• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ice Scratchers

The RT-Pros were designed by people in Canada. They work extremely well. On off with just a clip and the only down side is the mount on the ski which everyone asks what the hell is that for and I always have to explain. Once you show people they always say," What a cool design!" Also work in reverse and you can change the amount of pressure to apply to the snow!

Turboflash, you ever notice any of the issues that fatchance mentioned? What are your thoughts on the Trail Blizzer model with the mounting bracket that prevents the scratcher from rotating? https://www.qualipieces.com/en-US/tb03-400/trail-blizzer-ice-scartchers

Also, what are yours and fatchance's thoughts on the Trail Blizzer model that mounts on the front suspension arm? https://www.qualipieces.com/en-US/tb03-500/trail-blizzer All seem like decent options, but I'm sure the devil is in the details for what works and doesn't.
I personally haven't had that problem. Depends on what conditions are where we ride. I'm lucky in that I haven't had to ride with them down where there is gravel. My reason for putting them down is usually trail is ice and not enough loose snow for cooling. If I see engine temps over 175 I put one down and within 1/4 mile temps cool off to actually below stat temp. Crazy how good they work for me.
Looks like the Qualipieces one is similar in construction. One question I would have with mounting them on A-arms or spindles is does the flying stuff ever hit YOU, aka in the legs or torso, etc? One good point of mounting my Duraflex ones on the skid where I did is the snow/chips sprays inside and outside the skid. Covers the whole back of the sled. Putting the stuff inside the skid really lubricates the slides well.

I really like these BRP ones. They mount right up to where the bolts are for your skid. What I like most is you can just reach down to lower them or hang them back up without ever getting off your sled. Makes it easy for a quick stop and go if you need to use them or want to hang them back up. I've been running them the last two seasons and love them. Plus, no dings in the rails which is nice. All my Doo friends run them on theirs. I saw on some forum how easy they are to mount on the Viper/Sidewinder chassis, so I thought I would give them a try. Work awesome...plus you can go in reverse.

View attachment 154377
Putz 21 - doesn't allot of the snow go behind the sled with those mounted so far rearward?

Putz 21 - doesn't allot of the snow go behind the sled with those mounted so far rearward?

I thought the same, but they work great. It's a matter of simply reaching back and dropping them down once I see my temp rise and within 20 seconds I see the coolant temp drop back to normal. What I like about them is the spring tension as they apply great pressure on the ice/snow.

There were numerous times this past year where they saved my #*$&@. Some of the fire roads/trails in northern WI were plowed after some of the warmer temps we had in late February, there was very little ice cover. We had to zig zag on the fire road to try and find some form of ice otherwise it was bare. It was a few mile stretch on this fire road to get to the cabins we were staying at and no other option. My coolant temp would shoot to 200 very fast and then I'd quickly stop and drop them and take off and quickly saw the temps come down even with very little ice cover. I usually only have them down when absolutely necessary, but on our last trip of the season I had to use them quite a bit.

I thought the same, but they work great. It's a matter of simply reaching back and dropping them down once I see my temp rise and within 20 seconds I see the coolant temp drop back to normal. What I like about them is the spring tension as they apply great pressure on the ice/snow.

There were numerous times this past year where they saved my #*$&@. Some of the fire roads/trails in northern WI were plowed after some of the warmer temps we had in late February, there was very little ice cover. We had to zig zag on the fire road to try and find some form of ice otherwise it was bare. It was a few mile stretch on this fire road to get to the cabins we were staying at and no other option. My coolant temp would shoot to 200 very fast and then I'd quickly stop and drop them and take off and quickly saw the temps come down even with very little ice cover. I usually only have them down when absolutely necessary, but on our last trip of the season I had to use them quite a bit.

