• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mach Z not stock king of the lake.

It's a shame that Doo had to bill this sled as king of the lake. It has given a fantastic trail sled a lot of negative attention.

If the aftermarket guys break into the ECU every other 900r sled is going have all the mach Z features for cheap.

Mine runs really good and I don’t know if I want a dealer touching it. I probably would be fine with them checking the TPS and I already adjusted the throttle cable but I don’t think I want the clutch messed with.
Mine pulls great right out of the hole and I like the way it performs throughout the whole rpm range. The drive spring they want to put in will only keep it from upshifting just to increase rpm. My sled has no problem pulling rpm with the spring that’s in it.
I may just leave it alone unless they are willing to just check the TPS setting and nothing else.

It's just my opinion....
In the real world the Mach Z is simply a well put together, long distance cruiser. No oil to fuss about. Cool dash set-up , great suspension, etc. It's got everything one would need to enjoy a day out on the trails.
When we compare power output, suspension, handling, etc. It's kinda like micromanaging. All those show up as each sled is pushed to it's limits. Or more than likely the riders limits.
Hell....I found out the hard way, last month, what it's like to run with 2 smokes in the very tight Twisties in northern, Wis. During very fast paced riding. Didn't go as planned....lol anyway....

In stock form, can the 900cc turbo run with a 998 turbo. The short answer is, absolutely. Could be for 600', 1,000' or maybe 2,000'. Idk....
I absolutely raped a 900t out on the lake. I was hoping it was an "R" I'm sure the rider hasn't been them same since, as we all took turns beating up on him. Poor guy Lol....
Then we get to the question of modified.....we can debate this for years. "My sled is tune only" "your sled has a bigger turbo" blah, blah, blah.

The answer to this is simply. The guy with the most money in his sled wins.
Not always true! I’ve beaten a lot of deep pocket guys through the years with my cheap pockets! lol I like to say this, “ Every dog has its day!” I’ve won and have been beaten.

The thread on DT is a s-show. Most are posting that the fix is BS, many are saying that they won't get the fix. Funnnnny. First they demand a fix and then they don't like that it isn't something exotic. The Prevost post on FB was the most interesting. $4-6k of parts later....

"Well we did some testing this winter with the hurricane ecu, mid pipe and clutch setup for the doo 900R. As you all know we test what we sell and deliver real results. When we first installed this setup it was a struggle to get the sled to perform. I spent lots of time on the phone with Dave @ hurricane, updating the tune and tonnes of time field testing. Found a loose throttle cable, some poor connections on the charge side of the turbo a bunch of little Issues. Towards the of the season the sled finally started coming around. The customer went on a few big trips one being in Quebec putting on 1400 km’s without issues. We probably have approximately 2500 km’s on the ecu. So having said that one of the issues we had was the stm clutch weights that came in the kit, they worked ok but we now have a way better set of weights that we use. ( ran out of winter to really complete the clutch setup) We also geared the sled taller. The latest tune Dave sent me definitely worked the best. One of the bonus things with this setup for the 900r models that aren’t Mach z’s is you get launch mode. This sled will never be king of the lake however with the setup we have in it now it’s night and day different mannered and it’s a blast to ride in the trails. The response, the way it accelerates and stretches your arms corner to corner makes it a blast to ride. My feedback from the customer is very good now he’s pleased with the performance and he can pull away from a stocker at ease. He lined up with a 270 tuned sidewinder and was able to stay with him till approx 105 mph. The sled will put 3/4 lengths on a stock 900r in a drag race very quickly aswell. On ice it will run between 118-122 mph in 1320 ft depending on the conditions and traction. The biggest issue we are seeing with these sleds with the ecu is that the intake temperatures climb way too high and then ecu will then pull 5 degrees of ignition timing to keep the engine safe. The oem ecu does the same thing hence the inconsistent performance. We will be installing a better intercooler and maybe even meth injection for next season. We are also developing a cold air that’s completely different than a traditional style for this sled that should also help a lot. Overall now that it’s sorted out it’s a pretty good trail package that I would be confident in selling more of."
You can say this and argue it but I haven’t owned a 998 without 4-6 k more in parts on it. Start with garbage clutches and that takes care of stand alone ecu. And the parts go on and on.
I say at least skidoo is trying and good for them to continue. Competition is a good thing and maybe they surprise us all next year.
Is it a 300 hp 998? Nope

