• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mach Z not stock king of the lake.

I use a dragy today
I had a cfr1000 in 09 along with a z1 turbo. The z1 turbo was slow stock and then we finally got our boondocker and then they were not. We all hooked up with Glenn Hall on little st germain because he had all the goodies already so we got to see the potential. My Z1 ran 124 mph in 1000 ft on pump and 131 mph on race fuel back then. The cfr would run 120 mph every day of the week and my only point I was making is that that and the f7 could run big mph and they where 2 smokes. That 1000 zuke 2 stroke was a bulletproof motor and they could make over 500 hp boosted. Yes in race trim not on the trail. The Polaris motor in no way compares to that beast!
Let’s see what we have next winter
Surprise or bust?!?!?

I use a dragy today
I had a cfr1000 in 09 along with a z1 turbo. The z1 turbo was slow stock and then we finally got our boondocker and then they were not. We all hooked up with Glenn Hall on little st germain because he had all the goodies already so we got to see the potential. My Z1 ran 124 mph in 1000 ft on pump and 131 mph on race fuel back then. The cfr would run 120 mph every day of the week and my only point I was making is that that and the f7 could run big mph and they where 2 smokes. That 1000 zuke 2 stroke was a bulletproof motor and they could make over 500 hp boosted. Yes in race trim not on the trail. The Polaris motor in no way compares to that beast!
Surprise or bust?!?!?
Yes, those Cats could put up very good top speed numbers.

This thread was about how DOO bragged about being "First Across Lake" and they FAILED to back it up.
Somehow we Devolved into who's BEEFED up sled can win at the track at a specific distance cuz they don't "race" under "blankety blank" conditions unless they have SuperGoldTippedExtraDiggerHammerChisels and BLAH BLAH BLAH

Then we turned it into a POO POO thread.
OK, it's worth talking about. I applaud Polaris. NO bad comes out of this.

Here's Life:
2 boys buy a sled from a dealer like 90% do and leave it stock.
One pulls up to the other & gooses it, teasing boy #1
They both goose it then let off like a "mating ritual" on the Galapagos islands.
Then they both PIN it to see who's king.
A) the Initial Outburst/Thrust
B) the Pull to 100
C) OVER 100

I can tell you this: All things equal
The SideWinder wins C
The 2-stokes take A
The 900R takes B

I know a lot of guys don't want to believe it, but i have 5700 miles of proof.

The Turbo POO is an interesting subject for many reasons.
The NA 850 was very quick & fun.
The Turbo losses some of that snap. Not as fun anymore.
My buds' NA 850 had trouble with gas so he had to turn it on "ETHANOL MODE" losing some power.
I assume the Turbo will be even MORE FINICKY.
For $22,000, i hope they don't disappoint.
I paid $13,150 for my R so there was NO way it could disappoint.

I think the biggest subject is "When will Polaris Turbo the 4-Stroke" or "What 4-Stroke will Polaris Turbo"
Let's face REALITY: A Turbo 2-Stroke may be fast & may be cool, but us 4-Stroke guys WON'T go back to a 2-Stroke!!!!!!
I don’t know about A I agree with B because I experienced it and don’t know about C because the fastest I have been was 108 on GPS for a shorter distance. I never lined up with an 850 and never went flat out top speed for a long distance against a Winder but I believe you. Most guys here laughed at me when I said my 900 was a rocket from zero to 100 and that's probably because they all ride 270 plus hp Winders. I'm really happy with the performance of my 900r and it's just right for a corner to corner trail sled.
I do sympathize with guys reporting they can barley get 100 out of a 900r on a long run. Mine hits 100 as fast or faster than any sled I have ever owned before including my Winder. After 100 I don't really car and even if I never go faster than I did in my 1/4 mile run (approximate) 108 gps I will be satisfied. I should also mention it was 40 degrees that day and the snow wasn't the best for top speed runs.

I have yet to witness a stock sled shootout or race with the new skidoo, and given that Steve and XP ride them, they are bound to be slightly bias.
I think it will be extremely close next year between the boost and srx. The boost may take shorter distance honors, but srx should drive around it.

That’s fair to guess
I think the top end will surprise you on the boost but time will tell????
I have some friends that say the same thing as xp on the 900r. They also own 998s.
They’re all good. Just depends on your preference.

I use a dragy today
Surprise or bust?!?!?
My bud has a Z1 built by D&D. Its a race sled not trail. With the turbo on it now, it has 500hp. He had an F7, that won and beat most 1000's in 660. When Glen was with D&D, Glen built this sled. It was mapped and geared only for 660. Again a race sled, not a trail sled. Stupid fast. My point is that I second guess you at times, as IMO, based on your comments, you seem to provide more results based on race sleds and NOT trail sleds. My Buddy had an F1000 with full D&D porting head, pipe, ypipe, reeds and tuned by Jason Price... Bullet proof and trailable. It was tuned to run the trail, but no way he could run 122 in 1320 on trail hard packed. He could run 122 if he held it for 2500 feet. He had a 1" track.

Trail rode it. Was stock and like I said you can believe what you want. F1000 was a tank compared to cfr.
I do my own work.
We broke the 140 mark in 1000 ft first on a z1 in 10, Glenn rode it. I trail rode that sled 1500 miles that year. That had 28/71 turbo on it though so not stock. Had head studs too. Lol
I haven’t spent enough time on a stock 998 to really diagnose what can be gained with clutching since they seemed pretty decent. I didn’t like the compression spring on the cats and I ran torsional on those. After the 1100s as soon as the 998 was here it was tuned. It’s too easy and why not! My brother has a bone stock 18 Tcat though and that’s the one we picked on with the xcrs. They had time spent on clutching whereas his is stock besides torsional conversion. Runs 8800
850 clutching isn’t great from factory.
How much of a gain have you guys actually seen over stock clutching on 998 stock?

A well set up sled will get surprising speeds on ice
Old Yamahas pushing over 700 hp (FPP turbos), were doing in excess of 160 mph in 1000’ on ice, many years back!
That was crazy to see and hear, locally, back then. Now it’s 190’s mph in 1000’ on ice in Wisconsin huh? CRAZY Chit going on! Would really like to see that !

My point is, put those same sleds on shitty snow conditions, and sleds with much less hp, but set up better for those conditions will prevail in some distances. And that is what makes our sport so interesting when we line up on the trails from week to week.

Some are exceptional in their week to week set ups, while others just ride them!

I agree. This is why a clutch kit doesn’t work and a tuner make make a sled work. Conditions change and so does everything else.
I can run an aggressive clutch setup for hard pack that is very fast and then go out to loose snow and spin and over shift and have a turd.
I wish there was a good for all condition but there isn’t
A four stroke is a lot more forgiving than a two smoke also !

Last edited:
Yes, those Cats could put up very good top speed numbers.
that was the CFR chassis too.
I've seen mention that when cat went to the procross chassis MPH was lost. Not sure if there was any reason for this but f800 2011's were faster than 2012 f800's

It took big hp to go fast with the procross, but I could be wrong.

Back