• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Cutting Production for 2019

Yamaha is advertising Cats sleds! You know the ones Cat builds for them and puts on sweet Yamaha stickers. They havn,t designed a sled since what? 2008! All they have designed since then in a engine plate for a Cat chassis, a turbo engine, air shock rear skid, and a coupled front shock system, other then the new engine and possibly the air shock skid the rest are refinements at best. two of those being on a discontinued sled! Until Yamaha builds a sled of their own they are the proud company of two engines (oh wait three including the VK540) everything else is Cats or rather textrons. They build a Vector and a VK! One being 20 years old and the other dates back to 2003!

I can't blame Yamaha though as hard as I try, because even the yamaha riders, many of them right here on TY diced the hell out of Yamaha and ran down everything they made because they where heavy, they burned oil, carb jets always plugging, no fuel injection, suspensions sucked and broke, handlebar warmers didn't work, front ends wore out and where loose, Front ends bent and broke if you hit a bump in the trail, exhaust headers cracked and broke, donuts blew out in a season, idler wheels where junk, tracks where junk, handling was bad, off trail was bad, no bump sled, no mountain sled, to much ice buildup in the tunnel and the list goes on! Hell when the competition is all over you because your sled is way to heavy and is a slug, well thats one thing but when your riders turn on you as well, time to stop building sleds cause you suck and contract that out to the competition! Stick to what you are good at, refine the hell out of things and build engines! Who can blame them?

Yamaha is no longer a Sled Manufacture and has taken a back seat to Cat and the rest of the industry. There are now three sled Manufactures left and one engine builder! I don't see anything that proves that statement wrong! They stunned the industry and set the bar high with their four stroke sleds in 2003. With the moving of all their sleds to the cat lineup one can hope its a stopgap measure while the get their ducks in a row so they can stun the industry again, but they need a place to design and to manufacture and to test. Lets see they have offices! No manufacturing plant, all their manpower is over at Cat fitting engines and trying to improve Cat quality to keep their dealers selling the competitions sleds, so again at this rate, at Yamaha's speed of doing things, I'll be long dead and buried before anything comes from Yamaha! Worse yet will it be outdated and in need of tons of refinements to make it a sled worth riding. Maybe best if they just let Cat build sleds and they can sell engines out of Japan!
Why did Yamaha move their head office to Canada? why not put it up the street from the Cat/Textron manufacturing plant, would be a shorter walk for the engineers and designers, would you be suggesting that the Ceo of Yamaha north America is lying to all its Yamaha sled owners and fans that dream about the next new cutting edge sled design, his statement on SnowTrax TV was suggesting that Yamaha customers are going to be very impressed with what is ahead in new sled development, was this also a lie to their customer base, things are just not adding up.

I’m not saying they won’t have issues but every sled out there does just pick your poison

fe35ea36f8bad880e646f35ec18caea9.jpg

Yep everything has its issues. They are only as good as the weakest link on the assembly line that day...we’re human

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fe35ea36f8bad880e646f35ec18caea9.jpg

Yep everything has its issues. They are only as good as the weakest link on the assembly line that day...we’re human

Man that sucks, I wonder why that happened, i'm sure Ski-Doo would have come good for it though, I would not be right happy about it, repairs and time lost on the trail especially when you laid your hard earned money down on a new sled, this would put a bad taste in your mouth in regards to the new 850, even after the motor was replaced I would remain suspicious when out riding trails, I guess this could happen to 4strokes as well at any given time, I feel bad for the guy.

Man that sucks, I wonder why that happened, i'm sure Ski-Doo would have come good for it though, I would not be right happy about it, repairs and time lost on the trail especially when you laid your hard earned money down on a new sled, this would put a bad taste in your mouth in regards to the new 850, even after the motor was replaced I would remain suspicious when out riding trails, I guess this could happen to 4strokes as well at any given time, I feel bad for the guy.

For sure from what I read BRP was there right away to take care of it. Yes I wouldn’t be pleased even though warranty would kick in. Still the down time, possible damages scratches etc from remove and replace. That’s a tough pill to swallow for-sure.

Yamaha's future in snowmobiling is all about what a person thinks is possible. I think both Cat and Yamaha benefited from the OEM Agreement learned a lot from each other. If you look at the 200/scoot it was went from Yamaha engineering to Cat for design tweaks and production. I see nothing wrong with this process but it is different than pure Yamaha.....it is profitable for both companies and will continue. I would suspect more partnering between Yamaha and Cat to produce a clean sheet Apex replacement that could have a new engine and chassis. Everyone complains about Yamaha rear suspensions and overall weight and the SS was more of the same a complete failure imo. The mono was pretty good and cushy the CK is a banger...Yamaha just does not do rear suspensions well so I for one want Cat involved in the development of the next generation Apex. Yes different from pure Yamaha development but can be a better overall sled with the best from both companies. I for one want Yamaha to stay in the sled biz so if assembled in TFR so it can be cost effective and priced for the market that is a good thing imo. Keep the faith that something good is in the pipeline and it's not over until it's over and no official indication from either company that the relationship is over.

