• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Driveshaft Saver....Bearing Lock

Some say mechanical noises/clicking noise apparently coming from chain case when sled is run on a stand. The shaft is vibrating around inside the bearing and it reverberates down the shaft (it's hollow!) and can be heard seemingly coming from chain case. Upon inspection, shaft has been spinning inside bearing. Both shaft and bearing are toast. I've heard up to .025+" clearance! Others, loosen track all the way up and grab track shaft to see if it moves in bearing. Others, take off brake caliper just to see what it looks like. Easy to tell.

Some say mechanical noises/clicking noise apparently coming from chain case when sled is run on a stand. The shaft is vibrating around inside the bearing and it reverberates down the shaft (it's hollow!) and can be heard seemingly coming from chain case. Upon inspection, shaft has been spinning inside bearing. Both shaft and bearing are toast. I've heard up to .025+" clearance! Others, loosen track all the way up and grab track shaft to see if it moves in bearing. Others, take off brake caliper just to see what it looks like. Easy to tell.
This noise could also be the stud heads hitting plastic drivers. I restuded a new track this year and changed up the pattern slightly and I was freaking out from this noise. But for sure the hollow shaft could mess with a guys head on noise

I’m guessing a track change?
Yes track change. This is my spare sled and I didnt worry about the spun bearing. Knew it was bad 2 years ago. Well between buddies sleds braking down and daughter riding it next thing I knew I had over 3500mi on it since last service. Only about 5-600 from me! Lotta work this sport. Thought I was getting in shape from riding but this really kicked my butt!

Did you discover this while inspecting for preventative maintenance? Or was there a tell tale, like vibration or sound, that inspired you to check?
No noise at all. This sled also uses introvert drivers and is actually very vibration free other than at idle. Shakes the skis and bars and stinks badly!

Well, in that case, I kinda hope AC goes tits up. It would serve them right. To be sticking it in the A$$ of the consumer for almost 10 years on a BS failed design.

And Yamaha..... SHAME on you for laying in bed with this stinking pile of $hit, and ignoring it like it's gonna clean itself up.
I would have put it more nicely since I feel even with the issues this sled is better than what we had in many other areas. But I definitely felt the same way when fighting the disc!

I put a metal plug in the end of the driveshaft and bolted a steering wheel puller to the brake disc to get mine off. Only works if your sled has the disc with the holes in it.

I put a metal plug in the end of the driveshaft and bolted a steering wheel puller to the brake disc to get mine off. Only works if your sled has the disc with the holes in it.
I was afraid if I did that and puller failed I would have had to cut disc off. Seen it happen.

I was afraid if I did that and puller failed I would have had to cut disc off. Seen it happen.
What causes the disc to not want to come off? I have pulled mine off several times to grease the bearing and it has always slid right off without a problem.

What causes the disc to not want to come off? I have pulled mine off several times to grease the bearing and it has always slid right off without a problem.
When the bearing inner race spins on the shaft its also spinning on the hub of brake disc. This makes a burr on back that wont slide over the splines easily.

For those that cant get a shaft that is usable with the Wedge only alternative is welding to get proper fit with bearing. Here is the same shaft as above with the welding fix. This is how they should be from factory. A proper slip fit. .005 in. clearance. I will still use the wedge set just so it cant be moved by hand.

Nice! Will be interested to see what torque that one lands at.

They would say "First we have heard of this, strange"!
That tune has to change now since the drive shafts are back ordered, they must of clued in by now!

Back