• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mach Z not stock king of the lake.

Every 998 rider out there has a big target on their back that Doo and Poo riders all want to claim as a victory .
They usually won't race a 998 unless they have, in their minds, some kind of advantage.
Back in the day, owning and riding a 440 SRX, a VMAX4, and then a 700 SRX was the same....I am plenty used to it.:)
The 998 for sure is a target for everyone… my friends have been chasing me for 4 years now… I had to up my game last year. I had a multi tune, 240,270,290. They had 2015 ZR8000 with big bore 205hp …and 60 hp nos shot. They beat me with the 270 tune… but not the 290. The 998 turbo is not easy to beat once set up correctly, set it up to transfer and good luck. They spent a lot of money to catch the turbo. Now I spent a lot of money to stay ahead…but it’s all fun. That’s why we do it.

Attachments

• IMG_0257.MOV
    1.5 MB

I just looked at forecast and they are calling for 64 degrees this coming week. Very depressing for us winter enthusiasts.
I guess I will spend my money on golf and my C8 Stingray then I won’t feel like I’m wasting it.

When you beat your buddy at anything, whether is at golf , a snowmobile race, or a poker game, it puts a big smile on your face . It’s the competition that’s fun. If the winter won’t come to you, you have to go to the winter. We are in the upper peninsula of Michigan for snow, but they had a warm up too.

Looks like progress is being made at camp 900r. Chris being a vender, I'm not sure of the accuracy of his gps figures.
View attachment 170499

I know the Hurricane ECU works on them better than stock as I have sold one to my buddy and he raved about it, but bone stock Sidewinders will run these numbers posted above.

My buddy now has a stock 900R XRS that only runs 107 on the DREAMETER, and this is post updates and "the factory fix".

I had a bone stock 1200 that would run 105 in any conditions on the dreameter, and once I did all the mods ran 125 on the dreameter on the hardpackroad. I could take it down my short road and hit 117 on the dreameter which was 109 on the GPS.

I'm sorry, I love the Doo's but the 900R IMO is a complete flop and pretty slow for what it makes for power. The 1200 was a little underdog, the 900R or turbo is the complete opposite of an underdog. It's too bad it doesn't or can't show better than it does, but until you stick HUGE money into it, it will never show well. It needs a bigger turbo, rods, pistons and an aftermarket ECU. To make one run decent you'll need over 12K in just parts alone.

I know the Hurricane ECU works on them better than stock as I have sold one to my buddy and he raved about it, but bone stock Sidewinders will run these numbers posted above.

My buddy now has a stock 900R XRS that only runs 107 on the DREAMETER, and this is post updates and "the factory fix".

I had a bone stock 1200 that would run 105 in any conditions on the dreameter, and once I did all the mods ran 125 on the dreameter on the hardpackroad. I could take it down my short road and hit 117 on the dreameter which was 109 on the GPS.

I'm sorry, I love the Doo's but the 900R IMO is a complete flop and pretty slow for what it makes for power. The 1200 was a little underdog, the 900R or turbo is the complete opposite of an underdog. It's too bad it doesn't or can't show better than it does, but until you stick HUGE money into it, it will never show well. It needs a bigger turbo, rods, pistons and an aftermarket ECU. To make one run decent you'll need over 12K in just parts alone.

Won't be a bunch of doo DNA left after all the updates/mods. I just saw one posted for $27k CAD (used obviously) so there is the double whammy of covid pricing before you get to that additional $12k. Its a great trail sled, but stock you better get used to reading snow flaps with the Polaris and Yamaha logos on them. I am taking nothing away from the sled, it is a great (if a bit overpriced or maybe overvalued) trail machine.

Hey Mike I have heard of lots of these 900 r’s running poorly.
I was really pleased with mine last year. I raced my old bone stock Winder last year on some long fields and beat it several times.
I have no idea what the top end speed is on it but I did get a few runs on sticky snow in 40 degree temps at the end of last season. I consistently got 118 speedo and 108 GPS. I know in good snow and cold temps my numbers will be even better. I’m not doing any updates on my sled since I think it’s running great for a stocker and the RPM’s have been 7700-7900 consistently.

100% with you, Knapp. When others make claims I sit and consider....
1)can 235hp delivery 122mph?
A. I'd say very possible.
2) how long did it take?
A. Longer than a Winder, at that level.
3) what else ($$$) is needed to deliver consistent, reliability?
A. Not exactly sure?!?
Once again we will be tested. As sideshowbob stated, "we have a target on our backs" and its been there for five seasons, and that's not giving any credit for the previous FX turbos. Which are still an awesome platform.
I hope they get their S**t together and the aftermarket delivers to their customers, what the factory (skidoo) couldn't.

