• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Cross-Shaft shears...

All Viper Owners take a look at your front arm cross shaft on your rear skid. Especially if you are riding these sled super aggressively over heavy rutted trail trash. It looks like the shaft is shearing off right at the end of the bolt and the bushing support. It looks as if most of the damage is done to the shaft and the tunnel once it lets go.

View attachment 106821 View attachment 106822 View attachment 106823 View attachment 106824

The bolt and collar should not be the same length so the stress on the shaft is not in the same place... thats my take on it.
View attachment 106820

See the skid looks fine.
View attachment 106819
Cannodale,,
Mine finally went.. pretty much identical failure as yours was...
Question tho... how you guys straighten your tunnels?!!
Got all the RR parts ready to go.. just need to fix the tunnel.. no tears or shears.. just bent

My rr shaft just sheared yesterday on my 17 ltx le (added it in the Hope's of avoiding this), didnt damage the tunnel quite as bad as cannondale but still spider cracked both sides and peeled in on the clutch side a little.
Dealer has all the pictures and should be sending to yamaha for warranty claim today. Hoping they honor it. I pilot drilled the end of the spider cracks to try to prevent the spread further
Noticed one spread overnight must have been there and the weight finally opened it the rest of the way. Will be trying a temporary fix like cannondales for now as I have a week long riding trip in new hamsphire I leave for on Sunday. Hoping I can sandwich some support plates on there and with the addition of travis steel sleeve I can make it work for my trip.

How are you guys straightening out the tunnels? I have the added supports and the new shafts... just working on trying to make it somewhat straight again

Solid Steel plate on the opposite side of the bend and a leather mallet or similar to flatten it back out in the affected area to get it as straight and square as possible again worked on the one side for me so far, hoping a buddy can then do a quick tig weld on it before I support plate over it

X2 Yup takes a lot of beating to get straight. Welds nice. I have seen one other RR shaft shear but that was on a sled the tunnel was not fixed and reinforced after snapping stock. Not saying RR shaft is un breakable. The racers do often. Sucks big time. I think key is reinforcing tunnel and shaft. I think Travis's kit with his plates is a great idea and should be done BEFORE this happens. I wonder if a tube could be welded on front arm to eliminate the slide action? Would be a great experiment to see if any difference is even felt.

My rr shaft just sheared yesterday on my 17 ltx le (added it in the Hope's of avoiding this), didnt damage the tunnel quite as bad as cannondale but still spider cracked both sides and peeled in on the clutch side a little.
Dealer has all the pictures and should be sending to yamaha for warranty claim today. Hoping they honor it. I pilot drilled the end of the spider cracks to try to prevent the spread further
Noticed one spread overnight must have been there and the weight finally opened it the rest of the way. Will be trying a temporary fix like cannondales for now as I have a week long riding trip in new hamsphire I leave for on Sunday. Hoping I can sandwich some support plates on there and with the addition of travis steel sleeve I can make it work for my trip.
Can you take a picture? Still shear right at end of bolt? You used rr bolts and shaft correct?

20190127_223636-1209x1612.jpg

Had to grind the head of the bolt off to remove this small piece, its slid out in the picture but was flush when in the tunnel, couldn't hold the shaft inside the collar from spinning when trying to loosen the bolt, so the head ground off to drop the sheared piece from the inside of the tunnel.

Looks like it sheared right at where it's turned down for collar. Another stress point. Looks like only hope is the Barn of Parts kit. Thanks AnythingButLast. Sucks this crap happens but fun before it does right!

Yea and the sad part is I cant recall any particular bump on the trail that was out of the ordinary to cause it. Will be welding and plating Friday and hoping the dealer and yamaha can get me a new tunnel to start fresh with. Barn of parts sleeve will definitely be used now and in the future. Thought the rr shaft was going to save me this headache but oh well. In their hands now to approve or deny

Yea and the sad part is I cant recall any particular bump on the trail that was out of the ordinary to cause it. Will be welding and plating Friday and hoping the dealer and yamaha can get me a new tunnel to start fresh with. Barn of parts sleeve will definitely be used now and in the future. Thought the rr shaft was going to save me this headache but oh well. In their hands now to approve or deny
If you get new tunnel just stash it away. You repair it right it will be stronger than stock junk. Good luck with warranty.

Back