• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thunder Products Orange Secondary spring **Update**

Just checked a couple things on mine....

Dalton B/O comes in at 14 pounds avg on fish scale(Backpressure) when set to 6/1(70) as per Dale.

The TP Orange set to 3/2(50) still had MORE backpressure, as It was much harder to install at 50 then above setup at 70.

I do realize twist "tangs" can be different from one to the next, so just something to consider.

I know in DOO world we go by scale rating, which does make for less confusion when comparing tangs/torsional values apples to apples.

As for compression, it seems to me just quickly comparing the two....the compression is similarly close from these two springs.

So I would think 50 as mentioned above by Shag and Terry would be the max to twist the orange TP to. Good call guys.

Dan

Last edited:

Just checked a couple things on mine....

Dalton B/O comes in at 14 pounds avg on fish scale(Backpressure) when set to 6/1(70) as per Dale.

The TP Orange set to 3/2(50) still had MORE backpressure, as It was much harder to install at 50 then above setup at 70.

I do realize twist "tangs" can be different from one to the next, so just something to consider.

I know in DOO world we go by scale rating, which does make for less confusion when comparing tangs/torsional values apples to apples.

As for compression, it seems to me just quickly comparing the two....the compression is similarly close from these two springs.

So I would think 50 as mentioned above by Shag and Terry would be the max to twist the orange TP to. Good call guys.

Dan
Nice glad someone finally compared this TP orange spring.
No mention of helix angles or type of belt being used makes this all useless info tho. Run that spring with a 40 degree helix with an 8dn belt, you’ll probably want more twist than 40 degrees. On the other hand run that spring with a 33/35 and a Gates Carbon belt and you could turn it down to 20~30 degrees twist. Assuming untuned. M2C.

Last edited:
I drove today with 270r tp big venom with oranrge spring and 35 helix sat at 3 and 1 with gates carbon in powder snow and it worked well. Not as snappy as 3 and 3 though.

Dan , What do you think would the TPI orange spring be at 40degrees? I can't find my fish scale any more but that is how we did it years ago on the Srx's. Glad you did it so we could get a comparison.

Last edited:
Dan , What do you think would the TPI orange spring be at 40degrees? I can't find my fish scale any more but that is how we did it years ago on the Srx's. Glad you did it so we could get a comparison.
Just remember I did not actually take a reading with TP orange as I had removed it a few days ago, and only just checked the reading on the Dalton. I just know by how much harder it was to put together.

If i take mine apart again sometime I will check it at diff degrees for comparison, cause as most of you know these fish scale deals are never same from one to another, and I only use mine to compare my own with same scale.

Dan

Here's my update,after 600 miles with stock setup no belt issues. I installed TD Powertrial Dalton weights loaded to Ben's specs, thunder products orange secondary spring 100 miles hot clutches blew belt. Put stock secondary spring back in 400 trouble free miles warm clutches

Here's my update,after 600 miles with stock setup no belt issues. I installed TD Powertrial Dalton weights loaded to Ben's specs, thunder products orange secondary spring 100 miles hot clutches blew belt. Put stock secondary spring back in 400 trouble free miles warm clutches
So 700 miles when the belt blew? 400 miles on a new belt? Which belt? Which tune?

What was the TP orange secondary spring wrapped at?

So 700 miles when the belt blew? 400 miles on a new belt? Which belt? Which tune?
700 when 8jp blew,400 miles on 8jp pt,CAI,turboforce can

Back