Hey Mike I have heard of lots of these 900 r’s running poorly.
I was really pleased with mine last year. I raced my old bone stock Winder last year on some long fields and beat it several times.
I have no idea what the top end speed is on it but I did get a few runs on sticky snow in 40 degree temps at the end of last season. I consistently got 118 speedo and 108 GPS. I know in good snow and cold temps my numbers will be even better. I’m not doing any updates on my sled since I think it’s running great for a stocker and the RPM’s have been 7700-7900 consistently.

Ya, conditions are always everything for sure Joe. Glad yours is running well, you can thank your luck stars for that, cause many flat out suck and don't run that well.

This is my buds second 900R, a XRS now, and a previous Mach, both are decent down low but nothing to write home about, a far cry from a stock 998 and even 850's. Honestly for the power they are supposed to make, they don't show it. Lots of them are slow yes, but even the best ones are what I'd consider slow for the power they make.

It's too bad Doo didn't use the 1200 engine and just de-bore it down to a 1000 and be done with it, then they would have a good turbo platform. The 900 engine is not a good platform to start with, but its too late now. Everyone unknowingly clamored for a turboed 900 and Doo built it.

I rode a new 22 LTX-GT Power Steering sled yesterday, and can tell it is a powerhouse of a machine, by far the most refined, easiest steering and fastest 1.25" tracked stock trail sled I ever thru a leg over. It felt so light and small with its easy steering and riding, I couldn't even believe what I was actually riding. I fell in love with it. Unless Doo build a completely different platform, I will likely never have another Doo in the stable again.

I rode a new 22 LTX-GT Power Steering sled yesterday, and can tell it is a powerhouse of a machine, by far the most refined, easiest steering and fastest 1.25" tracked stock trail sled I ever thru a leg over. It felt so light and small with its easy steering and riding, I couldn't even believe what I was actually riding. I fell in love with it.
THIS is what I want to hear. I only have 8 miles on my 2022 LTX and am itching to trail ride it!!!
All my updates are done, and it is ready for snow, just need some better weather forecasts or the trailer is going to start getting some miles put on it!!

I just looked at forecast and they are calling for 64 degrees this coming week. Very depressing for us winter enthusiasts.
I guess I will spend my money on golf and my C8 Stingray then I won’t feel like I’m wasting it.
It will be my new to me C7!!! Lol

Ya, conditions are always everything for sure Joe. Glad yours is running well, you can thank your luck stars for that, cause many flat out suck and don't run that well.

This is my buds second 900R, a XRS now, and a previous Mach, both are decent down low but nothing to write home about, a far cry from a stock 998 and even 850's. Honestly for the power they are supposed to make, they don't show it. Lots of them are slow yes, but even the best ones are what I'd consider slow for the power they make.

It's too bad Doo didn't use the 1200 engine and just de-bore it down to a 1000 and be done with it, then they would have a good turbo platform. The 900 engine is not a good platform to start with, but its too late now. Everyone unknowingly clamored for a turboed 900 and Doo built it.

I rode a new 22 LTX-GT Power Steering sled yesterday, and can tell it is a powerhouse of a machine, by far the most refined, easiest steering and fastest 1.25" tracked stock trail sled I ever thru a leg over. It felt so light and small with its easy steering and riding, I couldn't even believe what I was actually riding. I fell in love with it. Unless Doo build a completely different platform, I will likely never have another Doo in the stable again.
All I did to my new EPS Tcat was add the shaft saver. The new cat clutch really works well. This is the best bone stock sled I have ever owned.

THIS is what I want to hear. I only have 8 miles on my 2022 LTX and am itching to trail ride it!!!
All my updates are done, and it is ready for snow, just need some better weather forecasts or the trailer is going to start getting some miles put on it!!

You are going to love it Rich!

All I did to my new EPS Tcat was add the shaft saver. The new cat clutch really works well. This is the best bone stock sled I have ever owned.

Thats all they need, and of course the tensioner bolts tack welded once you open up the chain case and the top gear bushing addressed. The Cats however ar less plagued by these items. I've seen the Cats 24 top gear bushing look pretty darn good at 3000 miles unlike the winders 21 top gear. Same for the tensioner bolts. On the Cat gearing very few loose screws unlike the Yamahas.

You are going to love it Rich!

Thats all they need, and of course the tensioner bolts tack welded once you open up the chain case and the top gear bushing addressed. The Cats however ar less plagued by these items. I've seen the Cats 24 top gear bushing look pretty darn good at 3000 miles unlike the winders 21 top gear. Same for the tensioner bolts. On the Cat gearing very few loose screws unlike the Yamahas.
100% agree with the tensioner bolts at service time. I saw 5000 miles on the last cat gear before changing the bushing but will check it closely. Amazingly, the sled got 13.4 MPG on its first tank.

Every 998 rider out there has a big target on their back that Doo and Poo riders all want to claim as a victory .
They usually won't race a 998 unless they have, in their minds, some kind of advantage.
Back in the day, owning and riding a 440 SRX, a VMAX4, and then a 700 SRX was the same....I am plenty used to it.:)
I point to the windshield.....

Attachments

• Shield.jpg
    Shield.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 100

Back