• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mach Z not stock king of the lake.

The 900r will compete with the Winder just fine on the trail and in distances of around a 1/4 mile. I have no idea about a two mile run on a lake but honestly many of us don't run long distances on lakes. There are many ways to determine a sleds performance and long lake runs are a very small percentage of determining a sleds performance.
There may be many 900rs with issues and maybe Doo will fix them but there are also many really good running 900r's out there and I have one. I wouldn't be afraid to line up with any stock Winder where I ride because I've already done it and I really like my chances.
Hey, joe...You ever make a run to the UP, get ahold of me. Cuz, quite frankly..... I'LL leave you from the start & only look back to see if you've given up.
That's a fact...stock winder with Dalton sec. Spring as mine was sacked out.

I had such high hopes to run into one or two of them (900r) this year.
I mean they sound so fast out of the box, it's unbelievable.....
Jvji24.... you're starting to remind me of a troll on dootalk. Kinda likes to keep things cool then Wham-O! Out comes the spewage. It's too much...lol
No troll
Just race on lakes with fast sleds and don’t have my head buried in the sand.
I have to laugh is all at some comments. It’s all in good fun but to each there own. I still have a 998. I just don’t ride it.
They all are nice. If everyone thought the same I guess we would only have one brand.
I can meet you in the up for a friendly race. You want a boost, a 800 cat, 1100 cat, or a 998 cat?
Lol

No troll
Just race on lakes with fast sleds and don’t have my head buried in the sand.
I have to laugh is all at some comments. It’s all in good fun but to each there own. I still have a 998. I just don’t ride it.
They all are nice. If everyone thought the same I guess we would only have one brand.
I can meet you in the up for a friendly race. You want a boost, a 800 cat, 1100 cat, or a 998 cat?
Lol
You say a winder is slow and now you rally around them. Make up your mind. Lol
The 998t is billed as the fastest lake racer. If there is a factory sled that is faster, being built today, please share which sled your referring to. I made a simple statement....I will leave a stock 900r behind, start to finish. That's that.
Then I just explained I have a stock winder and you come out of the woodwork with this or that. Always someone faster. even then you and your buddies. You just don't seem to grasp that.
I'm sure you have fast sleds. I'm happy for you. But I'm guessing not the fastest. Which leaves you spending money ($5k-10k) to stay in front of stock guys like me, for what?!?!!
You're the guy who makes outlandish claims of big dollars in a winder only to be disappointed, is my thoughts.
Lots of babbling....you will be billed from this day forward as "he who owns the fastest sleds in the world"

Isn’t the 998 SRX the fastest production snowmobile today? Maybe he means the 998 sidewinder MTX is slow? Same motor but different chassis???

Isn’t the 998 SRX the fastest production snowmobile today? Maybe he means the 998 sidewinder MTX is slow? Same motor but different chassis???
Good point. He definitely didn't specify.

It's not easy being the king. Everyone's trying to knock these sleds down....lol.

I just wonder what happened that he or someone he knows spent $10k in mods on a winder and they aren't happy.
I'd be super happy with a $650 tune. Lol. I don't get it.

You say a winder is slow and now you rally around them. Make up your mind. Lol
The 998t is billed as the fastest lake racer. If there is a factory sled that is faster, being built today, please share which sled your referring to. I made a simple statement....I will leave a stock 900r behind, start to finish. That's that.
Then I just explained I have a stock winder and you come out of the woodwork with this or that. Always someone faster. even then you and your buddies. You just don't seem to grasp that.
I'm sure you have fast sleds. I'm happy for you. But I'm guessing not the fastest. Which leaves you spending money ($5k-10k) to stay in front of stock guys like me, for what?!?!!
You're the guy who makes outlandish claims of big dollars in a winder only to be disappointed, is my thoughts.
Lots of babbling....you will be billed from this day forward as "he who owns the fastest sleds in the world"
I have a 998. I guess I should be sorry for that because when owning one it’s the holy grail of machines! I also said I’d meet you for a friendly race next winter in the up. I didn’t say I would win either but sounds like I said something that hurt your little feelings. Lol
I did say a stock sidewinder and Tcat is slow. I stand behind that. Now you can spend 500 bucks to gain 25-75 hp give or take but there is a lot more that goes along with that too! And yes it’s just to keep ahead of “stock” guys like yourself. Lol. Why not just buy a 600
I said 4-6 grand is easy to spend on these sleds. I had STM clutches and at the time that alone was 2500 us. More now if bought today. Add the rest of the stuff and 5 k easy.
You can line up with my stock boost next winter if you like. I ride in n wi so up is right there.
It’s not an argument and no hard feelings and maybe after that you can sleep better. We can bring a mach z also because there’s a guy in our group that has one. I wouldn’t own one but he likes it so I don’t care.

I look at it like this, most people on here are trail oriented riders with mostly stock suspension. There will always be someone faster till you get to the unlimited hypersled class. Most of us are comparing apples to apples. I think jvji24 is just in a different class then us trail riders and is comparing apples to oranges. Not that I care, I need something to read in the off season.

Sorry I wrote this before I saw your reply.

I trail ride. Billet front and rear clutches are expensive. I prefer them and some don’t. It’s my opinion. I run gears that are over 500 a set but have never had a failure. Tunes, headers, turbos, ect and it all adds up!!
Everyone has their own style and what they like and I respect that. I think that’s where skidoo and Polaris destroy cat/yami. They have so many options. This takes nothing away from the 998. It has been the fastest production sled to date that also works in the trail. The 998 is a great motor. The procross is a great sled and I’ve had a lot of them.

Last edited:
My Winder runs the stock muffler jukebox stuff from TD. Have maybe $1500 in TD stuff (don't know - wife prob does). Stock clutches with just spring roller and helix changes. I would have the same amount invested in any other sled for clutching probably. Mine has been very reliable but I don't go to radar runs and I just ride I'm not racing anything serious. Easy HP adding and tinkering is one of the most fun and rewarding aspects about the 998T. The Cat DNA stuff - meh. Gotta pay to play. I dont have a tube and extra guage duct taped on my console.

About the Ace 900 Turbo R - so some sleds have wrong TPS calibration? Weird manu issue. Possible someone like XP123 is getting ~100% but the "slow" ones are not?

Pretty amazing what Cat/Yamaha pulled off with the Winder especially the 1st year. All sledders gotta be thankful now. Factory turbos, factory turbo 2S, factory 9R from Polaris. Those are all factory responses to how badass the 998T is. - I am very interested in that Polaris 9R in a 146 Assault.

Hey, joe...You ever make a run to the UP, get ahold of me. Cuz, quite frankly..... I'LL leave you from the start & only look back to see if you've given up.
That's a fact...stock winder with Dalton sec. Spring as mine was sacked out.
Joe remember I had my Winder before you did. I think you gave me some crap for buying it.
I also have the Dalton O/B secondary spring on mine. Like I posted before I like my chances since I’ve done it a few times already. Unless you are tuned it won’t be worth my time.

Back