• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder upper gear with oiling hole?

I say don't get cheap with your 15k sled... Get a billet to gear from Taylor or venom... Yep.. Pricey.... but if that cheap gear fails laying the wick... The damage could be catastrophic...

This sucks, cause I just changed mine out! Its like Murphys law was written for me. Guess I will just run it for the season and tear into it again next season!

I cannot confirm the metal material of the 17's or 18's Yamaha. I can just confirm that in 2016 my turbo cat gears were listed as the new borg Warner hyvo's and the gear was tested and it was not hyvo or anything that great, only the chain was hyvo. It's hard for me to believe your getting a hyvo gear from Yamaha or Cat now for $20 or so. The crappy cat gears in 2012/13 were also only $22. I wouldn't trust those $20 gears no matter what they say on the package.

As stated. Older gears were rexnord gears, newer gears are Borg Warner.

Rexnord were junk and the Borg Warner seem to be holding up much better.

Anyone heard of one off the new Borg Warners failing ?

I picked up a 22 tooth no hole PN 1702-395 from Country Cat last season with no oil holes. It is obvious when you look at it under magnification it is not sintered as it's been machined, deburred and heat treated. It is a Hyvo gear as well. the date on it is 2016 06 14.

You only have two choices for sprockets, silent chain or Hyvo. You can see the difference on the tooth profile. Hyvo is rounded and silent is a straight tooth.

Silent chain and sprocket. Notice the more square flat tooth profile.

20120730101441000813436.png

Hyvo chain & sprocket. Notice the more rounded tooth profile and rounded bottom link of chain.

bw-i130076.tmb-bw-detail.jpg

You can somewhat see the difference in tooth profile between the two sprockets in these photos I posted. I can see it clearly I guess because I know the difference between the two.

You can not mix and match the sprockets and chain between the two or you will have binding and early failure of the gear and/or chain.

And sintered sprockets will not hold up to the abuse in tooth sizes below about 25 teeth in any type of drag race application. Sintered is easy ro spot as like cannondale posted pic the part numbers are cast in and rounded. All a sintered sprocket is, is a powder metal pressed together type gear. I can't imagine Cat would have used them in a turbo application but maybe they did proir to Yamaha getting involved.

No need to spend big money on aftermarket gears like some have posted. Nothing wrong with the factory supplied factory stuff as long as you buy the correct one for the proper Hyvo chain. It might be made in China and cheap, but from what I see it is a billet Hyvo gear. The sky is not falling.

There are drill bits made to drill thru hardened gears too, if I have the time I may just try and put in three or four holes as I have the bits here to do it.

Last edited:
How’s the bushing holding up with the oil hole that’s the million dollar question??

Another thing to watch for is the sintered gear I have has a narrower gear, not the big gear but the small one that engages with the rev gear. So not only is it crap metal it has less contact on the drive gear. Another reason to never use this gear like I was thinking of doing.
I don't have a picture to compare the two sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_6205.JPG
    IMG_6205.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 214
I picked up a 22 tooth no hole PN 1702-395 from Country Cat last season with no oil holes. It is obvious when you look at it under magnification it is not sintered as it's been machined, deburred and heat treated. It is a Hyvo gear as well. the date on it is 2016 06 14.

You only have two choices for sprockets, silent chain or Hyvo. You can see the difference on the tooth profile. Hyvo is rounded and silent is a straight tooth.

Silent chain and sprocket. Notice the more square flat tooth profile.

20120730101441000813436.png

Hyvo chain & sprocket. Notice the more rounded tooth profile and rounded bottom link of chain.

bw-i130076.tmb-bw-detail.jpg

You can somewhat see the difference in tooth profile between the two sprockets in these photos I posted. I can see it clearly I guess because I know the difference between the two.

You can not mix and match the sprockets and chain between the two or you will have binding and early failure of the gear and/or chain.

And sintered sprockets will not hold up to the abuse in tooth sizes below about 25 teeth in any type of drag race application. Sintered is easy ro spot as like cannondale posted pic the part numbers are cast in and rounded. All a sintered sprocket is, is a powder metal pressed together type gear. I can't imagine Cat would have used them in a turbo application but maybe they did proir to Yamaha getting involved.

No need to spend big money on aftermarket gears like some have posted. Nothing wrong with the factory supplied factory stuff as long as you buy the correct one for the proper Hyvo chain. It might be made in China and cheap, but from what I see it is a billet Hyvo gear. The sky is not falling.

There are drill bits made to drill thru hardened gears too, if I have the time I may just try and put in three or four holes as I have the bits here to do it.
Great info. It's nice to get some idea of what is out there and what not to use.

You are absolutely right it's easy to see the difference between sintered and the good machined gears.

Gear on the right is the stock good gear with bad bushing.

Attachments

• IMG_6185.JPG
    IMG_6185.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 232
Great info. It's nice to get some idea of what is out there and what not to use.

You are absolutely right it's easy to see the difference between sintered and the good machined gears.

Gear on the right is the stock good gear with bad bushing.

Excellent pic there. the one on the left is also silent chain and on the right is Hyvo and real steel, you can see the tooth profile difference as well as sintered vs steel.

Well tried drilling thru a new 22 tooth here and got 5.5mm in easy and then stopped dead in my tracks. No go.
Went thru two bits and trashed them both. These were Rodman brand bits made in Germany that are supposed to drill thru anything. They show them drilling thru hardened files and all kinds of gears etc. But I cant get thru the 22 tooth Cat gear with even one hole let alone three or four holes.

Guess it needs drilled prior to heat treating.

Well tried drilling thru a new 22 tooth here and got 5.5mm in easy and then stopped dead in my tracks. No go.
Went thru two bits and trashed them both. These were Rodman brand bits made in Germany that are supposed to drill thru anything. They show them drilling thru hardened files and all kinds of gears etc. But I cant get thru the 22 tooth Cat gear with even one hole let alone three or four holes.

Guess it needs drilled prior to heat treating.

Carbide “wink wink”

Is hole about 1/8in dia? If so will give carbide frill a try.

Your gonna need a mill and coolant so you don’t break the drill. If you have a realy really good drill press and clamp the vice down you might get away without breaking the drill.

Back