• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder motor fixed...Sled blacklisted...your opinions needed

3 SW with similar tunes all blew up. Mine didn't actually 'blow' like no mechanical parts broke except the defective head.

I'm leaning towards stock flash and see if it holds together. I suppose I need to worry about driveshaft bearings and other crap now letting loose, I have been focused on the motor haven't even looked at my own list I wrote in the stickies.

So 3 sleds with Precision tunes all blew up???

I would keep it and finally enjoy it. You've kinda been shafted so far and I see no reason to get shafted in the back door again by giving it away on trade. If you are confident that other sleds with same tune have had issue I would switch to another tuner. I understand your original problems werent caused by the tune but why chance a failure, if something happened you could be 2022 or 2023 before you get it back with your luck.

You are still modding the Apex right? Buy a bigger Trailer or throw one in back of truck but keep the Winder as is or better stock and use it as a spare sled adding things when you feel like it. It is always a comforting feeling having a spare sled along. No matter what happens a guy can always just ride the base camp area while buddies keep riding on at worst. My bet is it will end up being used by your riding buddies after their sleds break down MUCH more than you. After a few years sell it to one of them or you will be able to have confidence in selling it to a stranger. You will grow attached to either the Apex or the Winder and know which to concentrate on. Sad this happened to you. Is what it is though. Its just a machine and no company is perfect. Upmost importance is that you are happy but sometimes that happiness changes only with time. The Winder might grow on you.

No the dealer said MY SLED + $10,980 to get a 2021 SW. Essentially giving me less then 4K for mine after I paid $12k
I thought they were given you $10,000 outright! No way would I take that deal.

Just give it the beans and ride the dang thing. As long as the dealer put the engine back together properly its not going to be a problem. Once you ride it and feel confident, the Apex will be a distant memory.

It doesn't need head studs at just 280HP.

Last edited:
I have blown up way too many 2 strokes to mention, so I kind of understand what you’ve been through, but Kinger, in following your posts, and most recently your Sidewinder build and burn posts, I was expecting your new beast to surpass your old beautiful beast, but when it comes to Winders, if you did not have bad luck, you would have no luck at all!
No advice from me, just a hope it turns around for you quick, because you have lost too much riding and enjoyment times!

OK, here's where i SHINE!
I had this EXACT problem except with a Woman.

I broke up with a girl a few years ago that was AWSOME except she pushed marriage months in.
I reignited the flame this year until she started to push again.

She's GONE!
I may be lonely on Sunday nights, but Monday through Saturday are AWSOME!

MORAL of STORY:
Sometimes you NEED to just start over. Let GO
You'll always be wondering "Will she Blow?"
Take my advice, STOCK, RIDE, SELL!!!!!!!!

P.S: "Will she Blow" was a motor reference NOT a sexist comment to my ex-girlfriend
P.S2: The answer is YES. Why do you think i went back?

Back