• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Early dyno reports (850R)

They are not the best engine builder in the world. They build good engines, but there are plenty that can be ranked better.
Just look to road racing. It can easily be argued that they have been the lowest in HP for years and years in MotoGP and WSBK.
This year, they called in someone from Ferrari to assist with engine development.
I also remember when BMW introduced the 1000 sport bike. In their first swing, they topped all the Japanese manufacturers in HP by over 20 with 200.
There are many very formidable engine manufacturers globally.
in real world reliability and power, I don’t know who is better. My viper makes 420+hp on a stock block, crank, pistons, head. Both my svho waverunners with a tune and impeller have never lost anything on the water so far. Sidewinder engines will outlast the sled running 270+hp. Sure there are better niche engine builders, but I’m taking about mass produced, low cost oem engines.

I'm not understanding why the most powerful snowmobile manufacturers (skidoo & Polaris) can't Perform the simple task of building a 4sTurbo motor to completely dominate the 7 year old 998 turbo?
Because of the common motor that goes into sxs and the 1000cc displacement that falls on them. Turbos count as cc but it's changing with desert sxs getting bigger motors plus forced induction.

Wonder when Doo will bring over their 999 turbo.

in real world reliability and power, I don’t know who is better. My viper makes 420+hp on a stock block, crank, pistons, head. Both my svho waverunners with a tune and impeller have never lost anything on the water so far. Sidewinder engines will outlast the sled running 270+hp. Sure there are better niche engine builders, but I’m taking about mass produced, low cost oem engines.
I'm not saying they build bad engines.
Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, BMW, Ducati, Rotax and KTM are not niche engine builders.
BTW, has anyone seen the new Mercedes AMG 2.0 L turbo engine.

There are lots of motors in the 200HP per liter class so the 998 is in good company. It all comes down to cost per additional HP when you start to dial up the wick and as anyone who has competed can tell you, the ability to reliably create power is priceless. It will be interesting to see if the doo can achieve any semblance of reliability because 'it broke' isn't acceptable when we have so few days to enjoy the sport.

Because of the common motor that goes into sxs and the 1000cc displacement that falls on them. Turbos count as cc but it's changing with desert sxs getting bigger motors plus forced induction.

Wonder when Doo will bring over their 999 turbo.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see it as early as next year.
240 stock....lookout.

240 stock....lookout.

If only they could build a decent front end, make it handle like the Cat and give it power steering.....

240 stock....lookout.
B4 the 998t, what did the performance market look like? 800 this and 800 that. I suspect things will quite down a bit. It seems the PM side of things are like a ride on a roller coaster. Been like that since inception . Polaris & skidoo did a fantastic job (due to Yamaha 998, no doubt) bringing the 850r, 900r, & boost to market.
Now it's time for them to get some ROA!

B4 the 998t, what did the performance market look like? 800 this and 800 that. I suspect things will quite down a bit. It seems the PM side of things are like a ride on a roller coaster. Been like that since inception . Polaris & skidoo did a fantastic job (due to Yamaha 998, no doubt) bringing the 850r, 900r, & boost to market.
Now it's time for them to get some ROA!

You forgot obviously about the old 900 and 1000 Thundercat triples. No doubt the best years ever for two-strokes when they had the triples.

IMO two-stroke twins over 600-700 are just vibrating self destructing junk that will sell destruct over time, but people keep buying the them.

You forgot obviously about the old 900 and 1000 Thundercat triples. No doubt the best years ever for two-strokes when they had the triples.

IMO two-stroke twins over 600-700 are just vibrating self destructing junk that will sell destruct over time, but people keep buying the them.
100% Fact

Lol....no I havent. Just another high on this roller coaster ride. New boost, New 900r, new 850r & New cat 858. Its closing time, with exception to updates! The only possibility is Cat & a low output twin.

So....it makes me wonder?!?! We've all analyzed, speculated, and came to the conclusion that the 850 by skidoo generally runs in the 110 to 112 mph GPS.
So what's the speculation on this new 850r??
I'm supposing an honest 6 mph gain would put this beast in the solid 116mph range. Speedo's going to say 130, but we know how that goes.

I think it will be a high output twin.
Maybe.....my thinking is a low output & future turbo setup. Done correctly (meaning a stout bottom end, etc) not much would have to change.
Timing, mapping, etc.
We'll soon see. Idk?!?!

So....it makes me wonder?!?! We've all analyzed, speculated, and came to the conclusion that the 850 by skidoo generally runs in the 110 to 112 mph GPS.
So what's the speculation on this new 850r??
I'm supposing an honest 6 mph gain would put this beast in the solid 116mph range. Speedo's going to say 130, but we know how that goes.
I honestly don’t think the 850’s break 110. My ole lady on her 850 vr1 is 107-108 on gauge all day long. Sidewinders on average are 115-118 stock on gauge/gps. Some minor work and that skyrockets for us. I’d say if this thing his 112-115 range it’s a win for them. $20k in tuning a race fuel sure it will compete with our sleds we’re taking on 2-300mile days.

Back