• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mach Z not stock king of the lake.

I had such high hopes to run into one or two of them (900r) this year.
I mean they sound so fast out of the box, it's unbelievable.....
Jvji24.... you're starting to remind me of a troll on dootalk. Kinda likes to keep things cool then Wham-O! Out comes the spewage. It's too much...lol

A stock sidewinder is slow. So is a stock tcat
This is fun to read though! Lmao
I disagree completely. Back when I got my 17 Winder all I heard was it was slow and had horrible throttle response. Guys kept talking about a decompressed turbo engine having lousy response and all sorts of BS. Every Doo guy over on DooTalk said they destroyed every Winder they raced. Well I never lost to any stinking 850 anything. My Winder faster than anything I ever owned before and faster than anything I went up against all season long. On top of that it handled and rode as good as anything on snow.

Nothing about the ski doo impresses me.
They have been lying to their customers for years and people drank the Kool aid.
They kept buying every year hoping for longer than 400 miles on a belt.
The 2 stroke engines wouldn't make it thru two years without blowing up.
The engine management systems would go into limp mode all the time.
The list goes on and on.
Now comes the almighty mack everybody creamed their shorts over.
Most say its a dud.
The story then changes so they except that fact and say its a nice sled now.
Ski doo then says whats next as they laugh at their customers.

This thread should be moved to the lounge or deleted.

You can say this and argue it but I haven’t owned a 998 without 4-6 k more in parts on it. Start with garbage clutches and that takes care of stand alone ecu. And the parts go on and on.
I say at least skidoo is trying and good for them to continue. Competition is a good thing and maybe they surprise us all next year.
Is it a 300 hp 998? Nope

No arguing anything, just pointing out what went into the sled. There are guys on dootalk talking about $8-10k. I wasn't picking on them, its a great trail sled.

I don't know where all these crazy dollar figures are coming from. Sure, you can spend thousands if you want the really BIG power.
However -
1) A $500 tune will get you around 235-240HP, no clutching necessary. I've done this one many Winders for guys who just want to ride with no mechanical ability. They love it.
2) A $650 tune will get you 250-260HP. Strictly software, and you can either buy a set of weights for the clutch or add some grams to the stock weights.
For those throwing around 5-10'000 dollar figures to make a good winder, please.....enough.

That's the BEST thing about the 998 over the 900R, is the cheap (inexpensive) power.
For $300 (on sale) i got the TD Ecotrail. I already had the clutch parts cuz i was trying to stop the belt blowing.
As of now, Hurricane has a whole ECU replacement for $2600 or so & that's just the ECU. They are running 230ish HP.

I won't be doing that, but if somebody can get me the 17.4psi i was promised for $500 or so, i may jump on that.
Most likely i'll just rebuild shocks & replace a few bearings and prepare for my next years BBB

BBB=Beating By Boost

That's the BEST thing about the 998 over the 900R, is the cheap (inexpensive) power.
For $300 (on sale) i got the TD Ecotrail. I already had the clutch parts cuz i was trying to stop the belt blowing.
As of now, Hurricane has a whole ECU replacement for $2600 or so & that's just the ECU. They are running 230ish HP.

I won't be doing that, but if somebody can get me the 17.4psi i was promised for $500 or so, i may jump on that.
Most likely i'll just rebuild shocks & replace a few bearings and prepare for my next years BBB

BBB=Beating By Boost
That's some great mileage you got on. You mustn't be married.:cool:

Nothing about the ski doo impresses me.
They have been lying to their customers for years and people drank the Kool aid.
They kept buying every year hoping for longer than 400 miles on a belt.
The 2 stroke engines wouldn't make it thru two years without blowing up.
The engine management systems would go into limp mode all the time.
The list goes on and on.
Now comes the almighty mack everybody creamed their shorts over.
Most say its a dud.
The story then changes so they except that fact and say its a nice sled now.
Ski doo then says whats next as they laugh at their customers.

This thread should be moved to the lounge or deleted.
Yet you owned an FX Nytro ! LOL!! I bought my wife a FX Nytro when they first came out in 08. She actually liked it but I thought it was the biggest pile of crap ever built for snow right along with the Polaris Fusion. I hated almost everything about that sled. I had an Apex and when I rode here Nytro I wanted to kill myself.
I guess if that Nytro impressed you then there is no way you will ever like a Doo.

Seeing some of the 900r comments about not needing to be as fast as the winder reminds me of some ctec-2 800 owners not needing a cc boost to compete with the 850's.

You cannot beat a well setup 998T if you like to go fast. It's cheap and easy to add power. Plain and simple.

As a package, I would favor the 900R as a trail sled. We bought my wife a 2019 900 turbo in March. It is a really nice sled. Nice enough that I have decided I need to at least ride a 900R before deciding what my next sled will be.

Seeing some of the 900r comments about not needing to be as fast as the winder reminds me of some ctec-2 800 owners not needing a cc boost to compete with the 850's.
The 900r will compete with the Winder just fine on the trail and in distances of around a 1/4 mile. I have no idea about a two mile run on a lake but honestly many of us don't run long distances on lakes. There are many ways to determine a sleds performance and long lake runs are a very small percentage of determining a sleds performance.
There may be many 900rs with issues and maybe Doo will fix them but there are also many really good running 900r's out there and I have one. I wouldn't be afraid to line up with any stock Winder where I ride because I've already done it and I really like my chances.

Yet you owned an FX Nytro ! LOL!! I bought my wife a FX Nytro when they first came out in 08. She actually liked it but I thought it was the biggest pile of crap ever built for snow right along with the Polaris Fusion. I hated almost everything about that sled. I had an Apex and when I rode here Nytro I wanted to kill myself.
I guess if that Nytro impressed you then there is no way you will ever like a Doo.

My FX nytro is a very fun sled to ride if you know how to ride them.
Its not king of the lake but will take the rough trails with ease. It was sold as a rough trail sled.
Too bad Yamaha didn't update the front end on those as it was a good platform.

Oh by the way, I still have my Nytro with over 20,000 miles on it and won't be afraid to take it out on a 200 mile day. Can't say that about any ski doo sled from that era.

The 900r will compete with the Winder just fine on the trail and in distances of around a 1/4 mile. I have no idea about a two mile run on a lake but honestly many of us don't run long distances on lakes. There are many ways to determine a sleds performance and long lake runs are a very small percentage of determining a sleds performance.
There may be many 900rs with issues and maybe Doo will fix them but there are also many really good running 900r's out there and I have one. I wouldn't be afraid to line up with any stock Winder where I ride because I've already done it and I really like my chances.

Go jump up and down and clap on doo talk about your 900r.
Your just a troll here!:drink:

And snowmobile talk is alive and well as it has not changed since the late sixties… Passion has always been and always will be a big part of this sport and competition is alive and well and still selling sleds which is a good thing… Hats off to you high mileage guys that continue to test and report your findings to all others… Hats off to guys on here that are true sled mechanic’s and take time to help others… Hats off to Vendors on here that point others in the right direction especially when they have no financial gain in their help… Hats off to the current and former racers that offer advice from their experiences and take time to post.. Hats off to all the Administrators that watch and work this website to keep the peace and keep it going all these years.. Thank You all …

Back