• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Driveshaft Saver....Bearing Lock

This 3m adhesive tape was actually just brought up the other day, between myself and my metal dept. Apparently, ambulance back cap units are being assembled with this stuff. I’m not familiar with it....but when it comes up in conversation multiple times.....something is up.

I believe it’s NOT simple foil tape. Apparently, it’s a solidified metal adhesive. That said, I have not looked into it. It was brought up at my shop as a solution to hang an inner ceiling skin for my trailer. I’m doubtful if it can withstand the driveshaft torque though.

Q. Arrius

This 3m adhesive tape was actually just brought up the other day, between myself and my metal dept. Apparently, ambulance back cap units are being assembled with this stuff. I’m not familiar with it....but when it comes up in conversation multiple times.....something is up.

I believe it’s NOT simple foil tape. Apparently, it’s a solidified metal adhesive. That said, I have not looked into it. It was brought up at my shop as a solution to hang an inner ceiling skin for my trailer. I’m doubtful if it can withstand the driveshaft torque though.

Q. Arrius
Yeah, that's my thought on this product. We're talking about thousandths of on inch to create a snug fit. This stuff does not move like duct tape. When layered on top of each other, it creates a durable shim, especially when clamped down between the race and shaft with the BOP wedgie.

Last edited:
Aluminum tape will compress.
If your in that far why not just have it welded up and tuned down by a machine shop.

I think myself and Stohlem should have said: 3M adhesive tape FOR metal.

It has nothing to do with foil tape. That’s as close to the actual product as Reynolds Wrap and Elmer’s Glue.

Certain adhesives can be solidified and rolled up. This flattened glue can be unrolled and sandwiched between sheets of metal or in this case, two round items. I’m guessing it bites into metal and hardens.

Same concept as really thick green Locktight. Instead of a liquid, it’s simply a soft puddy in strips.

Q. Arrius

I think myself and Stohlem should have said: 3M adhesive tape FOR metal.

It has nothing to do with foil tape. That’s as close to the actual product as Reynolds Wrap and Elmer’s Glue.

Certain adhesives can be solidified and rolled up. This flattened glue can be unrolled and sandwiched between sheets of metal or in this case, two round items. I’m guessing it bites into metal and hardens.

Same concept as really thick green Locktight. Instead of a liquid, it’s simply a soft puddy in strips.

Q. Arrius
Thank you, You understand what I'm saying. This is not a fix for a bad worn shaft, but used for a mildly worn shaft that can be shimmed by feel with bearing in hand prior to reassembly. Bottom line, get it through the season without further wear.

Can you install the wedge in a new sled without remove the caliper? Or disc and slide it in well greased and torque it to 35lbs?

Yes. Very simple to do. There is a guard protecting the rotor that you need to get off and you need to take shield off where your foot rides for wrench clearance. Whole process takes maybe half hour.

Are any of the aftermarket driveshaft machined different to accept a bearing with a lock on them?

No. The issue is there is only one bearing that fits the caliper and the shaft and it doesn’t come with a lock collar

You COULD use a bearing with a lock collar but then you couldn't use the inner seal. I personally have not seen a collar lock bearing that has a cylindrical OD to go into the caliper housing. Most collar-lock bearings have a spherical OD and that won't work in caliper housing.

Too bad the whole thing isn't redesigned with a lock nut on the drive shaft, that tightens up against the bearings inner race of the pinching it to the snap ring. Of course the disc would have to be redesigned, but it would be a start in the right direction
MS

Too bad the whole thing isn't redesigned with a lock nut on the drive shaft, that tightens up against the bearings inner race of the pinching it to the snap ring. Of course the disc would have to be redesigned, but it would be a start in the right direction
MS
Mountain sleds have that on aluminum shaft.

I wish they'd use something like this...
sealmaster_bearings_er_209tmc.jpg

Back