• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder motor fixed...Sled blacklisted...your opinions needed

Precision EFI 280. I don't think it was the tune because it started with a bad (defective) head then quit again because of poor workmanship so I still don't think I can blame the tune. More coincidental.

Precision EFI 280. I don't think it was the tune because it started with a bad (defective) head then quit again because of poor workmanship so I still don't think I can blame the tune. More coincidental.

Well if thats the case, drive the #*$&@ out of it.. and dont look back.

This story is always a reminder of what COULD happen when modding sleds. You took the chance to play with the motor and LOST. Even though 95-99% of the time, most would never have issues, with these flashes. IMO, I am surprised Yamaha even warrantied it!! I am not blaming you, because I have modded many sleds. Most have worked out, some have not. If it was me, I would leave it stock and ride it for the year, trying to put alot of miles on it (1500+) to ensure there is nothing wrong with it. Sell next season.. The biggest question, I would like to know is what does Ulmer think happened?

If its the tunes, then their is one supplier, that has not done enough testing. It sounds like the head lifted, from an over boost, (cause by boost leak) but I am no expert!!!

One think is for sure, is that tune would be gone!!

Easy to say but incorrect. It started with a defective head that has impacted more then just my sled. Lots of tuned winders with no issues. 2nd time was wrong install of ARP studs. So theoretically its 100% correct now and it would run forever even flashed.

I would remove the flash, you can easily sell that for more then 4g, there are a lot of wrenches that would love to take it off your hands..

I'll offer $5k :)

Easy to say but incorrect. It started with a defective head that has impacted more then just my sled. Lots of tuned winders with no issues. 2nd time was wrong install of ARP studs. So theoretically its 100% correct now and it would run forever even flashed.

Since the sled has had a lot of work completed, it should be gone through thoroughly

I say flash it and ride!!!!
You had bad luck but these sleds run reliable when tuned!!
Or go to a different dealer to trade no need to mention the past issues . Just trade and walk away.

Dealers are gonna offer him $5-6.5 k on trade , way to much of los$ in my opinion. Just ride it .

I totally agree with this!!!!! If it was "fixed" by an authorized Yamaha dealer than that dealer network should have no problem with taking it in trade. If they don't want it because of the tune than that's another story. Did you offer the sled in trade totally stock? would it be any different?
I would run it stock for a bit to make sure it is right then mod it.

Man, I have never heard of a vehicle being "blackballed" after warranty work. That is what the warranty is for.....B.S!!!!!!!

No mention of tune ever. They just saw it looks like a lemon they didn't want to deal with...

So is it definitive then that Yamaha will not spend anymore to repair a sled then the original purchase price? It blows me away if that's true (just had an engine replaced in my Viper). It's one thing to state that in the fine print to maybe prevent abuse from dealers but to actually follow through with it as an absolute policy is crazy. Basically punching their customers in the face because THEIR sled had too many defects.

I brought this up in another forum that was discussing buying a Poo dealer demo that had a replacement engine. I mentioned that they should be aware that although they have warranty it might be greatly reduced because of the engine replacement. It was like I had three heads. NO one had every heard of such a thing. Lots of 850 Poo's that blew up when they were first released and never heard of anyone have problems trading in because of diminished warranty $.

I would ride it for a bit this year to make sure it's reliable and then sell it privately. This is the year to get top dollar on the private market because of Covid. Start fresh. Too many bad experiences attached to that sled.

I think the best thing to do is steal the apex from your dad and mod the heck out of that sled. And bring this one back to stock tune and let him ride it for the year then sell next year.

Tear it down, build it up yourself & run the snot out of it.
You'll take a beating on selling or trading & still end up with a stock sled...

Back