I mounted the BRP ones as well on my Winder. When I first bought them a couple of years ago for my wife's Renegade, I thought they seemed too far back. I was surprised as they do a wonderful job of filling the skid and cooling which is why I decided on that route on my winder as well. As puts21 mentions, they drop temps very quickly when needed. Given that I put a 1.75 track on, I was surprised how little I needed them vs the 1.6 Cobra on my Viper when I seemingly could not ride without them. I also like the fact that they have replaceable tips. A few tips:

I made a small extension for the 'holders' on each side out of aluminum to clear my tunnel flares, otherwise they would not work together.
I had trouble finding the right metric bolt. The Arctic Cat Secondary bolt works perfectly.

On my '17 Viper, I used the rail mounted ones. They worked well but you could not reverse with them down (not that I have ever really needed to do that). I took a piece of sheathing off of some electric cable I had lying around and ziptied that to the rails where the scratchers would hang in the 'stowed' position to protect them.

Can get pics of either setup if someone wants.

I mounted the BRP ones as well on my Winder. When I first bought them a couple of years ago for my wife's Renegade, I thought they seemed too far back. I was surprised as they do a wonderful job of filling the skid and cooling which is why I decided on that route on my winder as well. As puts21 mentions, they drop temps very quickly when needed. Given that I put a 1.75 track on, I was surprised how little I needed them vs the 1.6 Cobra on my Viper when I seemingly could not ride without them. I also like the fact that they have replaceable tips. A few tips:

I made a small extension for the 'holders' on each side out of aluminum to clear my tunnel flares, otherwise they would not work together.
I had trouble finding the right metric bolt. The Arctic Cat Secondary bolt works perfectly.

On my '17 Viper, I used the rail mounted ones. They worked well but you could not reverse with them down (not that I have ever really needed to do that). I took a piece of sheathing off of some electric cable I had lying around and ziptied that to the rails where the scratchers would hang in the 'stowed' position to protect them.

Can get pics of either setup if someone wants.

The bolt I used was Cat Part#: 8413-090 SCREW,CAP-HFH M10X1.25X90 CL10.9

I felt this was a perfect length as when it was fully torqued, it would stick out the back of the axle by 1/8" or so.

Way too much overthinking here.... One dura-flex mounted far forward on the right or left side of the rail is all you need... A loose zip tie loop is all you need to stow it. No need to drill yet another hole in your rail...
I agree not overthinking it. I have cables on the rail, but what was way more effective was taking a torch and bending the end of the flap in. the 137 and up should easily have a longer flap. have yet to find one.

I really like these BRP ones. They mount right up to where the bolts are for your skid. What I like most is you can just reach down to lower them or hang them back up without ever getting off your sled. Makes it easy for a quick stop and go if you need to use them or want to hang them back up. I've been running them the last two seasons and love them. Plus, no dings in the rails which is nice. All my Doo friends run them on theirs. I saw on some forum how easy they are to mount on the Viper/Sidewinder chassis, so I thought I would give them a try. Work awesome...plus you can go in reverse.

View attachment 154377
Do you happen to have the part number for these?
Thanks!

I think that part number is without replaceable tips. This is the one in your pics I think # 860201430

cq5dam.web.2644.2644_7440ff8a-73c3-4937-bb98-4c5ca972ee66_2000x.jpg

I'm wondering if they could be bolted with the unused lower suspension hole instead?

Last edited:
I think that part number is without replaceable tips. This is the one in your pics I think # 860201430

cq5dam.web.2644.2644_7440ff8a-73c3-4937-bb98-4c5ca972ee66_2000x.jpg

I'm wondering if they could they be bolted with the unused lower suspension hole instead?

The part# I posted came with the replaceable tips. Yes, can mount them in either hole.

Note: I took mine off as they started to egg out my holes. I think others may have had different results, so I went with the BRP ones that mount on the rails. I actually used them a lot this past season and they worked great.

Strange they did that to you. You would think it would happen to BRPs too if that the case.

I had my skid out in the fall and my holes seemed as they should be after a season of use. I torque mine down pretty well and use blue locktite on them. Sled is away for the season but when I take the skid out again before next winter for a once over, I will post if my results have changed.

Back