• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Getting rid of the roll over valve

I have had 2400 miles no problems what so ever, but this weekend I had my roll over valve stick shut and have oil leaking out tank now!!!! and it was -10 one night and had no start next morning, took fuel relay out blew on it in my hand for minute reinstalled fired right up. after looking into to roll over valve pulled intercooler out and had piles of white foamy oil in it prob 2 cup's . did bypass now. just a poll how many people have talked to there dealer or Yamaha on this?? think it is time everyone stars making some noise to Yamaha on this I am starting tomorrow on phone.

I have had 2400 miles no problems what so ever, but this weekend I had my roll over valve stick shut and have oil leaking out tank now!!!! and it was -10 one night and had no start next morning, took fuel relay out blew on it in my hand for minute reinstalled fired right up. after looking into to roll over valve pulled intercooler out and had piles of white foamy oil in it prob 2 cup's . did bypass now. just a poll how many people have talked to there dealer or Yamaha on this?? think it is time everyone stars making some noise to Yamaha on this I am starting tomorrow on phone.

I did bring it to my dealers attention, that it makes me nervous. I've noticed that it takes different pressure blowing on it, to hear it pop open, so I cleaned it, and put my relief slit hose in. I can pinch off the rov and the slit opens and the vapors come out. Just didnt want an open hose to the oil reservoir. The apex and vector lines go into the airbox, with a slit hose and always worked fine. Very little oil in my intake though...and I am going to remove the valve and clean it during the winter. Takes like 5 minutes. Super easy, until they come up with something else.

Well after the second oil tank gasket replacement by dealer, and new valve I bypassed it. Not sure how they(Yamaha) doesn't know about this! If you replacing oil gaskets like crazy how do you not. And I'm betting ALOT of sleds are leaking oil and just not noticed by the owners. It's more of a weep then it gets worse over time. Wait until next year in the fall when guys find oil under the right hand side of sled. It's a symptom that's seen after sled sits for extended time. Or just take a proper towel and wipe at the bottom of seal ?

Well after the second oil tank gasket replacement

we will see my dealer is contacting Yamaha , they have had a few blown seals also, finally got all oil crap out of intercooler

we will see my dealer is contacting Yamaha , they have had a few blown seals also, finally got all oil crap out of intercooler

Cascade dish washer soap and hot water will remove the oil from intercooler.

my 18 xtx did the cut out thing 1 time at beginning of season. right then and there I took a 1/2" x 6" piece of pex and heated one end and inserted a 1/2" barb and let it cool, then removed the carb. that made one end 5/8".I pulled both hoses from valve and connected the with the pex right under the valve. been that way for 2200 miles now. no leaks and no cutting out.

I can check my slit hose as it is in front of the footwell, easy, so I do before a ride. Works well, always some fumes coming out, so the slit in 5/8 heavy duty fuel line has less pressure than the roll over valve.
Until something better comes along. Still think a duckbill valve would work.

my 18 xtx did the cut out thing 1 time at beginning of season. right then and there I took a 1/2" x 6" piece of pex and heated one end and inserted a 1/2" barb and let it cool, then removed the carb. that made one end 5/8".I pulled both hoses from valve and connected the with the pex right under the valve. been that way for 2200 miles now. no leaks and no cutting out.

Any pics would be good!

My Dad is experiencing black carbon in the snow when his sled is idling. I have told him to check his air box for oil. I bet his ROV is the culprit. We will see what he finds tonight when he checks it.

How hard is it to chevk the intercooler too?

Should he just add a slit to the existing line above the ROV? Or just bypass it all together?

Attachments

• SUNP0035.JPG
    SUNP0035.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 381
My white ski gets a little soot on it, not all from idling, as I don't like to idle long. The back edge is right under the outlet.
My Apex always had soot in the exhaust cones, as do the vectors and my old rx1s. All including the sw, run perfectly. I get some oily goo in the intake but honestly don't care....it runs awesome with very good mileage. Apex and vectors all sucked in oil tank vapors too. 13 year old engines still purr. I did add a hose with a slit just in case the rov sticks. Since the slit only opens under pressure, I doubt much oil would come out if upside down. If any.

Attachments

• 2018-02-22 14.36.38.jpg
    2018-02-22 14.36.38.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 409
  • 2018-03-17 09.01.11.jpg
    2018-03-17 09.01.11.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 422
My Dad is experiencing black carbon in the snow when his sled is idling. I have told him to check his air box for oil. I bet his ROV is the culprit. We will see what he finds tonight when he checks it.

How hard is it to chevk the intercooler too?

Should he just add a slit to the existing line above the ROV? Or just bypass it all together?

My friends have sidewinders and I am floored how dirty the exhaust side of their sleds are. One has white c&a skis and they are filthy black. Nature of the beast I guess
Ms

I know they are normally dirty. But he is telling me the the snow is all black. Its much more dirty than it has been all season. That is why he is concerned. He checked for oil leaks and there were none.

He is going to open up the air box tonight and check for oil.

Would a 1/2" slit above the ROV in the factory hose suffice?

My friends have sidewinders and I am floored how dirty the exhaust side of their sleds are. One has white c&a skis and they are filthy black. Nature of the beast I guess
Ms
Yup. Like I say, hold your hand behind my old 2006 apex exhausts when it's still spitting some water vapor, and you will see lots of carbon or soot on your hand. Runs great for 12 years..lol

Back