You can say this and argue it but I haven’t owned a 998 without 4-6 k more in parts on it. Start with garbage clutches and that takes care of stand alone ecu. And the parts go on and on.
I say at least skidoo is trying and good for them to continue. Competition is a good thing and maybe they surprise us all next year.
Is it a 300 hp 998? Nope
Am I correct in assuming you are referring to an AC 998 , and their clutches ?
Not sure what you mean about "that takes care of stand alone ecu " ?
Every brand is trying , but they all have different paths to the goal , and different goals .

OK, time for me to chime in. I have MORE to say later.
I will start with I still LOVE the SideWinder!!!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE understand this!
I put 5700 miles on my 900R this year.
Not ONE issue and i run hard. I spent ALL my time riding & not wrenching.
My 3000 mile belt pulled 120 on speedo. It took 3000 miles before motor would pull 78-8000 rpm's
I think the biggest problem is how DOO advertised this sled.

"King of Lake".....................................................................NOT!!
"Great Trail Sled to Ride All Day"...............................more like it!
"Out Accelerate Everything including Lite 2-Strokes"............yes!

NOTHING STOCK could out accelerate me. Hoping to get the videos out soon.
And that is what trails are. Accelerating.
YES a good running STOCK Winder can reel me in with a perfect situation..............Lake or Rail Bed.............only happened twice BTW out of 5700 miles.
I still LOVE the SideWinder so i will not bash it. To ME they are very even give or take a few issues on both.
I rode with 5 Winders & they NOW have respect. All the 850 boys are still shocked cuz they believed the INTRANET BS

I applaud DOO for at least making an attempt for a fix. I believe my throttle is fine, but many should be fixed by this. I spoke to dealer who was doing this fix months ago & it helped 2 of the 4 he adjusted. 1 had loose hoses. The last one may be dud.
Did they go 120 mph? NO.......but they were better.
YamahaCat takes forever for fixes IF they even address them!!!!! This is undisputable even for die hards.

5 small issues on my R:
1. 1 of the 6 LED's on tail lite went out
2. A plastic tab that holds hood from sliding back broke off. I don't think i had it on properly, but still kinda cheap
3. My 11,000 mile LinQ gas can bracket is loose
4. Oil in my hoses so Catch Can is next
5. I still think it needs a BOV

Can i take a SideWinder? To 100..........YES
My old Ecoboost Winder came closest.

SideWinder is King of Lake...................until next year?
BOOST will be fast................if it makes it across lake!
IMG_2128.jpg
IMG_2016.jpg

I will start with I still LOVE the SideWinder!!!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE understand this!
My 3000 mile belt pulled 120 on speedo. It took 3000 miles before motor would pull 78-8000 rpm's

"King of Lake".....................................................................NOT!!

YES a good running STOCK Winder can reel me in with a perfect situation..............Lake or Rail Bed.............only happened twice BTW out of 5700 miles.
I still LOVE the SideWinder so i will not bash it. To ME they are very even give or take a few issues on both.
I rode with 5 Winders & they NOW have respect. All the 850 boys are still shocked cuz they believed the INTRANET BS

I applaud DOO for at least making an attempt for a fix. I believe my throttle is fine, but many should be fixed by this. I spoke to dealer who was doing this fix months ago & it helped 2 of the 4 he adjusted. 1 had loose hoses. The last one may be dud.
YamahaCat takes forever for fixes IF they even address them!!!!! This is undisputable even for die hards.

