• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tune differences

1.86 triggers
Oh that’s the poo
Hahaha
I ran 1.8 ratio on my cat and really never thought I lost corner to corner?
I’m keeping notes for next winter. Lol

I have had the hurricane stock muffler tune last year. This year, I change the performance tune. A little louder than stock at idle. Not much difference of sound in trail speed. The big difference is the way it runs. Better on fuel. Pulls harder right from the dig. over stock muffler. It's a good 2 sleds faster out of the whole. Top end is better. I run 270hp and its a complete blast and runs on 91.
I was wondering about the same. I have a 270 sm and find it low on power bottom end. Thinking on trying the 270 pm tune.

I can't see any stock muffler tune being 270hp. It just doesn't seem like the puny 2" stock muffler can flow enough.

Cheapest route IMO is TD Powertrail tune. The only auxillary hardware needed is set of Dalton weights, runs on 87, but preferably 91 if available.

Powertrail Tune/stock muffler becomes Eco trail 250hp. Slap on SQ super quiet muffler and it becomes Powertrail 275hp. Same tune, just change muffler. Biggest bang for the buck here.

Runnability is linear like stock, but more power everywhere. My Buddy has over 18k miles with that tune, it's been flawless, and he's put a hurtin on many sleds.

As the tunes get bigger, more supporting hardware needed:. Fuel pump, BOV, map sensor, wideband, fuel pressure regulator, clutching, belt issues, etc. Before long, you realize.............you've entered .riq
Cheapest route IMO is TD Powertrail tune. The only auxillary hardware needed is set of Dalton weights, runs on 87, but preferably 91 if available.

Powertrail Tune/stock muffler becomes Eco trail 250hp. Slap on SQ super quiet muffler and it becomes Powertrail 275hp. Same tune, just change muffler. Biggest bang for the buck here.

Runnability is linear like stock, but more power everywhere. My Buddy has over 18k miles with that tune, it's been flawless, and he's put a hurtin on many sleds.

As the tunes get bigger, more supporting hardware needed:. Fuel pump, BOV, map sensor, wideband, fuel pressure regulator, clutching, belt issues, etc. Before long, you realize.............you've entered the jungle!
I do find that very intriguing!
One tune that works on both, stock and aftermarket 2.5 or 3” muffler!

Would need data log or AFR to verify it’s safe operation.

Isn't the TD MS16 SM tune like 260hp with no other mods needed?
I have that tune and think it rips!
How does the Hurricane 240ss compare to that? Or is the 270 comparable?
270 seems to need more supporting mods (different MAP sensor, CAI, BOV).

I will say I have seen on dyno 260 hp from D&D mod stock muffler which has the stock inlet and 3” outlet. Can’t say what the stock muffler is capable of hp wise but I imagine 270 is probably its limit.

Yes the MS16 with the stock 2 bar sensor has evolved. Your tune was advertised back then as 260hp, since then they added two other MS16 tunes, the MS16 3 bar and the MS16 header tunes. Back in the day, the MS16 tune was compatible with a header or the cheaper D&D muffler mod talked about.

The updated MS16 3 bar was advertised as 270 hp, while the header tune added another 10 hp or so.
Just try and keep up with the tunes evolving, it’s is a lot to look at. Sometimes you are better off not remembering all that has evolved, and just pick one, or all with the Bundle tunes!

Again for me, I would really like a one tune that can adapt to both stock and 2.5” - 3”” mufflers. Yeah, I can dream!

I have a 2 bar MS16 tune in my RTX. It's never been on a dyno, but it consistently pulls 16.4-16.8 on my boost gauge.

I believe the Hurricane 240 tunes run in the 15 psi range.

I've heard the Hurricane tunes have more boost earlier in the RPM range. My tune is very docile until 6,500 RPM.

I have a 2 bar MS16 tune in my RTX. It's never been on a dyno, but it consistently pulls 16.4-16.8 on my boost gauge.

I believe the Hurricane 240 tunes run in the 15 psi range.

I've heard the Hurricane tunes have more boost earlier in the RPM range. My tune is very docile until 6,500 RPM.
My TD Power Trail tune with CAI & 3" Super Quiet muffler will spike to maybe 16.2-16.3 and then settle to 15.8.-15.9.

Yes the MS16 with the stock 2 bar sensor has evolved. Your tune was advertised back then as 260hp, since then they added two other MS16 tunes, the MS16 3 bar and the MS16 header tunes. Back in the day, the MS16 tune was compatible with a header or the cheaper D&D muffler mod talked about.

The updated MS16 3 bar was advertised as 270 hp, while the header tune added another 10 hp or so.
Just try and keep up with the tunes evolving, it’s is a lot to look at. Sometimes you are better off not remembering all that has evolved, and just pick one, or all with the Bundle tunes!

Again for me, I would really like a one tune that can adapt to both stock and 2.5” - 3”” mufflers. Yeah, I can dream!

MS-16 3bar is the same as MS-17. The 3 bar allows it to boost another .5-1 # of boost.

Put a SQ 2.5 on with no other changes and pick 17hp.

Last edited:
MS-16 3bar is the same as MS-17. The 3 bar allows it to boost another .5-1 # of boost.

Put a SQ 2.5 on with no other changes and pick 17hp.
Man I like the sound of that whereas I have a SQ.2.5” just sitting here after I customized it to accept all stock shields and could not get the MS17 to run to my liking!

Is this something you have tried with your data log or AFR ?

I have heard exactly what you are saying from others, and then heard the opposite from same!
Have the conversation on my Messenger. I was and still am Leary but have been running a D&D smm because I was told it does add nothing because of the 2” inlet, even though my tests against others proved some differerence!

I bought a stock muffler this year after I went sideways with the MS17 tune, so back to the MS16 now!

If what you say is proven, You’ve made my day! Thanks!

Oh and thanks for the tip on using straps when adding stock stamped shield to the SQ2.5”
That worked great.

Back