• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vent Fan?

MartyV

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper LTX SE
Had an idea while adjusting my headlight. Alot of heat coming from the dash vent area has anyone modded a fan to suck air out of the engine compartment? Maybe like a computer style fan mounted under the plastic vent? Don't know if it would help any since they sell a goggle holder that blocks it off. Just seeing if anyone's done it or thought about it.

Reversed the fan wires on our red Viper to blow the air out instead of sucking steam in. Barn Of Parts is working on a hot air evacuation setup.

Yesterday was over 40 degF spent whole day doing 100mph+ pulls and riding on rivers. Very little snow on some stretches for miles. Just hard ice. With the reversed fan I never came close to overheating. Ran at 160F whenever I looked. I like the reverse fan. Doesnt help steam from powder unless fan is running so at high speed low load when engine is cool it wont help but soon as you stop fan kicks in and gets that steam out. Great idea. Heck on cold days all my buddies huddle around my radiator to warm there hands or unthaw a shield. Nice warm clean air to do it. Even better than the hot stinky exhaust coming out back of the Phazer,Nytro and other Yamahas! Great idea Stingray!

I do suggest using this tool or one like it for reversing the fan. You use the tube that has the biggest dia. Autozone or any auto store.
DSC00685.JPG

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on the fan mod please.
Reverse the wires to make fan run in opposite direction?

Had an idea while adjusting my headlight. Alot of heat coming from the dash vent area has anyone modded a fan to suck air out of the engine compartment? Maybe like a computer style fan mounted under the plastic vent? Don't know if it would help any since they sell a goggle holder that blocks it off. Just seeing if anyone's done it or thought about it.
Something like this? This one is meant to be installed on the clutch side of an Arctic cat but I would imagine you could install it anywhere to suit your needs
https://www.mtntkperformance.com/blow-hole/2014-15-arctic-cat-pro-climb-blow-hole

Did the reverse fan have any effect on the intake temp?

Yesterday was over 40 degF spent whole day doing 100mph+ pulls and riding on rivers. Very little snow on some stretches for miles. Just hard ice. With the reversed fan I never came close to overheating. Ran at 160F whenever I looked. I like the reverse fan. Doesnt help steam from powder unless fan is running so at high speed low load when engine is cool it wont help but soon as you stop fan kicks in and gets that steam out. Great idea. Heck on cold days all my buddies huddle around my radiator to warm there hands or unthaw a shield. Nice warm clean air to do it. Even better than the hot stinky exhaust coming out back of the Phazer,Nytro and other Yamahas! Great idea Stingray!

I do suggest using this tool or one like it for reversing the fan. You use the tube that has the biggest dia. Autozone or any auto store.
View attachment 106994

That will work well, but I took a small screwdriver and gouged out the very small spline in the connector so I could turn it 180 degrees and plug back in.....just in case I wanted to reverse the process on the mountain. But, as it has worked flawlessly for me I cannot imagine putting it back.

We will soon be offering a plug and play pigtail to revers the fan for those that don't want to tamper with with wiring

That will work well, but I took a small screwdriver and gouged out the very small spline in the connector so I could turn it 180 degrees and plug back in.....just in case I wanted to reverse the process on the mountain. But, as it has worked flawlessly for me I cannot imagine putting it back.
That is great thinking. If I understand you just created a groove so can be installed either direction. Mark

I did the fan reverse just as you described above this evening. Started it up and let the fan cut in man there is a lot of hot air coming out of there.

Back