• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

upper gear bushing

All good, keep it another year, it's not even broken in yet! Still has warranty and a ton of goodies. And looks almost as good as my 17 haha!!
IMG_2227.jpg

All good, keep it another year, it's not even broken in yet! Still has warranty and a ton of goodies. And looks almost as good as my 17 haha!!
View attachment 147440
I started adding up the costs for me to rebuild a new one same way...man its a schitt-t0n of green backs! Yeah still 3 more yrs warranty I got too.

Trying to avoid getting into the case every 2000 miles. It’s not the cost of the gear that I care about....
I will try to find something this summer

Trying to avoid getting into the case every 2000 miles. It’s not the cost of the gear that I care about....
I will try to find something this summer
Honestly I would not want to ride these sleds more then 2000 MILES without opening that case up, its just not something that I trust. Way too many things can go wrong.lol

Upper gear swap is pretty easy(cheap too), I would say new chain too around 5000 miles, as mine is pretty much at its END of adjustment with stock gearing.

Dan

Well, if you fix the tensioner, then the bushing you wont HAVE to get into the case every 2000. Kind of the point of this thread.
If I have something in my hand and can replace it with a better part, I do it.

Just ordered a new tensioner and new 21 top gear for 90 shipped to my door. AC parts. I am at 1700 miles so the new parts will go in regardless. The new tensioner will also be tack welded.

I will be replacing my top gear every fall until someone comes up with a bushing that lasts.

KOYO_NRB_00093514.jpg

I may try to find something like this. It will be hard to find one thin enough.

Last edited:
lol

If you can find one a little thicker just get the inside of the gear machine to fit it
Dont forget there are cases of soft shafts too. No way is it hard enough to run a bearing on. Clutchmaster posted # of a solid bronze bushing. Thats what I am trying next year.

Dont forget there are cases of soft shafts too. No way is it hard enough to run a bearing on
I thought those shafts where the older models? I know my buddy bought a Scott Taylor shaft to fix his 14 Cat. I haven't heard of any newer ones with shaft problems, maybe I missed it?
I am trying to understand HOW/WHY this bushing wears. 99.9% of the time it it rotating with the upper shaft. Only in reverse does it spin on the shaft. It must be side pressure from the chain which wears the bushing????If the chain is over tightened it must contribute to bushing wear. High HP the same. Tighter tolerance needed? Bushing that slightly extends beyond the gear on both sides?
There is enough brain power here that we can up with SOMETHING?

Back