trails the stock Winder is fine.

Dan

Last edited:
All 2 stroke sleds from Polaris and Doo are throw-aways and they know this. Said manufacturers WANT to sell you new pistons and short blocks(and less expensive new sleds) while keeping their dealerships swamped with work. They make so much money doing this they can plow it into R&D to bring you the next 'all-new' model with 50cc's more. Their loyal customers don't seem to care and shrug it off while lining up like sheep for slaughter. My neighbour has a pair of Pol Rush 600's, both have blown up, one THREE times! I agree with Dan you'd have to be nuts to own one out of warranty.
Personally I have no interest in going back to two stroke. Been there. Why eat chicken when I can have steak.

All 2 stroke sleds from Polaris and Doo are throw-aways and they know this. Said manufacturers WANT to sell you new pistons and short blocks(and less expensive new sleds) while keeping their dealerships swamped with work. They make so much money doing this they can plow it into R&D to bring you the next 'all-new' model with 50cc's more. Their loyal customers don't seem to care and shrug it off while lining up like sheep for slaughter. My neighbour has a pair of Pol Rush 600's, both have blown up, one THREE times! I agree with Dan you'd have to be nuts to own one out of warranty.
Personally I have no interest in going back to two stroke. Been there. Why eat chicken when I can have steak.
Well said .
I am eating at your table !

Back