• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Driveshaft Saver....Bearing Lock

Installed yesterday on a used shaft that was in good shape. Installed all the way in as well and had to go to 50lb. to get it to where it was hard to get off by hand. Rotor is loose. ;)!

Was at my dealer on Friday to pick something up, they have a bin full of old drive shafts. They are replacing them like hot cakes. Others that aren’t under warranty they are loctiting them back on with red loctite.

sound like an epidemic to me....
Ms

Was at my dealer on Friday to pick something up, they have a bin full of old drive shafts. They are replacing them like hot cakes. Others that aren’t under warranty they are loctiting them back on with red loctite.

Ms
Was at my Cat dealer yesterday. He told me track shafts are back-ordered 4 weeks. He told me his contact at Cat said there are at least 700 on back order now. Yikes!

Ms
Been shopping around for a sidewinder, I mentioned this problem to a few of the bigger dealers and shocking to hear they never heard of this problem lol..

Last edited:
Finally got around to installing mine today. Cleaned the inside of the shaft, tightened the driveshaft saver so it was biting, tapped it in flush and brought it up to 43 ft lbs. Disc had play - all looked good.

Sled is all together so I have to guess this torque is enough to expand the shaft. Had it apart this summer so I had a sense of how much play existed.

Here is the question - how many have run the sled on a stand and watched the caliper assembly or disc. I noticed caliper assembly moves slightly with the rotation of the shaft. You cant feel it when you place your hand on the side of the tunnel and it doesn't transfer to the handlebars, but it looks like the bearing is not true on the shaft. Has anyone else experienced this?
MS

Finally got around to installing mine today. Cleaned the inside of the shaft, tightened the driveshaft saver so it was biting, tapped it in flush and brought it up to 43 ft lbs. Disc had play - all looked good.

Sled is all together so I have to guess this torque is enough to expand the shaft. Had it apart this summer so I had a sense of how much play existed.

Here is the question - how many have run the sled on a stand and watched the caliper assembly or disc. I noticed caliper assembly moves slightly with the rotation of the shaft. You cant feel it when you place your hand on the side of the tunnel and it doesn't transfer to the handlebars, but it looks like the bearing is not true on the shaft. Has anyone else experienced this?
MS
That’s what Travis found and is reason he didn’t want disc locked solid.

MS
Didn't notice anything like that on the 3 I put in. Any chance your track shaft isn't straight?

Was at my Cat dealer yesterday. He told me track shafts are back-ordered 4 weeks. He told me his contact at Cat said there are at least 700 on back order now. Yikes!

BDX/SSI makes complete shaft assemblies that are lighter for $279. Might be an option for some instead of waiting until spring for a Yamaha one..

BDX/SSI makes complete shaft assemblies that are lighter for $279. Might be an option for some instead of waiting until spring for a Yamaha one..

Didn't a member install one of these shafts and have it break on the first ride?

Does anyone have any experience with the Driveshaft Hurricane has?
Does it have a closer bearing tolerance?

Back