• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Cross-Shaft shears...

Like this?
This is pathetic. My monoshock suspension in my apex held up better than this.
Exactly but I hit a spuare bump about 18in talk about 60mph. Couldn’t believe it didn’t do more damage or cause a crash. The doo in front of me went end over end. Totaling his sled. I’ll take a broken suspension arm any day.

Exactly but I hit a spuare bump about 18in talk about 60mph. Couldn’t believe it didn’t do more damage or cause a crash. The doo in front of me went end over end. Totaling his sled. I’ll take a broken suspension arm any day.

Ya, i didnt hit anything like that. Just Normal/rough trail riding in maine.

Here is complete RR shaft. Stronger bigger design. Those bushings on end are same dimensions other than the flange is thinner. They also are machined rather than powdered metal like stockers. I would imagine the RTX LE is same thing. Didnt have one on hand to check so all I have are Cat part #'s

8408-051=Bolts 2 needed
3604-791=Bushing 2 needed
3604-711=Front Arm axle 1 needed
3604-798=Center Shock Axle steel 1 needed

These are what I believe are the equivalent Yamaha Parts
8KN-G7465-00-00 = FRONT ARM AXLE 1 NEEDED
8KN-RA1A0-00-00 = BOLTS 2 NEEDED
8KN-RA805-00-00 = BUSHING 2 NEEDED
8KN-RA729-00-00 = CENTER SHOCK AXLE STEEL 1 NEEDED

View attachment 107167
Cannondale, I have a 2014 ltx Se and just broke the cross shaft. I am going to up date to the 2016 yamaha parts but wondering why the center shock axel is included in the new parts. Mine in fine just broke the cross shaft. Is this need to update the cross shaft. Thanks.

Center shock axle is known to bend also. The upgrade is the race replica part and suggested to be replaced to avoid that issue in the future.

Has anyone actually replaced the steel bushing/collars due to wear? Working on a beefed up steel cross shaft design and debating just making the entire shaft the od of the bushing so its just one shaft and not a 3 piece design.

I have a cracked front arm on my 14 RTX (@ lower cross shaft), caught it before anything major failed luckily. Did anyone find out if the 16-17 front arm is a direct replacement for the 14-15 arm? It is considerably cheaper to purchase for some reason. If it is not I will probably just weld mine up and reinforce it to prevent a future problem.

I have a cracked front arm on my 14 RTX (@ lower cross shaft), caught it before anything major failed luckily. Did anyone find out if the 16-17 front arm is a direct replacement for the 14-15 arm? It is considerably cheaper to purchase for some reason. If it is not I will probably just weld mine up and reinforce it to prevent a future problem.
Weld and reinforce. Geometry is different 16.5 up.

My190 hurricane turbo2015 viper has been nothing but Steller 5000km, But this week had cross shaft failure I do have Bill's front spring installed. If you ride aggressively I would recommend replacing front cross shaft to the new beefier one part numbers listed in above thread by Cannondale27. wish I would have read this thread earlier. I was lucky enough to still ride home didn't break any speed records drove 50kmh the legal speed limit for trails here in Ontario. lol

Thanks for clarification. I did the same last year and I do have the upgraded race replica parts now.

I just got bills spring but have not installed it yet. Wanted to be sure I understood correctly.

I replaced my cross shaft last year and glad I did, my buddy and I hit a big rock on the trail and he bent his on a 600 and mine is ok. I also replaced the lower shock shaft this year, mine was bent almost 1/4".

The cross shafts seem to break in the same place flush with the edge of the bushing.
IMG_5621.JPG

Back