• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Evolution Powersports Magnum Muffler, DNR Approved!!

You cannot modify your snowmobile’s exhaust in any manner that will amplify or increase the total noise emission above that emitted by the snowmobile as originally manufactured, regardless of date of manufacture. Excessive or unusually loud snowmobiles are illegal and hurt Wisconsin’s trail system.

I copied this from the DNR website. Please ask them about this?

I did and the agent told me they have to have a rule in there that says that....but this agent said if you are very excessive, they will decibel test you and if you are past the limit by a certain percent (which I don't remember what was said) they will issue a ticket. If they see that or hear a loud sled, they will do decibel testing before looking at wether the sled has stock exhaust or not to see if compliant. The agent was more targeted on loud "high pitchy" 2 sled sleds and said mine even with the EVO Magnum would not get pulled over on the trail just by sound.

This is why I am doing this test with the DNR because I want a little more hpr and a little grunt going down the trail....but not to the point where I wake the neighborhood up.

Ontario is the worst... anything modified any you get a ticket. I needed a new can for 98 mach once it rotted out. Can wasn't any louder than stock. Buddy had a loud pipe and got our group pulled over. Modified exgaust ticket later...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

excell exhaust on an apex/rx1 gets a ticket for modded exh around here as they know it is not stock. most other exhaust's do not get a look unless they are nasty loud.

a guy around here beat the exhaust mod ticked for his sled but he needed a letter from brp to take to court stating that they did not make exhaust for that sled anymore. was an old sled he used for ice fishing and they dinged him on it.

That's because Harley fights any regulation that will affect their noise level. They are organized and have very good lawyers and sound experts. These experts will help any club fight by doing legal sound tests using $100000+ equipment. When the town tried to shut our ride area down these sound experts proved we weren't making anymore noise outside our club property than the normal traffic on the road makes and this held up legally all the way to the WI State Supreme Court. I am not a Harley guy but I do have respect for them and what they did. Basically noise is objective and Decibles are facts. When I was a third shifter was a dang Mourning Dove that would sit out my window and really tick me off. Same thing. Now that said I do agree when the windows are shaking from loud pipes or the Bass Boomers at 3 in morning it's bull.

I found the case for any that dont believe me. Pretty proud of what our Club accomplished. Wish we didnt have to in first place though.
https://www.wicourts.gov/sc/opinion/DisplayDocument.pdf?content=pdf&seqNo=33264

MAGNUM NEW_.jpg

Evolution Powersports final version of the Sidewinder Magnum Muffler

Here it is everyone!!!!!

DNR came over Friday night, setup all the equipment, precisely measured and took readings at idle and at the 2,500-2,800 engagement.... Results are in and the Evolution Powersports muffler passed decibel readings both times tested!!!!!

So, now Evolution Powersports has a decibel approved, trail approved and 11 horsepower true gain muffler that is all stainless steel, is less weight, looks incredible, sounds amazing and allows you to retain the original heat shield while still allowing access to your chaincase!!!!! What is there not to love about this muffler!!!!!

For all who are wondering about the DNR and the questions asked....here it goes....

I asked can exhaust be changed?

You are allowed to modify/change your exhaust.....as long as it meets the decibel limit. The SSCC is what all manufacturers have to go by for manufacturing standards.... it does not affect the consumer who buys a sled and wants to modify/alter/change the exhaust....as long as it meets decibel requirements. This is right from the DNR agent and I have the paperwork.

I asked how they figure out who to pull over and under what circumstances?

Usually when they are sitting in their vehicle, they can hear sleds coming and if they have their radio playing at a certain loudness, they can pick out the loud ones vrs. the regular sleds. Their key focus is on the high sounding 2 strokes (the Agents words).
The 4 strokes are much quieter and really aren't pulled over unless it's very apparent that the exhaust has been tampered with.

I asked under any limitations, are there any warnings that will be given to repair/replace the exhaust if not per the decibel reading?

In most cases, the information is taken and if it is the owners sled, everything is current like license, registration, no warrants, no alcohol and just not being a douchebag, the DNR can make a choice of giving a ticket or a warning.

pictures and videos to come

1.jpg
2.jpg

Here are the specs on how the DNR does their sound decibel test. I have other pics, but can't get them to upload because they are over the limit. But, here it goes....

They take their meter, attach a calibration device to the end which reads 114.2 and then they calibrate the meter. This was repeated twice to make sure the information was accurate. The 2 readings were 87.2 and 87.5 which averages out to 87.35 and is legal. I know boostednytro has a couple videos and maybe some pictures he will upload.....

Thanks goes to @boostednytro for helping me out so much these last few weeks. Dude, you rock man!!!

I can taste the tears of boosted Doo 1200s everywhere! I can't wait to get a SW!

Dredged up a real old post here Mighty. I had a buddy with this muffler and its very loud for a 2.5" muffler. As loud as the loudest 3" straight thru mufflers IMO.

Dredged up a real old post here Mighty. I had a buddy with this muffler and its very loud for a 2.5" muffler. As loud as the loudest 3" straight thru mufflers IMO.
Yep. Been a few years since I had my 17 SW and trying to gather as much info as possible for the new SRX

Does anyone run this that can give a long term review
I still have one that I run on my 2020 SRX. I don’t have any issues with it. I drive all over WI and the UP. I was just stopped last weekend on rail grade in WI checking registration. Never said a word.

On a side note I also had evos YXZ system and I had to weld it 3 times and now it’s gone. Pile of junk.

Back