• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mach Z not stock king of the lake.

Your math must be diffrent than mine, boost added 10 percent to base of 165? So add 16.5 =181.5?? All 998's stk have dyno'd 202 plus, i guess kinda in ball park.....not!! Lol all in good fun!
Whether or not you believe Bikeman dyno, stock 998 made 202 and boost made 195

Popcorn-408x408.jpg

On initial pulls there is no doubt in my mind the Polaris 850 Turbo will be the stock champ...but where is the inter cooler? After everything heats up the Polaris ECU will be in full engine protection mode and the Polaris riders will be wondering why their sled is a dog.

I don’t think it matters at 3 psi. I will work on this myself because I plan on 20 plus psi but we will see. Im guessing under 10 doesn’t really need one.
It’s going to be fun just like see isn’t believing here with most

That video is from Speedwerx and the comments are turned off. Looks like some good advertising for Polaris but I wouldn’t be surprised with those guys the Boost is boosted on that one.

Hahaha
Excuses. This is hilarious to read. Keep them coming!
I don’t think they need to advertise a sold out sled. Maybe though?
Maybe the argument now should be can the boost run with my boosted sidewinder and to make it fair both would have to be on race fuel. So can a boosted boost run with a 320 hp sidewinder??? Can’t wait to find out.
998 on big pump gas tune will be faster….Maybe

Hahaha
Excuses. This is hilarious to read. Keep them coming!
I don’t think they need to advertise a sold out sled. Maybe though?
Maybe the argument now should be can the boost run with my boosted sidewinder and to make it fair both would have to be on race fuel. So can a boosted boost run with a 320 hp sidewinder??? Can’t wait to find out.
998 on big pump gas tune will be faster….Maybe
Nope.

Wonder if that winder was using a ripsaw1 track.

Also that procc rear suspension really transfered the weight like a Doo as those skis were airborne most of the time.

No question they will be fast but for how long before the motor breaks especially if your going to tune it around here 300 hp pump gas sleds have 20-35000 miles on them and still run like a clock. I considered getting one till I seen the price they cost more than the SRX I'll pass and watch I have buddys who orderd them so I will see first hand how they work and how long they last.

I was taking this thread seriously until I saw the ‘wait until I tune to 22 psi’ comments. Polaris quality control and consistency is possibly worse than what we get on yamacats. My personal admittedly small sample size their 850 engine is unreliable for any sort of high miles. Tow strap definitely required for multi thousand km saddle bag tours at 80 mph. A YouTube video of a fast trail ride in sloppy conditions proves less than nothing, if Winder has POS ripsaw two on it they can hardly get out of their own way in sloppy conditions, Polaris 100 percent would have a way better track for those conditions. I feel sorry for young guys that will buy those Polaris turbos used out of warranty. Watching riding buds try to figure a way around $7500 cdn long block doo engines is bad enough, lots of insurance fraud going on I can assure you. The new big gun on the block will make next winter interesting nonetheless.

They still make 2 stroke engines? Aren't those the ones you have to add oil to every time you go riding? They smoke and smell and you actually have to change spark plugs every now and then right.
I used to own them back in the old days when I carried gallons of oil with me on long saddlebag trips and I prayed the engines wouldn't blow up too far from my truck.
I can't believe they still make those unreliable smokers.

You have to give Polaris credit for their willingness to push the envelope and bring technology to the fore front. Just think, in 2003 Yamaha decided 2-strokes were dead. We're now at 2022 and the 2-strokes are still alive and strong. The VR1 with boost will be a GREAT trail sled. 190 or whatever horsepower stock, if you want just a little more, it will be available (210ish), the thing is 100 lbs lighter than the equivalent Sidewinder or Thundercat. We need all 4 brands to stay relevant, but unfortunately Yamaha & Arctic Cat continue to fall behind. There is no push from Yamaha, they just continue to downsize, the bean counters tell them snowmobiles are not making any money. Soon they will likely only be an engine supplier instead of a snowmobile manufacturer (which for 2023 there is no Japanese models left, so I guess they truly aren't a manufacturer any longer).

You have to give Polaris credit for their willingness to push the envelope and bring technology to the fore front. Just think, in 2003 Yamaha decided 2-strokes were dead. We're now at 2022 and the 2-strokes are still alive and strong. The VR1 with boost will be a GREAT trail sled. 190 or whatever horsepower stock, if you want just a little more, it will be available (210ish), the thing is 100 lbs lighter than the equivalent Sidewinder or Thundercat. We need all 4 brands to stay relevant, but unfortunately Yamaha & Arctic Cat continue to fall behind. There is no push from Yamaha, they just continue to downsize, the bean counters tell them snowmobiles are not making any money. Soon they will likely only be an engine supplier instead of a snowmobile manufacturer (which for 2023 there is no Japanese models left, so I guess they truly aren't a manufacturer any longer).
Exactly. 16 years plus Yamaha could have realized their error in judgement in the 2S/4S debate/marketplace. No to mention chassis development and wasting patents. I've ridden 2S more than 4S the past 2 season. I love my Winder but I aint married to her. Maybe Yamaha will blow everyone away with an electric package but I doubt it without going into the climate/electric vehicle fallacy debate.

Not sure how this Boost v Sidewinder video helps the Mach Z pilots

The truth may very well be that the market isn't as lucrative anymore. Even with projected market growth we are a long ways away from the golden sales era of snowmobiles while regulatory and climate issues aren't helping. Next year will tell, my guess is that Yamaha is happy to let Cat take the risk, I just hope some Yamaha engineering creeps in to help Cat on the design side.

I was taking this thread seriously until I saw the ‘wait until I tune to 22 psi’ comments. Polaris quality control and consistency is possibly worse than what we get on yamacats. My personal admittedly small sample size their 850 engine is unreliable for any sort of high miles. Tow strap definitely required for multi thousand km saddle bag tours at 80 mph. A YouTube video of a fast trail ride in sloppy conditions proves less than nothing, if Winder has POS ripsaw two on it they can hardly get out of their own way in sloppy conditions, Polaris 100 percent would have a way better track for those conditions. I feel sorry for young guys that will buy those Polaris turbos used out of warranty. Watching riding buds try to figure a way around $7500 cdn long block doo engines is bad enough, lots of insurance fraud going on I can assure you. The new big gun on the block will make next winter interesting nonetheless.
You think 22 psi is out of the question? Size up turbo and make around 300 hp in race trim. These will be pushed to the limit. Power to weight is not a comparison between 998 and boost. These are facts. I’ve had 850s and zero issues. 19s had bearing issue and they resolved that unlike textron likes to do with anything.
998 can also have a bigger turbo added and you can push that to 500 hp.
It’s sad to see cat take second now because they have been on top or near since the early 90s for king of the lake.
The simple fact of the matter is…. good to see Polaris back in the hunt for top dog. It took 30 years! Plus they haven’t marketed it as king of the lake.
Skidoo missed the boat and it looks like poo has the real deal here.
Mach z should have stock weights thrown away and go to standard 900t weight. Fix the boost issue like Jaime did or if flash works that way. Don’t worry about stutter which is worthless unless you have chisels and gear the sled up! Then they also run good then.

Back