• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will the Sidewinder ever have competition?

Yes, you are reading correct.... 16 (sixteen) mph, videoed by go-pro, run with the TD gauge and timers

I am genuinely not trying to cause any grief, I just wanted to clarify the "16" as in my mind it just simply does not make sense to gain 16mph in 660ft if the stock sled was in good running order and reasonably dialed-in. I've ridden a bunch of 850's and nothing has ever given me the indication that there was THAT much left on the table...because 16mph in such a short distance is like 20 all you can eat buffets worth of food left behind. All my buddies have 850's, great sled, love em...it's just not computing with me right now.

Can't wait to see the footage!

" left room for the R series " that correct because they can't compete head to head , just like when the srx 700 was around, everyone else stopped making 700s and went to 800s , the 1000cc limit plays right into Yamaha favour with all the racing development on race bikes

It's one of the biggest reasons the 1049 was not used in the YXZ and the 998 was released. It's within the spec, and they could also get it in Textron's hands for the same reason. Otherwise, the 1049 was a great option.

U could of "sold" 6mph maybe but 16 lol. I tried the Thunder stuff on the winder last winter and sold that stuff shortly after. Weights are way to aggressive for the broad power band on a winder and that secondary spring belongs on the back of my KTM. Decent stuff if you stay under 100mph for short bursts i guess.

It's one of the biggest reasons the 1049 was not used in the YXZ and the 998 was released. It's within the spec, and they could also get it in Textron's hands for the same reason. Otherwise, the 1049 was a great option.
The 1049cc was only used because that was the max cc size ISR rules for 4strokes in snowcross. Yamaha wasn't trying to gain a power advantage like skidoo was with the 1200 sled .

lol- lil 900 turbo...it’s only a 100cc’s smaller...actually 98 cc’s smaller.

Just lil on power I guess for a turbo..a 155 HP Turbo is a little anemic imo.

I would be willing to bet the statement was made in reference to the actual size of the turbo. If you saw it you would laugh. It works. But it is tiny

I would be willing to bet the statement was made in reference to the actual size of the turbo. If you saw it you would laugh. It works. But it is tiny

Ok that would make sense...lol.

I am by far no expert but I have testing and tuning clutching for 20 plus years. And to gain 16 mph in a mere 660 ft with just a clutch kit nothing else in my
opinion is not possible unless there something totally wrong with the stock setup. Just my opinion.

Yes, you are reading correct.... 16 (sixteen) mph, videoed by go-pro, run with the TD gauge and timers

Very impressive. If I had an 850 I would surely try that claim out!
Almost unbelievable but as I have found many times thru the years with sleds, snow and the different conditions that it throws at you, have a way of diminishing some of those mods, whether they be traction, clutching etc.
But when the fast conditions show themselves again(Back in).
I would realize that but would surely buy that also.

With that being said, what do you expect on snow (usual packed trail with 2-3” of snow on it) for added mph at 660’?

Hope you are manufacturing many of those!!!

Most of us ride snow, not busting balls just talking common sense!

I believe in thunder products just hope my Doo friend with a 850 doesnt find out about this kit. My "stock" apex will not stand a chance. I do remember Terry working on others sleds in parking lot when he could have been riding but he did something with a older srx clutch to get him down the trail.

Last edited:
The 1049 was reduced to 998 for 2 reasons. 1) To avoid a tariff of 15% on engines imported into the US that are oved 1000cc and 2) Some insurance rates are less for engines under 999cc

The 1049 was reduced to 998 for 2 reasons. 1) To avoid a tariff of 15% on engines imported into the US that are oved 1000cc and 2) Some insurance rates are less for engines under 999cc
Reason #1,2,3,20.... It's a shared platform engine and side by sides can't have engines bigger than 1000 cc' s.

Back