• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Offset wrong under load? Video

Front mounts are slotted but the rears are not so not really movable but you could get a couple mm either direction.I dont think you would evre be able to get it to 268mm without doing some work to the rear mounts. Also from past experience typically if your centre to centre is short it is because the motor has been pulled towards the secondary and the clutches will no longer be parallel or may appear to be parallel while static but will go out under load. Someone needs to come up with a torque link kit or something like that for the sidewinder to keep everything straight under load. I installed solid motor mounts in my viper to fix the problem but that's no good for a trail sled.

268.5mm is the middle spec for 8dn because it’s a longer belt. I believe +/- 2.5mm variation?
262~267mm is the tolerance spec for 8jp. Which puts the middle spec at 264.5mm.
Let’s say your on the low side for the 8jp at 262mm. Be aware that being on the low side of the Center to Center you should compensate your offset to be also on the low side near 58mm.
This will keep the belt straight in the sheaves. Changing your Center to Center or running a different length belt will also change slightly how sled performs/shifts out.
I like to be on the low side of the offset with high horsepower sleds, to much offset is a belt killer causing the secondary to open faster than it should, releasing some belt grip and over shifting.

Great info! I will check my center to center tonight.

I checked mine after I blew a belt and before I took things apart and it was at 59.95mm with no shim behind secondary. I added shim behind secondary and its now at 60.95. Hope that helps to not blow another belt. Also while I had it all apart I did measurements before secondary was put back together as it made measuring easier.

offset.jpg

Last edited:
too much offset is a belt killer causing the secondary to open faster than it should, releasing some belt grip and over shifting.

This is different from me...I am at 61.2mm and still on the same belt since asphalt season. This is how I set all my clutch setups I do and only 1 belt blown....but it had 1,400 miles on it.

This is different from me...I am at 61.2mm and still on the same belt since asphalt season. This is how I set all my clutch setups I do and only 1 belt blown....but it had 1,400 miles on it.

What’s your Center to Center?

im on my second belt in 2500miles. not too bad i think running the same boost as you!

What’s your Center to Center?

Haven't checked yet.... My thinking was that the engine was permanently mounted in one position. This is why I would like to see a poll on what everyone's C/C is and who's blowing belts. This all comes down to the assembly people.

Got the aluminum ready, just waiting for CNC time as our shop is mega busy right now.

Gone gone gone...hey that’s a good tune!

Last edited:
Let me clarify “offset situation worse”.
A longer belt will require less offset to run straight in the clutches.

Let me clarify “offset situation worse”.
A longer belt will require less offset to run straight in the clutches.

I am with you on this one. I have 0.1mm shim behind my secondary now. And my belt go straight. If I measure on the backside of the secondary the measure is 14.8mm.

Hey what does Aaen know anyway

Last edited:
For the record belts are still blowing with dalton b/o and proper deflection.

Yeah Ive blown just as many belts with Dalton components as stock.

Not worthy

Last edited:

Back