• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

upper gear bushing

I run 1.5 turns out. 280HP, 21/38, lots of long studs, Amsoil synthetic chain case oil, 2700 miles. No discernable wear on bushing in top sprocket. Looks like new.

Instead of a 1/2 ~3/4 turn out I ran the full 1.5 turns out on the adjuster.
I believe the same thing. I think the added tension puts unnecessary side load on the bushing.
My conclusion is run you chain fairly loose and you shouldn’t have problems with bushing wear
Fairly loose or at spec.
This may be a case where WE are the problem here not Cat DNA. We are the ones who deemed the 1.5 turns out to be "wrong" and needed the chain to be tighter...
I put my old gear in to finish out the season and ran it looser than the previous time. Chain case whine is less also. When I tear the sled down next fall it will be running the chain to spec

Lol

Attachments

• 1553429980305293677479.jpg
    1553429980305293677479.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 228
Ok listen. The reason I and others went a little less is because the chain hits the post opposite the tensioner. Least I ever ran was 1 full turn back from finger tight. Look in the Viper forum. There are pics of a few with the post completely wore down right to the case mount screw. Why? Because the spec is very broad and each person doing it is actually going to a different spec. Here is a challenge to those who say 1 turn out is too tight. Measure it. The gap between bolt and tensioner. Cover off. If we can all agree on a spec there I will make up some gauges and sell them for cost. This will eliminate any guessing because of finger strength. I still say whether 1/2 or 1 1/2 out it does not matter the bushing will wear.

Mine with 1 turn out for approx 2000 miles, then tighter at 3/4 turn out for another 2100 miles now, gear bushing with NO HOLES, still in great shape. lol .

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to these.

Im thinking of gearing up for next season after riding a stock Cat RR which works really well corner to corner in tight trails, so that Cat gearing really has me liking that. Or something close, like 24/48 maybe?

Dan

Mine with 1 turn out for approx 2000 miles, then tighter at 3/4 turn out for another 2100 miles now, gear bushing with NO HOLES, still in great shape. lol .

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to these.

Im thinking of gearing up for next season after riding a stock Cat RR which works really well corner to corner in tight trails, so that Cat gearing really has me liking that. Or something close, like 24/48 maybe?

Dan
Right! I should have said 1/2 or 1 1/2 out the bushing will wear for SOME. Me being one of the some.
Dan I am not believing its just gearing making those new Cats feel so good response wise. Its the clutching. Belt 1/4in above secondary and tight is huge difference. The clutches might not last anywhere near as long as our Yamaha clutches but dang they work well as long as they last!

Right! I should have said 1/2 or 1 1/2 out the bushing will wear for SOME. Me being one of the some.
Dan I am not believing its just gearing making those new Cats feel so good response wise. Its the clutching. Belt 1/4in above secondary and tight is huge difference. The clutches might not last anywhere near as long as our Yamaha clutches but dang they work well as long as they last!
I hear ya and also considered this....I agree the TEAM setup with auto-deflection(tight belt) is slick. But I assume that once rolling down the trail, both YAM and TEAM belts will be past engagement and into the shift, therefore that aspect should be equal....which leaves the gearing difference only. All I know is that STOCK Cat works well(not even broke in yet) where my Winder never felt that snappy before tune.

Dan

I hear ya and also considered this....I agree the TEAM setup with auto-deflection(tight belt) is slick. But I assume that once rolling down the trail, both YAM and TEAM belts will be past engagement and into the shift, therefore that aspect should be equal....which leaves the gearing difference only. All I know is that STOCK Cat works well(not even broke in yet) where my Winder never felt that snappy before tune.

Dan
Yea I am talking totally on and off throttle response. That belt on cats goes way past top fast at least on stand. Just assuming its same on trail when hard on brake and off throttle then back into it. Would be neat to see with a video camera the difference if any while actually riding.

Yea I am talking totally on and off throttle response. That belt on cats goes way past top fast at least on stand. Just assuming its same on trail when hard on brake and off throttle then back into it. Would be neat to see with a video camera the difference if any while actually riding.
The Cat really works well, I was impressed since it was bone stock HP and not even broke in with only 200ish miles on odo.

Cannondale27,
Hard for me to agree w your statement about Cat clutches wearing out faster than stock Cat clutches.
We have 3 2017 TCats w 280HP tunes, lots of studs, etc, w around 4000 miles on each. All w stock Team clutches. Running 82 gms. 21/38 gearing. We just looked at all the clutches and they're all like new, literally. No worn weight bushings, no worn rollers, spiders still tight, no worn rollers or helixes in seconaries. Literally like new. And no, we don't baby them either. We run them like everyone else runs boosted turbos. So, at least for me, the Team clutches are outstanding!

Cannondale27,
Hard for me to agree w your statement about Cat clutches wearing out faster than stock Cat clutches.
We have 3 2017 TCats w 280HP tunes, lots of studs, etc, w around 4000 miles on each. All w stock Team clutches. Running 82 gms. 21/38 gearing. We just looked at all the clutches and they're all like new, literally. No worn weight bushings, no worn rollers, spiders still tight, no worn rollers or helixes in seconaries. Literally like new. And no, we don't baby them either. We run them like everyone else runs boosted turbos. So, at least for me, the Team clutches are outstanding!
I said MIGHT. I dont know how long the Teams last. Just the previous ones like I have. 4700mi and it was shot. If they all last as well as yours then thats awesome cause they sure work well!

Cannondale27,
Correction: The opening statement obviously should have stated I was disagreeing Cat clutches wearing out faster than Yamaha clutches.

Because the spec is very broad and each person doing it is actually going to a different spec
There lies the problem...….
I may change gears/same ratio next year to run a bigger gear set and make the chain take a broader turn, avoiding the post that it hits inside the case.
If I can find one???

Last edited:
There lies the problem...….
I may change gears/same ratio next year to run a bigger gear set and make the chain take a broader turn, avoiding the post that it hits inside the case.
If I can find one???
I like the 22 top for just this reason! I dropped a new chain and 22 top at 6 k and it was tight getting in on. Took any adjustment out. Lots of threads on the adjuster bolt that’s for sure.

Back