5 small issues on my R:
2. A plastic tab that holds hood from sliding back broke off. I don't think i had it on properly, but still kinda cheap

View attachment 167847View attachment 167848
I'm with you Steve and I know many don't believe me and mached me (no pun intended) but my 900r runs great.
On several occasions I raced my old Winder and took it from a dead stop and it could never catch me. These races were in long fields and groomed roads, not lakes. I was showing top speeds on the speedo between 115 and 118 that were 108-110 gps. I know many will say that's not that fast but it was on snow and the Winder was behind me the whole distance.
I don't know how these sleds will run on long lake runs but from all the reports the 900r doesn't pull very high top speeds.
My last run of the year was on a groomed logging road in 40 degree temps. I ran 115 speedo 108 gps in around 1/4 mile distance. I think the sled is really fast in that distance and I don't know how it runs on longer pulls because we don't have those around where I live.
I would do all my long top end runs up in Ontario and Quebec and the last two years we haven't gone to Canada. My results are in shorter distances on snow not long pulls on ice.

I rarely wade into these discussions because racing different sleds on different days can be apples and oranges and a lot of times have little relevance but I can speak from first hand experience here.
You guys must have got a couple of really good 900Rs
My friends 900R with the electronic shocks runs and rides great but it is no match to another friends completely stock 2022 X-TX-LE SW, in a drag race, mid range , or top end. Even my trusty old Attak out accelerated in mid range and ran away from the 900R Renegade on top end...we never drag raced.
The Doo is in the shop for the updates so hopefully we will be able to test it out again this year.

5 small issues on my R:

Nice post, but I'm still skeptical that the mack is faster in a drag race with a winder stock for stock.
I'd have to witness it for myself. Even the infamous lester clan wouldn't drag race the mack against the t-cat from a standing start!

5 small issues on my R:

5 small issues on my R:

Well if that 900r took a season of your abuse, it’s one tough sled!
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your new Sled, instead of the e

5 small issues on my R:

Surely sounds like your 900r is a tough mother. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your new sled instead of the opposite…

I saw many of those 900r Doos on the trails this season! Many of them look over at the Winders, and then lift their skis for us as they pass us while we are trail side talking. I’ve checked out a few when back at the motel, and the same discussion time after time, I look and see all of the Doo’s options and ergonomics and say, very nice sled. They in turn, most ask about what tune I am running!!

So yes, until next year, and another contender is OK with me!

Some things never change, and other brands playing catch up, speed wise, will never get old, because that’s where it’s at for me still!

So good for Poo and Doo, bring it on, it may cause a reaction to the King Yamacat!

A stock sidewinder is slow. So is a stock tcat
This is fun to read though! Lmao

Well if that 900r took a season of your abuse, it’s one tough sled!
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your new Sled, instead of the e

Surely sounds like your 900r is a tough mother. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your new sled instead of the opposite…

I saw many of those 900r Doos on the trails this season! Many of them look over at the Winders, and then lift their skis for us as they pass us while we are trail side talking. I’ve checked out a few when back at the motel, and the same discussion time after time, I look and see all of the Doo’s options and ergonomics and say, very nice sled. They in turn, most ask about what tune I am running!!

So yes, until next year, and another contender is OK with me!

Some things never change, and other brands playing catch up, speed wise, will never get old, because that’s where it’s at for me still!

So good for Poo and Doo, bring it on, it may cause a reaction to the King Yamacat!
Sorry about these double or triple attachments! Something screwed with my IPad and iPhone when on here!!

A stock sidewinder is slow. So is a stock tcat
This is fun to read though! Lmao
That’s exactly what I said when I first got my new 17 Winder! But then nothing else would run with them, so I decided they are deceptively fast! One doesn’t feel a fast 2 stroke pull, and then there was that turbo lag that others talked about, But it just had a smooooth long pull that worked OK!

So again would the Doo or Poo satisfy my need, stock? The winder didn’t!

Back