• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Cutting Production for 2019

It took me a while to move from the "darkside"; when it came to sleds, I was all Polaris and all 2-stroke until I rode a 2011 Vector with the 1049 cc 4-stroke and realized that a 4-stroke engine could be fun in a snowmobile. Now, like most on this site, I "bleed blue," and I want to be able to look at Poo's and Doo's, knowing my sled is as good or better than anything they make. I was not devastated by the Yamaha-Arctic Cat agreement, or the fact that my Viper is really an Arctic Cat pro-cross chassis with blue and white paint; it still has that 1049 engine that made me fall in love with Yamaha in the first place. The difference between my old Vector and my Viper is that my Viper is an absolute blast to ride, and I come in at the end of the day with a big smile rather than a sore back. Whatever "fit and finish" issues Arctic Cat may have, they designed a great chassis that handles and rides better than anything that ever came out of Japan. So, I am not setting my hopes on an all-new "Japan Sled." My hope is that the engineers at Thief River Falls have something new and even better than the pro-cross on the design table, and that it will be built from the ground up to fit a Yamaha 4-stroke, maybe even the vaunted Apex motor! As long as I ride a sled that handles and rides as good as the Poo's and Doo's, and it has a Yamaha 4-stroke engine that puts a smile on my face (with Yamaha stickers on the chassis) I will be a happy man.

Yamaha on its own has the tech and the vision to build a cutting edge chassis with all out handling and comfort with a stunning industry first new design with their engines in a light weight frame, this is what their customers are screaming for, bring back the pride Yamaha!!! you will not accomplish this sharing the pro cross chassis, at present you will only move forward when Textron allows you, this is so sad for a legendary company that has always shook the sled industry with its vision.

Yamaha on its own has the tech and the vision to build a cutting edge chassis with all out handling and comfort with a stunning industry first new design with their engines in a light weight frame, this is what their customers are screaming for, bring back the pride Yamaha!!! you will not accomplish this sharing the pro cross chassis, at present you will only move forward when Textron allows you, this is so sad for a legendary company that has always shook the sled industry with its vision.

Isn't that really the question? Does Yamaha really have the "tech and the vision to build a cutting edge chassis"? And if they don't have it right now, do they have the commitment to snowmobiling that will cause them to develop it? It has been a very long time since Yamaha was at the forefront of chassis design, and unfortunately, as everyone on here has been saying, the fact that they cut the deal with Arctic Cat was based upon the fact that they knew their then current sled chassis' were woefully out of date. It was easier and cheaper to piggyback on Arctic Cat's "tech and vision." I sincerely hope you are right and that Yamaha has a secret weapon under wraps that will turn the snowmobile world upside down, but I am afraid that the reality is Yamaha has hitched its wagon to Arctic Cat's team of horses. All I am saying is that when I ride my "Yamaha," as long as it is a great sled, I am okay with the fact that it was mostly designed and built in Thief River Falls. In my mind, when I hear that Yamaha four-stroke throttle up, I am still riding a Yamaha, and I still have pride in my sled.

I see what your saying and understand, but do you think that somebody riding a Cat 7000 hears his engine throttle up thinks he's on a Yamaha? i'm hoping Peter Smallman from Yamaha is just not feeding his sled customers a line, I hope he stay's true to his word about Yamaha's commitment to new sled development and stuns the sled industry soon!!!

I just don't understand why Yamaha has not stepped up and give its customers a little hint that a new all Yamaha sled is in the works, yes customers like the new sidewinder but when you pull along side a thunder cat it really sets in that you are riding a re stickered sled, Yamaha reps must surf this site its time for them to step up because they are losing customers, they are losing hope, their blue blood is being sucked out and left in a puddle of green, blue blood Yamaha customers are being forced to rip the Yamaha badge of their jackets and move to the dark side which is lit up by Yellow or Red, long live the Apex!!
Do you know or guessing that a new all Yamaha sled is in the works? Have you heard any rumors of this?

Dont expect huge changes to any brands chassis for a few years,not much more to do other than changing center of gravity!!just the facts people...i guess someone could bring back the manta?

Do you know or guessing that a new all Yamaha sled is in the works? Have you heard any rumors of this?
I have heard rumors from Yamaha tech funneling down from some reps that a new proto type is in its final stages of testing, I was told that they had problems with the motor in early tests that pushed the proto type back, I believe testing takes about 4 years, but this is a new Yamaha chassis, when the tech asked some more questions about it the rep started talking corporate BS and the conversation stopped, now this isn't written in stone but it has given me someone that bleeds blue hope, also there is a old saying..you see with your eye's not your ears, we now wait and see what happens.

I believe testing takes about 4 years,

WTF: What do we have to all pitch in and buy Yamaha Corp a trailer to get to the snow? Tourists are going to Antactica just to get laid!

WTF: What do we have to all pitch in and buy Yamaha Corp a trailer to get to the snow? Tourists are going to Antactica just to get laid!
lol, I believe the sidewinder engine was in development that long also, but I could be wrong.

Yamaha will not be a viable snowmobile manufacture until they make competitive 2 strokes again.
Completely disagree. I see more four strokes around here than two strokes now...........

Dont expect huge changes to any brands chassis for a few years,not much more to do other than changing center of gravity!!just the facts people...i guess someone could bring back the manta?
Something I found interesting with the new Cat 600 race sled is they had a picture of one with a new body style that kind of resembles the cab of the new snow scoot, is there a new body style coming? will this new style migrate into the Yamaha line, I seen the picture in a snowmobile Mag, i'm thinking SnowTech.

Completely disagree. I see more four strokes around here than two strokes now...........

You may see that in pockets but four strokes make up about 25% of all sleds sold. I like the four strokes myself but too many sledders are willing to live with the shortcomings of the two strokes and a ton of them are sold every year. Yamaha needs some of that volume and profit to justify cost of producing new sleds. I would guess that skidoo will sell more 600 two strokes this year than all Yamaha 4-stroke sleds combined.

You may see that in pockets but four strokes make up about 25% of all sleds sold. I like the four strokes myself but too many sledders are willing to live with the shortcomings of the two strokes and a ton of them are sold every year. Yamaha needs some of that volume and profit to justify cost of producing new sleds. I would guess that skidoo will sell more 600 two strokes this year than all Yamaha 4-stroke sleds combined.

Here is my take on the future of Yamaha. HOPEFULLY in 2019 I think Yamaha will come out with a new chassis & a 850 4-stroke.

Back