• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Driveshaft Saver....Bearing Lock

I was just gonna say- the guys getting new drive shafts , warrantied or not, if you don’t lock that bearing to the shaft you are gonna be right back to the same place in another 2-4,ooo km.

Ms

I was just gonna say- the guys getting new drive shafts , warrantied or not, if you don’t lock that bearing to the shaft you are gonna be right back to the same place in another 2-4,ooo km.

Ms
I agree and my new shaft has been given the BOP treatment.

This is a travesty that the Oem can’t come clean and admit there is a problem and offer a fix. Thank god people like Travis and the others here have all shared possible solutions.
Lots of good minds at work here. Go ty
Ms

Same with the LE center shock wear. They warranty them but with same dam thing. Its scary actually. Hopefully they will be there the second time it happens with all these issues but even if they bail all of us will keep them going. Always say Built by Factory and Rebuilt by Team TY!

I agree with above that most people are just riding this setup since 2012 with no idea there any type of issues. And honestly I think it shows how much of a none issue, the issue is lol. Now with that being said I plan to buy the BOP kit when I do a track swap after this coming season.

Curious why this issue isn't discussed in any Cat forums ? Same components .... maybe the Cats assembled with Loctite.......... or not as prevalent of an issue with the Cats ???
I have a 19 cat and it's no different then yamaha!!! Mine did spin on shaft but I caught it early enough and add bearing retainer

Just swapped drivers on a 2012 with 7000 miles , original shaft is still fine. I never use green loctite but that would defiantly solve the problem but be a SOB to get back apart. Find dimpling the shaft to work very good yet still able to remove without cursing and swearing excessively.

I agree with above that most people are just riding this setup since 2012 with no idea there any type of issues. And honestly I think it shows how much of a none issue, the issue is lol. Now with that being said I plan to buy the BOP kit when I do a track swap after this coming season.

It's a NON-ISSUE until you take a week off and ride your buddies back up 600 Indy for 4 days.
When my sled had it's under tunnel hose leak & my buds' top gear go bad, we went to the Yamaha dealer & there were 2 Cats & a Yamacat in the shop for bad bearings on the drive shaft.
All 5 of us were on week long vacations waiting for our sleds to be fixed.
I looked at a dozen or so ProCross chassis on the trails & ALL of them had rust under the brake with 3 of them making serious grinding noises.

I'm not sure how 8 downed sleds in ONE week measure up to a "Non-issue"

BTW: I now have BOP tunnel protectors and a Shaft-McWedgy Thingy

My thoughts exactly. They're built in the same plant, right? ProCross chassis is a ProCross chassis.
Subject has never even come up on ArcticChat. Many sleds well over 10,000 miles and all is good.
I have a feeling the spinning drive shaft is more isolated than this forum portrays.
However, I did get this kit for added piece of mind. My drive shafts are fine.
One at 4500 miles, the other 2200 miles.
I may just install the kit, torque to 35tlbs, which seems to be the sweet spot, and ride. We'll see.
Final inspection coming up this weekend.
In our group 3 of us spring ordered 18 Turbo's. One was a Thundercat and the other 2 were winders. So far both winders had the top gear bushing fail but the thundercat just had the drive shaft replaced. Everything is the same on these sleds and the wear is no different no matter who's sticker is placed on it.

There it is boys. Right from the Buckeye Fisherman's mouth.
Cat has the same problems.
I firmly believe the cat guys are just used to the problems & low mileage life.
The Cat dealer down the street from me says most guys trade up every year & the rest the next year. That's why he's selling a 100 a year now.

We at TY are used to HIGH mileage & have done all the fixins' to get that with help from our mad scientist Travis & all the GURUS

Just installed one today Travis.....Fantastic design brother!

My buds Cat will now be solid reliable this season!

Also did the tack weld mod and a few other fixes he needed.

-Oil change
-k&n oil filter
-Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
-Rivnut mod to lower side panel
-Chain lube
-Oil tank
-Roller tensioner tack weld
-Shaft Saver device
-Nickel Anti-Seize
-SS muffler bolts and lockwashers

Dan
IMG_5823.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5793.jpg

IMG_5801.jpg

IMG_5797.jpg

Last edited:
Just installed one today Travis.....Fantastic design brother!

My buds Cat will now be solid reliable this season!

Also did the tack weld mod and a few other fixes he needed.

-Oil change
-k&n oil filter
-Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
-Rivnut mod to lower side panel
-Chain lube
-Oil tank
-Roller tensioner tack weld
-Shaft Saver device
-Nickel Anti-Seize
-SS muffler bolts and lockwashers

Dan
View attachment 149936

View attachment 149937

View attachment 149940

View attachment 149938

View attachment 149939

You’re a good bud!!

Dan just misses us
He works on his buds' sled so he can keep posting here
I give him a year............then we'll have 600 more posts, 87 hours of videos & at least 9047 pics...................and that will be just how to change the belt!
LMAO! Good post OCD.

I ended up at 55 pounds plus a touch more
Don't forget i have 10,000 miles & this is my 4th bearing
Next year i think i will change the whole shaft

Does anyone know if Hurricanes' drive shaft has a tighter bearing tolerance?

Back