• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Offset wrong under load? Video

Copy/Paste from Hurricane’s FB page just now:

Sidewinder/thundercat belt alignment
as we have heard, some of the sidewinders are good on belts and some aren’t. I thought that I would post what I’m seeing to solve the problem for my clients in the shop.
As an outlaw racer that has had to learn to harness 800hp without breaking belts, I have developed a method of checking clutch alignment at 1-1 clutch shift ratio. This includes a means of measuring the belt to secondary parallel.this is adjusted by changing the secondary clutch offset.
The sidewinder offset is way off on the sleds that are breaking belts. Many times we need to machine the back of the clutch to move it in to achieve the correct offset.the sleds that we have performed this to have not blown belts after

Copy/Paste from Hurricane’s FB page just now:

Sidewinder/thundercat belt alignment
as we have heard, some of the sidewinders are good on belts and some aren’t. I thought that I would post what I’m seeing to solve the problem for my clients in the shop.
As an outlaw racer that has had to learn to harness 800hp without breaking belts, I have developed a method of checking clutch alignment at 1-1 clutch shift ratio. This includes a means of measuring the belt to secondary parallel.this is adjusted by changing the secondary clutch offset.
The sidewinder offset is way off on the sleds that are breaking belts. Many times we need to machine the back of the clutch to move it in to achieve the correct offset.the sleds that we have performed this to have not blown belts after

Soupy maintains the fact that he has checked his alignment settings and they are within specifications. That’s not to say his Center to Center isn’t moving closer together under load. Which would cause his offset to be wrong, or worse yet clutches out of parallel under load.

Last edited:
37068F89-5C6D-4E45-A415-939D102BAF48.png

Wow after looking at this photo Super posted I would have to say your offset is way off or your parallel is out bigtime. Looks like the primary is tilted back towards the secondary.

On my viper I had to move the engine as my centre to centre was 261mm it's a pain to move it. You need to loosen all engine mounts bolts and you need to pull the engine to the front then retorque the bolts. My ctc are now 264.5mm so it's movable a couple of mm.

driving slower doesnt get cooler air in/out in volume or velocity and doesnt turn the belt over as much putting more heat into the belt...

I say as the power goes up....the most important thing to focus on is venting equal amounts of in and out (hvac like) or for off trail a electric fan!
sj - maybe this is something we all need to start considering. I've seen some pics of people who have added vents, but none are all that good looking. Is there a set you've seen that look like they belong?

Has anyone tried the Team setup any compared belt life ?

Soupy maintains the fact that he has checked his alignment settings and they are within specifications. That’s not to say his Center to Center isn’t moving closer together under load. Which would cause his offset to be wrong, or worse yet clutches out of parallel under load.

And this could be like @johan has mentioned....center to center being off. I was happy to help Johan with his clutching, but all the credit goes to him as he now has his Viper just flying and his clutches are not hot anymore. Yes, I know this is the SW talk, but he's pushing more power than most of us and the center to center is the same.Plus, he was plagued with the same belt issues people are having here.

Out of all the SW's, Vipers and turbo Vipers I have installed clutch kits on and worked on, I have not checked any center to center distances....only offsets which I keep at the top end of the tolerance. I do know how important center to center distance is, but never thought that it could be off more than enough to play havoc on belts from the factory knowing the engines are bolted in one position.

And this could be like @johan has mentioned....center to center being off. I was happy to help Johan with his clutching, but all the credit goes to him as he now has his Viper just flying and his clutches are not hot anymore.

Yes all the credit should go to him, your TP setup is horrible.

Last edited:
That's the center to center....262mm?

Has anyone tried the Team setup any compared belt life ?

Some owners of the TCats on one of the Facebook SW/TCat pages were complaining last week about belt issues too. If some of these machines are dealing with alignment issues I could see it affecting either branded machine.

He’s also running the 8dn belt which is longer and requires 268.5mm centers, the 8jp is within spec at 262mm. Being off even 10mm won’t kill you as long as you know what to do with your offset to compensate. If you get too long on your Center to Center then there’s the real possibility of bottoming out the belt in the secondary which is never good.
Soupy’s issue appears to be one of maintaining parallel, atleast from the vids.
That's the center to center....262mm?

So 268.5mm CtC is correct for 8DN?

I did not think the engine was movable.

Does anyone know for sure if we can move the engine ahead to achieve 268.5mm CtC?

Why wouldn't YAM just do this from get-go and use 8DN belts then?

Dan

Does anyone know for sure if we can move the engine ahead to achieve 268.5mm CtC?

Dan

268.5mm is the middle spec for 8dn because it’s a longer belt. I believe +/- 2.5mm variation?
262~267mm is the tolerance spec for 8jp. Which puts the middle spec at 264.5mm.
Let’s say your on the low side for the 8jp at 262mm. Be aware that being on the low side of the Center to Center you should compensate your offset to be also on the low side near 58mm.
This will keep the belt straight in the sheaves. Changing your Center to Center or running a different length belt will also change slightly how sled performs/shifts out.
I like to be on the low side of the offset with high horsepower sleds, to much offset is a belt killer causing the secondary to open faster than it should, releasing some belt grip and over shifting.

Dan

I think you are correct Dan I also didnt think the motor was moveable..

Back