• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mach Z not stock king of the lake.

You think 22 psi is out of the question? Size up turbo and make around 300 hp in race trim. These will be pushed to the limit. Power to weight is not a comparison between 998 and boost. These are facts. I’ve had 850s and zero issues. 19s had bearing issue and they resolved that unlike textron likes to do with anything.
998 can also have a bigger turbo added and you can push that to 500 hp.
It’s sad to see cat take second now because they have been on top or near since the early 90s for king of the lake.
The simple fact of the matter is…. good to see Polaris back in the hunt for top dog. It took 30 years! Plus they haven’t marketed it as king of the lake.
Skidoo missed the boat and it looks like poo has the real deal here.
Mach z should have stock weights thrown away and go to standard 900t weight. Fix the boost issue like Jaime did or if flash works that way. Don’t worry about stutter which is worthless unless you have chisels and gear the sled up! Then they also run good then.

22psi is possible of course (anything is), but there are some significant problems to overcome. Its still a crankcase pressurized system right? Where is that air pressure going to go when both the intake and exhaust are open at the same time? I actually have no idea how its managed today, are there examples of high boost 2-strokes out there, I couldn't find any so this seems like a reasonable question. Intuitively it seems that there is a big difference between adding a small amount of boost - say 3-4psi and adding 22psi at sea level with a 2-stroke. The current P-Boost is designed to be adaptive meaning it creates more boost in response to less air density (higher altitude). It is effectively making up for a loss in air density only, it doesn't get more powerful, it just maintains power. This means that from a 'flow' perspective the engine is running at the same pumping efficiencies across a broad range of altitudes.

Where is the heat going to go? Not only do you need an intercooler (easy) but you need a way to get heat out of the block which is not going to be as easy. 4-strokes have a huge advantage in this area as the engine by definition/design, has a lot of excess mass. All of that mass equals more area for distribution of coolant and more metal to soak the heat into. Adding that much energy into a 2-stroke is going to create some pretty significant heat problems. You can't simply run higher pressures for coolant as that will work against you. Will be interested in getting your thoughts on this.

How will detonation be managed. With a pressurized combustible mix being forced into the hot exhaust pipe (not just scavenged by exhaust pulses), there is going to be an unavoidable detonation problem. You will likely need some kind of thermal management or additional air injection or something to disrupt the stoichiometry in the hot pipe.

Those are just a few of the issues to be solved and we should probably start a new thread on this. Will be very interesting to see what limits the tuners run into and how they overcome them and if you have given any thought to how these problems will be addressed.

I found a link that answered some of my questions around boost containment. This means the remaining issues of heat are the prevalent issue to deal with.

Lol...."Mach Z not king of the lake" thread.
I'm slightly enjoying this....as it turns into i, "I can build this or I can build that" thread.
In a land of fairy tales, cows can jump over the moon. And Pinocchio's nose grows when he lies. I can't take much more...haha.
Seems as thou certain members are trying their best to bring to light, an abomination that is going to cost him more dollars than he will ever conceive. For some satisfaction of "king of the lake"
Basically overlooking the very fact that many trail worthy 998t are capable of going 150mph+ (turbo dynamics, for starters)
I'm pretty sure a few members on here, that are in the know, aren't paying much attention.
There is a forum where the heavy hitters & super elite go to. Like outlaw snowmobiles, etc. But yet we find comfort in this group and on this thread. Hahaha....says a lot.

You think 22 psi is out of the question? Size up turbo and make around 300 hp in race trim. These will be pushed to the limit. Power to weight is not a comparison between 998 and boost. These are facts. I’ve had 850s and zero issues. 19s had bearing issue and they resolved that unlike textron likes to do with anything.
998 can also have a bigger turbo added and you can push that to 500 hp.
It’s sad to see cat take second now because they have been on top or near since the early 90s for king of the lake.
The simple fact of the matter is…. good to see Polaris back in the hunt for top dog. It took 30 years! Plus they haven’t marketed it as king of the lake.
Skidoo missed the boat and it looks like poo has the real deal here.
Mach z should have stock weights thrown away and go to standard 900t weight. Fix the boost issue like Jaime did or if flash works that way. Don’t worry about stutter which is worthless unless you have chisels and gear the sled up! Then they also run good then.
I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Let see how they shake out. I doubt the Boost will run 300HP. I know an SRX can run 330 without a opening the engine on 93. I can also say this... Equal traction, the tq of a 4 stroke will easily beat the extra 100 lbs of weight savings. Was that video with a 129" sidewinder in soft snow? The lower compression heads will hurt the Polaris out of the hole... Most that have tested it say it's not near as responsive as a NA 850. According to Supertrax, boost does not increase until 70mph. Race is over by then and there is no way that motor will last. Great marketing for Polaris and it lured alot of people in... But I agree, this should be it's own thread.

Last edited:
I have to say that TD and hurricane both probably benefit from this sled being out. Better buy your tunes. I know one of you can’t decide 240 or 270 because it’s such a dilemma. Lol
You may talk about how bad your STOCK 998 is but facts are facts. Sorry about putting this info in your thread.
Have a nice summer and get your tunes before next winter

I have to say that TD and hurricane both probably benefit from this sled being out. Better buy your tunes. I know one of you can’t decide 240 or 270 because it’s such a dilemma. Lol
You may talk about how bad your STOCK 998 is but facts are facts. Sorry about putting this info in your thread.
Wow, you are all ego buddy!
Blow it up, build it up, Who Cares!

Thanks for the compliment. Coming from you I appreciate it
I have an ecu and gap flasher if you’re looking?
Actually considering selling a roller zr9000 ltd
Have a motor here too

Video proof
Looks like the new stock king out of the box is the boost. No surprise with the weight difference.
I can’t wait to see it with some more cc s and 22 psi
You might not SEE what happens at 22psi, but you might HEAR it.....KABOOM

I'm not going to give this video any validity, but seeing the dash shot of the winder speedo it took 10 seconds to go from 60 to 100. RPM stayed around 8750-8800. I've never timed my Tcat, but it seems like it hits 100 a lot faster than that.

Not trying to sound like yourself. But while you're picking what color to get for your new sled & how much boost to run.
I'm considering training to pilot a catamaran thru the Caribbean for a very long vacation.
Guys gotta settle with a 240 tune....I know it blows.

Have fun & run it hard.

What year is that winder?
Looks like 2018

Capture.JPG

Since this thread is about what a POS the Mach is I talked to a dealer and was told the biggest issue with the 900r is the tps setting. He said the ones he has checked are only showing mid 80's and a few were even lower. They will be doing the updates to anyone who asks for it.

Since this thread is about what a POS the Mach is I talked to a dealer and was told the biggest issue with the 900r is the tps setting. He said the ones he has checked are only showing mid 80's and a few were even lower. They will be doing the updates to anyone who asks for it.

This thread is not about what a POS the Mach 1 is, I never saw it that way. Its about the over-reaching statement made by BRP that its the 'king of the lake'. If they had just stuck to its real strengths as a trail sled the thread would have been 3 pages, not 39. The Mach is a great sled, it will be reliable, it has a very interesting suspension, it rides well despite not quite coming together as a handling package, but its not 'king of the lake'. I already regret continuing the discussion. Can we move on now.

Back