• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder motor fixed...Sled blacklisted...your opinions needed

SERIOUSLY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll just never trust it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont know. Mine made me walk twice same season and all it took was to have a walk free season and the love is back. Trust it enough to ride alone even. But wont ever go without a backup sled again if I can afford it. So steve could you handle a Hottie if you had a backup?

PEFI and Hurricane have had motors let go.... I have yet to hear about one TD motor coming apart. Not a TD fanboy, just stating what I've observed over the last 4 seasons on the 998.

Either get rid of it or let er rip tator chip some go some blow that's the chance you take when you start modding your ride. It doesn't do any good staring at it wondering what to do. I doubt that the tune has anything to do with it 100,'s of them out there that have been tuned with no problems. I will be putting a season on mine before I have it tuned, then you know where you stand if something goes wrong.

Just ride it and enjoy the sled this year.
Once you get a season with it on the trails you will keep it and start building it your way just like a lot of us did.
Most sidewinders have a love hate relationship.
We all hate the extra baggage that comes with them but we love riding them!
The clutches require maintenance on them weekly. Cleaning, checking rollers and belt condition.
Have fun!

Just run it, you have warranty, and the new sled would be no better. Get a hurricane or TD tune and call it a day. You dont need headstuds with the stock turbo.

Steve you are consistent. LOL

Once i lose confidence....................i'm GONE!

I had a very expensive Italian shotgun that would jam every time causing loss of waterfowl in my freezer. The gun manufacturer took it back when i told them i'd piss on the Vatican if they didn't.
They said they "cleaned it" so it was all set. I knew it was a lie. Although it never jammed again, i couldn't hit the back side of a barn even if i was INSIDE the barn.
Point is; I LOST CONFIDENCE which played mind games with me.

My first Apex had a lot of issues...............so i sold it! Second one was GREAT!
My first Winder had a lot of issues...........so i sold it! Hoping second one Is GREAT!

Don't forget, when your sled breaks down, EVERYONE you're riding with pays for it one way or the other.
Think of your friends. DUMP IT!

Thanks guys, my attitude has changed and I'm moving from 'let yamaha handle/maint this pig' to me. I'm going to focus on heat reduction and run a 250 flash. ECU is already at Ulmers. Going to add the BOP IC guard to keep IC exposed (I had this purchased 2 years ago) and adding a radiator, or heat exchanger to help cooling. Also added some mo fo vents to get the heat out of the engine, not the 8 pc kit just a couple subtle ones in the front belly pan and knee area (air in/out). Also doing ROV delete since all my intake is new and oil free. If something happens again I will eat crow but I think this will make the sled reliable. Next year I will look at bearings, DS, and chaincase stuff since its such low miles.

Thanks for all the input!

If you can't trust the yamaha engine then just give up driving anything with a motor..it will be interesting to see if and when the electric sled being prototyped will come to market..I hope never!!!

If you can't trust the yamaha engine then just give up driving anything with a motor..it will be interesting to see if and when the electric sled being prototyped will come to market..I hope never!!!

I would be okay with an electric sled but it has to maintain the power to weight ratio that we have today on our sidewinders and be able to do 300 mile days. That technology doesn't exist yet and probably will never exist. Double so to operate well in the cold.

I would love the instant torque, no clutches etc that come with an electric drive-train though.

Back