For sure from what I read BRP was there right away to take care of it. Yes I wouldn’t be pleased even though warranty would kick in. Still the down time, possible damages scratches etc from remove and replace. That’s a tough pill to swallow for-sure.

I was reading up on this issue and following the BRP thread on this engine failure, it is unbelievable what this guy's dealer and BRP is doing to this guy or better said not doing for this guy, SHAME ON BRP

Hawwwtcoffee, you might want to go back and reread that discussion on Dootalk. That pic is from some other guys 600 that 'Blew up", the 850 that they are talking about over there went at 9 miles and took out the sleds E and S modules also.
BRP posted on the forum right away that they will be contacting him right away, they never have so far. His motor blew up almost two weeks ago.

Hawwwtcoffee, you might want to go back and reread that discussion on Dootalk. That pic is from some other guys 600 that 'Blew up", the 850 that they are talking about over there went at 9 miles and took out the sleds E and S modules also.
BRP posted on the forum right away that they will be contacting him right away, they never have so far. His motor blew up almost two weeks ago.

I just read the whole thing...sparko should be drafting up a letter of intent to brp and his dealer. 4 year warranties are offered now but what good are they if the manufactures drag their heels like this. Wonderful news...I like my service in my garage. I know I get my money’s worth when I do my own work.

Last I heard it was 2 weeks and still no sled to ride.

Why did Yamaha move their head office to Canada? why not put it up the street from the Cat/Textron manufacturing plant, would be a shorter walk for the engineers and designers, would you be suggesting that the Ceo of Yamaha north America is lying to all its Yamaha sled owners and fans that dream about the next new cutting edge sled design, his statement on SnowTrax TV was suggesting that Yamaha customers are going to be very impressed with what is ahead in new sled development, was this also a lie to their customer base, things are just not adding up.

As they have been saying that forever, just what does it mean? Why you immediately jump to lying? Why would you suggest that I possibly am saying that a suggestion by a CEO of Yamaha Customers being impressed by new development is a lie? He is of course an CEO and would of course say what is wanted to be heard! It does not necessarily mean a new carbon fiber Apex powered beast is in the works. It could mean anything you want it too. Pick your dream and run with it. It could mean new ski design, or a air shock skid, or shock package on a Cat chassis! I does not necessarily mean a new Yamaha sled. Thats the dream, thats how they get ya!

I am not that easily swayed by words. The site is full of words, new tech, the next wow and then disappointment. I'll save my Wow for when they deserve it. Been there saw that!

Ya was a few dropped rods on the four strokes as well even before Cat screwed up the ECU!

As they have been saying that forever, just what does it mean? Why you immediately jump to lying? Why would you suggest that I possibly am saying that a suggestion by a CEO of Yamaha Customers being impressed by new development is a lie? He is of course an CEO and would of course say what is wanted to be heard! It does not necessarily mean a new carbon fiber Apex powered beast is in the works. It could mean anything you want it too. Pick your dream and run with it. It could mean new ski design, or a air shock skid, or shock package on a Cat chassis! I does not necessarily mean a new Yamaha sled. Thats the dream, thats how they get ya!

I am not that easily swayed by words. The site is full of words, new tech, the next wow and then disappointment. I'll save my Wow for when they deserve it. Been there saw that!
Well you said Yamaha sleds are dead, they are getting out of the business of sled building, I think Yamaha plays a big part in sled development and I think the pro chassis has been taken forward sense its release with a lot of help from Yamaha, heck we might have it all wrong Cat might be using the Yamaha chassis now and being rebadged Cat because of the agreement who really knows, the Winder and t cat are in a refurbished chassis designed and motorized by Yamaha to fit their engine, yeah I would call that a Yamaha chassis being used by Cat, well hopefully you will be still be alive and kicking to ride and enjoy Yamaha's new cutting edge chassis and motor in the near future.

I have this feeling of stumbling in darkness here...

Anyway, I dreamt this night Chris Reid was back with "Sled talk" .
And boy, did he have great news for everybody!!
Then I woke up...

Ya was a few dropped rods on the four strokes as well even before Cat screwed up the ECU!
My Phazer was one, dropped a rod at 600 miles. Took about 3 weeks to get it back since they didn’t have a complete “crate engine” available and the dealer had to order most of the parts and rebuild it themselves. Buddy blew his Etec 600 and the dealer had it back to him in 2 days, had a crate engine on the shelf. Sucks to lose riding time!

A friend broke one in his 05 Vector, claims he was only going 40. Less than 2000 mile on the sled, was not worth fixing financially.

Back